Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 ProTips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flipb
A ProTip is learned through years of ownership. A ProTip can't be found in official factory documentation, but is nevertheless essential to successful 914 ownership.

Share yours.
flipb
ProTip #279: If your grocery trip includes frozen food, use the front trunk for homeward transport of these items.
PanelBilly
If you take the tire out of the front trunk, you can get a keg to fit.
ws91420
The amount of time on jackstands is inversely disproportionate to the amount of time driving.
Cupomeat
#67 - If the gas gauge is reading low and the light goes on, then the gauge starts to read higher, your car is NOT producing its own gas, you are going to run out soon.

#495 - When driving around with the roof in the trunk, put a towel between the roof and the trunk lid to avoid rubbing that might happen when settling or moving due to sprited driving.

#3 - The enjoyment of driving a 914 that needs a paint job should not be squandered on wishing you had a pretty car. For once it is painted you will be afraid to drive it (or park it anywhere).

#9017 - Fix all the little things as they break for when they add up, you will decrease the enjoyment of your car exponentially until they are corrected.

#2 - "Rust Free" 914s do not exist. Some are not rusting obviously anymore (or significantly), but they all have rust (unless you have ripped apart every seam and panel).

#77 - A small amount of effort renewing the shift linkage bushings will be the best investment in the way the car drives.

speed metal army
Tip #667-When you purchase your 914,and plan to trailer it home,buy insurance.Lots of insurance. laugh.gif
Andyrew
#867 Even if not in use for years, the yearly cost on a non running 914 is about the same as a running/driving 914.
oldschool
You can put 5 Mexican in a 914 av-943.gif Click to view attachment
flipb
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 24 2010, 11:07 PM) *

This gives me an idea... damn shame that the Car-B-Que 914 is missing the front half, could've been a portable party.
majkos
QUOTE(flipb @ Oct 25 2010, 04:44 AM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 24 2010, 11:07 PM) *

This gives me an idea... damn shame that the Car-B-Que 914 is missing the front half, could've been a portable party.

Don't worry about beer space happy11.gif
Kar B Q will go through a change this winter very_first_smiley[1].gif
mojorisen914
Oh Crap! Kevin is already in his planning stage.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(oldschool @ Oct 25 2010, 12:22 AM) *

GREAT photo, when was this? Recent? It has a 1979 feel to it, but given the dash cracks, it must be newer.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
do not color change your 914 unless you want to wind up with a mess on your hands
J P Stein
They were not designed or built to last 40 years. Your average bloke will have to step waaay out of his comfort zone to make it safe & reliable.
bandjoey
#111. if U have an AC condensor and a keg won't fit, line the front trunk with painters plastic and ice it down. When finished or sloshing drunk, poke a hole in the plastic to drain the water out via the AC hole. drunk.gif
oldschool
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Oct 25 2010, 07:42 AM) *

QUOTE(oldschool @ Oct 25 2010, 12:22 AM) *

GREAT photo, when was this? Recent? It has a 1979 feel to it, but given the dash cracks, it must be newer.

1989 Halloween my first 914, my Girls are now married.
majkos
Back in the days, when I was young and foolish,
now just foolish smile.gif
I bought a 914, to get me to the ski area's faster than my VW (type III sqbk)
the rear trunk is a great place to store the ski boots,
toasty warm upon arrival! piratenanner.gif

Tip #7 full set of stud tires (All four wheels)
can get you over icy pass. Can you say "driftin'?"

914's are awesome in snow, (with correct tires)
buck toenges
a keg of beer on the passenger side and 4 frat brothers on the targa bar can cause the passenger door to not quite close properly.....the previous act WILL cause the passenger side rear suspension ear to break off a few years later.
You can fit all your clothes and kitchen utensils with 20 cases of Coors beer in a '70 914 while returning from a Huston Texas co-op job in 1979. Just don't get into an accident or you will foam to death.
There are things that can be accomplished with college co-eds that you might not think possible in a 914.
RFoulds
#126 If the door gaps are not correct, or door does not shut properly, it never will.

#127 No matter how perfect your 914 is, the PCA members in your region will think their beat up 924/944/968/Boxster is a better car.

#128. 911 owners will not wave to you.

#129. non-Porsche owners will look at your 914 and frown, "cute car," as they climb into their oversize, lifted, 4-wheel drive, crew cab pickup, taking up two parking spaces.

#130. You are more likely to get hit by lightning than to ever experience a 914 drive of over 100 miles where everything works perfectly 100% of the time.

#130. You are more likely to win a state lottery than to sell a 914 for more than 50% of the money you have put into it.

#131. You will never own a more fun car.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
don't make your 914 into a 916 clone, they are UGLY!
Rleog
"They were not designed or built to last 40 years. Your average bloke will have to step waaay out of his comfort zone to make it safe & reliable." JP Stein

I've been so far out of my comfort zone that I've become comfortable with it.

And, paraphrasing Andyrew:

The yearly cost on a non running 914 is, eventually, exponentially higher than a running/driving 914.

black73
#67 - If the gas gauge is reading low and the light goes on, then the gauge starts to read higher, your car is NOT producing its own gas, you are going to run out soon.

#67a-- if the gauge reads empty, don't wait for the light to come on before adding gas. The light is not going to come on and you will run out of gas.!
motomadness1947
The truth is if you have not experience all the problems listed in the famous book by George Hussey, you will or you have never owned one of these insipid vehicles yet.
windforfun
# 69: Caution - letting your girlfriend or wife drive with the top off is the equivalent of instant panty remover.
r_towle
Always park on a hill so that when you finally experience the dead starter or hot start problem, you have a way to get the car started.

this applies to any aircooled car..

RIch
r_towle
when you are considering buying your first 914, start looking for a parts car immediately...you will need at least one if not more than one
r_towle
momentum driving is a skill that can be forgotten.
r_towle
The 914 is the only porsche you can own that does not make your penis appear larger...nor does it have to.
r_towle
never join an online 914 social network if you dont have a sense of humor and cant take a joke..or you dont like sarcasm.
r_towle
There are no bolt on HP parts for a 914.
windforfun
# 88 - Actual cargo space is much smaller than suggested in the brochures, but actual blonde girlfriend is much better equiped.
windforfun
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 25 2010, 06:12 PM) *

Always park on a hill so that when you finally experience the dead starter or hot start problem, you have a way to get the car started.

RIch

Always park next to a bar.
RickS
107. Most people under the age of 30, (for arguement sake, let's call them the 'unwashed') will not have a clue what the car is, but will like it anway.

108. Remove, or check inside, your rockers annually and remove any dirt, rust, beer cans, and small animals (dead or alive).

109. Don't tell your wife/girlfriend/mistress/one night stand you bought the car for her - she will never buy it (axe me how I know).

oldschool
agree.gif A shop owner today (rotary) said to me ....is the more in the back unsure.gif
majkos
QUOTE(windforfun @ Oct 25 2010, 06:25 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 25 2010, 06:12 PM) *

RIch

Always park next to a bar.

I gotta say, this is a dam good tip!
the volunteers are rewarded on how little it takes. blink.gif
BTDT, Too many times. headbang.gif
Pat Garvey
Never, evr hink that parking your pristine 914 in a controlled environment for 6 years will not render it a money pit when you decide to get back to it.

It won't wait for you!
Pat
campbellcj
My latest tip fresh from Saturday: don't go out on the racetrack without the gas cap firmly attached.

blowup.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.