Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: spewing fuel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solo1
Driving the car sunday morning, smelling fuel, thought it was the Harley riding in front paid no mind till i had to get gas and the engine bay has fuel sprayed all over it. got to house and fuel is dripping/running onto the floor. engine shuts off flow stops, so at least the fuel pump is working just fine. Clearly there is a leak somewhere where to start looking?
Als914
Sounds like a fuel hose leak. Lucky you did't go up in flames!
I would replace all fuel hoses in the engine bay...be sure to use 5/16,30R9 rated fuel hose, it's made for the newer gasoline addiitives.
Good Luck.
windforfun
I had an injector leak like crazy on me. It happened while I was backing out of the driveway. Lucky or what?
jsayre914
if its fuel injected...

you said the bay was sprayed, so that means the leak is up top. If it does end up being a faulty fuel hose you will want to replace all the hose top to bottom.

start at the passenger fuel rail and see that the clamps are tight, also check if they are the right (non intrusive clamps) and then follow to both injectors, some have crimps and some have clamps. look for cracking at the end of any hoses. then follow across to the regulator and then the driver side rail and injectors.

last place would be the cold start injector clamps. the injectors themselves have been known to leak right out of the plastic parts too.

i think that about covers it.

good luck chowtime.gif
bmtrnavsky
I just replaced all of my fuel line a few weeks ago... Small price to pay not to have a literal "CarBQ"
jsayre914
fuel leaking is never good, i have had this pic on my computer for a while now sad.gif
Let it scare you poke.gif
solo1
Holy crap thanks for the advice. been searching pelican auto atlanta etc anybody know where i can buy all the necessary fuel lines in one fell swoop rather then trying to guess or anyplace to go to identify every single line necessary to replace them all at once?
Tom
Yep, that's scary!
I had a similar thing happen to my 70 back in about 76. I was headed up the road in San Diego to Poway and had the top off. Kept feeling little specks of wetness hitting my arm. Looked up, not a cloud in the sky. Smelled my arm, oh _hit, gas smell. Pulled over, gas was spraying from a split in the rubber gas hose. Had some tape and wrapped it several times. Started it up, no leak. Whew! By this time the gas in the engine bay had evaporated, so off to home. Bought some new fuel hose and replaced all of it.
I think you just need 12-15 feet of the correct high pressure fuel hose ( see post #2) and remove one at a time and cut to match the piece you remove and replace. Make sure to use only the solid type hose clamps. Also make sure the short injector hoses are good and replace them if possible. On my 76, I was able to remove the injector rubber lines and replaced them at the same time. I have heard some injectors are harder to do this, but I haven't seen them myself.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.