Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to protect your Boxster from theft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jonwatts
Definitely not my first, fifth, or fiftyeth color choice.

IPB Image
Bruce Allert
That's one of the colors Ford painted their Probe cool_shades.gif
bruce
Steve Thacker
Don't shoot me , but I like the color,...really.
I'd take the car if it was painted titty pink biggrin.gif
boxstr
Jon I see you have a pic of my boxstr. I have since painted it black, added silver hood badge and clear front headlites. Oh and color match plugs in the two lic. plate holes in the front bumper.
CCLinLOO
mskala
That boxster's not too bad. I wouldn't conciously pick that
color but it's far far from the worst ones. Here's a pic of a
924 that's halfway between purple and blue. Looks awful.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
Brad Roberts
Perfect track car. How much do they want for it ??

B
jonwatts
That 924 is beautiful! Just goes to show how opinions differ.

Who knows how much for the boxster (reserve auction), it's a '99 on ebay.

Plus it's in Orlando.

I currently like the Boxster best in dark colors. For some reason I also like it in yellow but I'd never buy one that color.

[EDIT] Now here's an interesting one ('nother ebay Boxster). I don't quite believe the HP claims but still probably a fun car with some kick.
Curvie Roadlover
Jon, Maybe the color grows on you, like your olympic blue teener! happy11.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Apr 10 2003, 11:08 AM)
Jon, Maybe the color grows on you, like your olympic blue teener! happy11.gif

You mean my soon-to-be Adriatic blue teener
airsix
Wow. I saw that 924 and thought "Audi LZ5W". Why would I think that? Because it's almost exactly the color I was thinking of painting MY 914. I think it looks very nice.

Ok guys, lets get this out in the open then. WHAT IS THE BEST COLOR? (not just 914 colors) Ok, black is the best color, but what is the second best color? No, wait, my last 914 was Yellow, which is the second best color. What is the third best color? That's what I really need to know. Ready, set, vote. (Anyone who says delphi green gets slapped)

I'm going to paint my 914 and I've pretty much resingned myself to a color change. I'm just not happy with Olympic Blue. Even worse is that our club anouncer insists on calling out my times as "Ben Messinger in the baby-blue 914" Ughhh.

-Ben M.
SirAndy
QUOTE(airsix @ Apr 10 2003, 01:55 PM)
WHAT IS THE BEST COLOR? (not just 914 colors) Ok, black is the best color, but what is the second best color? No, wait, my last 914 was Yellow, which is the second best color. What is the third best color? That's what I really need to know. Ready, set, vote. (Anyone who says delphi green gets slapped)

1. Guards Red
2. Guards Red
3. Guards Red
Gint
I love Delphi Green
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Apr 10 2003, 11:11 AM)
You mean my soon-to-be Adriatic blue teener

Good move, Jon!!!
Adriatic blue is an awesome color aktion035.gif
Mueller
I like that color green on the Boxster, better than the pastel yellow on some of them...

I vote for screaming yellow for a 914 or early 911.
My white 914 is boring...I'd love to paint some graphics on it using House Of Color products to make it standout a little better.

I actually think my C2 is boring in black...it's hard to see all the curves in that color.
airsix
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 10 2003, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE(airsix @ Apr 10 2003, 01:55 PM)
WHAT IS THE BEST COLOR? (not just 914 colors) Ok, black is the best color, but what is the second best color? No, wait, my last 914 was Yellow, which is the second best color.  What is the third best color? That's what I really need to know. Ready, set, vote. (Anyone who says delphi green gets slapped)

1. Guards Red
2. Guards Red
3. Guards Red

Ok, I'd agree with you except that there are only about 4 running 914's in the tri-county area I live in and at least 2 of them are Guards Red repaints. I need to be different (It's funny hearing myself say that. Driving a 914 already puts me about 3 standard deviations from the mean).

-Ben M.

ps - I think silver is the best 911 color (tradition!), but was dissapointed with it on a 914.
drew365
The worse thing about that color green on the Boxster is that it probably has a blue top. I saw the same combo on a new Jaguar ragtop and nearly puked. The interior/exterior combo looks like it was put together by someone designing a Maxima.
VegasRacer
Black is the best color only if you don't plan on ever taking you car out of the garage.

I could pick any color when I repainted my race car and I chose a school bus / taxi cab yellow.

I do like guards red - but there are so many out there.

Green should only be used on British cars.

Isn't white the official German / Porsche racing color?

I think Porsche had some great names for the paint for the 914's.
I don't like the color but Zambizi Green is a cool name.

I wonder why they didn't use arrest-me-red or come-and-get-me-copper?
boxstr
Not really to partial to black, my 914-6 is also black,or will be when painted.
Just got back from taking the boxster out for a drive,in the rain. ohmy.gif
CCLinLOO
Mueller
Your car does not look wet enough smile.gif

This picture was taken this past weekend during our trip to
Mendocino......Hwy 128 was a blast, 68 miles of curves
...I'm sure my wife is thinking:
"what kind of idiot takes a picture of thier car in the rain???"
Gint
Isn't white the official German / Porsche racing color?

Actually, silver is the German car racing color.

Myself, on a 914 I'm partial to screamin yellow and tangerine (good thing mine is tangerine).

But I REALLY like Delphi Green
jonwatts
This would make a great poll question but there are more 914 factory colors than the 10 items max you can have on a poll.

I have colors I like and dislike but it really depends on the car. I've seen Boxsters in school bus yellow and it looks really good. That pasty yellow color is for limp-wristers. I don't like maintaining black but it sure looks nice when it's new.

On a 914 I like all of the different flavors of orange (Nepal, Signal, Tangerine), and some of the more vibrant blues.

Another great Porsche color combo I've seen is a Baltic blue 944 with white linen interior. I have a picture at home I'll post in a little while.
Brad Roberts
How many "poll" questions would you like ?? I can change it on the fly.

B
jonwatts
10 is good, more than that and nobody would read it. Just too many choices for a good poll question. It's like, "What's your favorite letter in the alphabet?"

"A"?
"B"?
"C"?
tracks914
I am glad nobody said they liked the metalic gold, cause I am going to paint mine (originally gold, then silver, then white and then white again) crome yellow like this one. The green if Ok but should be only on British cars.
Bleyseng
Mueller, that pic is priceless!! I think she is thinking " What the HELL does he think he is doing!"
If the white 914 is too boring, paint it like a Creamsicle! Now that is a bold color scheme.
Geoff
L8Apex
I have 2 black cars too. I hate taking care of them! But when they clean, I love them.

I remember my GF asking me why I always vollunteer to drive to santa cruz through hwy17. Gee.... I wonder mueba.gif smlove2.gif
Brad Roberts
Mike!! Your wife is Black !!

Oh wait. I have already used that 10 times.

Good shot of the car Mikey.

B
Mueller
Brad wrote:Mike!! Your wife is Black !!

So am I, I'm just trapped in a white guys body smile.gif

Actually, I'd say she's closer to Mocha
fuch toy
Got any tan lines?
seanery
Mike,

How is the car since the disaster? Any residual side effects?
jonwatts
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 10 2003, 07:16 PM)
Mike,

How is the car since the disaster? Any residual side effects?

Whenever he drives by an 18 wheeler he screams like a little girl, other than that I think he's pretty normal.

Good picture mike.
L8Apex
his car always looks like it's driving sidesways. hm... maybe alignment is off. hehe confused24.gif
Carl
<------ Then there's Gemini Blue clap56.gif

This thread will not spiral into the YPAF (Yellow Porsches are Faster) fighting19.gif thing again.

Carl
Mueller
Residual effects from the wreck?? not too many, but I do check my tire pressure every couple days now and also inspect my tires for nails/screws.

i did freak out about a month ago driving over the Bay Bridge from Oakland into San Fransisco...I started to think about the accident and noticed that I had slowed down to less than 40mph (speed limit is 50+) and was starting to hyperventilate...the thought of getting a blowout and going over the side of the bridge into the water scared the hell out of me........

Maybe a poll to see what color are the 914s that actually run and drive biggrin.gif
914guy
WOO! My first post.

Anyway I have to say that the best color on the Boxster is Arena Red. I don't know what is going on with the hood there (swirl marks) must be the way that the light was hitting the car when I took the picture!

IPB Image
jonwatts
Hi Eric, welcome.

Is arena red the same as what most people call burgundy on the early Boxsters or is it a different color alltogether?
Carl
Definitely not my first, fifth, or fiftyeth color choice.

Jon, so what color would you choose to best simulate motion?

Carl
jonwatts
Ouch, Carl.

But I guess it would have to be yellow, of course. mueba.gif
anthony
I keep hearing about how cheap Boxster engines are from wrecks. How come nobody has put a complete Boxster engine+tranny in a 914? What are the major obstacles?
fuch toy
Radiators....
Brad Roberts
Anthony..

I'm working on it. My wifes GT flared 914.

B
anthony
Cool!!! I'm sure many will want to walk in your footsteps.
Brad Roberts
It has been on and off other peoples plates for awhile. She gave me the green light a month ago and the money arrived in the account 2 weeks ago. "Muellers6" has to be finished before I can start on her car. She wanted a V8, but I talked her out of that.

B
seanery
Anyone done a teener in Arena Red. I agree its a stunning color.

....water....water.....water.....Boxster motors would be great, but plumbing would be a beyotch!
Brad Roberts
Plumbing is no problem. I have built anough V8 914's.. plumbing is the easy part. I'm debating on using the twin rad setup or the typical large single like I use in the V8 cars.

B
jonwatts
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 11 2003, 03:27 PM)
....water....water.....water.....Boxster motors would be great, but plumbing would be a beyotch!

Not really. I think water cooled engines go against most people's principles more than the technical problems. There are plenty of slick ways to add radiators to 914s and only a couple have been done so far.
seanery
where would you do the twins on a 914?

Remove the headlight buckets?
Lawrence
Joe Yoder (in DFW area) did his 914 2.0 in Arena Red. It took Best 914/4 at the Mid US Ramble car show last year.

Nice color, and he takes good care of his car.
seanery
Is that the car with the subtle flares?
Lawrence
No, that's the red 914 V8 conversion owned by Rich Fischer.

Rich is a body man, who did his own rear flares and paint. The fenders are very classy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.