Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
I changed my oil today using 20/50 brad penn, and I changed all the gaskets for the exhaust. the exaust sounds beautiful.

My friend was helping me and I decided to take him home. After driving 5 city blocks, I heard a weird noise like the fan is touching something (squeeking). pulled over turned off the car. I try to start the car, the noise is there as the starter is spining.
Pushed the car back home, double check everything, even try to loosen the exhaust, the same thing.

The noise looks like its coming from the starter or flyweel. I removed the coil cable so the car wont start, try to start it and there was no noise. I put the cable back, the car started and the noise dissapeared. but each time i start the car i hear the noise as the starter is spinning, except when the coil is unplug.

during the oil change, I removed the round plate next to the oil plug by accident at the bottom. I put it back the same way.. is my flyweel loose or is it the starter solenoid? why would the solenoid come out as i am driving?
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 26 2010, 09:03 PM) *

I changed my oil today using 20/50 brad penn, and I changed all the gaskets for the exhaust. the exaust sounds beautiful.

My friend was helping me and I decided to take him home. After driving 5 city blocks, I heard a weird noise like the fan is touching something (squeeking). pulled over turned off the car. I try to start the car, the noise is there as the starter is spining.
Pushed the car back home, double check everything, even try to loosen the exhaust, the same thing.

The noise looks like its coming from the starter or flyweel. I removed the coil cable so the car wont start, try to start it and there was no noise. I put the cable back, the car started and the noise dissapeared. but each time i start the car i hear the noise as the starter is spinning, except when the coil is unplug.

during the oil change, I removed the round plate next to the oil plug by accident at the bottom. I put it back the same way.. is my flyweel loose or is it the starter solenoid? why would the solenoid come out as i am driving?

Okay, where are all the experts at out there? This guy needs a little help and I am too dumb, somebody help him please. poke.gif
VaccaRabite
morning bump.

This guy bought a dog of an engine and has done a kick ass job of bringing it back to life. But a squeal is too much for me to guess on. Any New York locals that can help out? The car is in Queens.

Zach
TheCabinetmaker
Did that round plate have one bolt in the center of it? How tight did you tighten that bolt? Did you use a torque wrench? Was it more than about 8 or 9 lbs?
914itis
YES IT HAS A BOLT AND AT FIRST I DID IT REAL TIGHT WITH A WRENCH, THEN AFTER HEARING THE NOISE, I TOOK IT OFF AND PUT IT BACK. i TIGHTEN IT WITH A WRENCH BUT NOT TOO TIGHT.
914itis
QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 27 2010, 07:42 AM) *

YES IT HAS A BOLT AND AT FIRST I DID IT REAL TIGHT WITH A WRENCH, THEN AFTER HEARING THE NOISE, I TOOK IT OFF AND PUT IT BACK. i TIGHTEN IT WITH A WRENCH BUT NOT TOO TIGHT.

Can this round plate shown in this picture cause my issue. what is the function of this plate and how tight it has to be?Click to view attachment
SLITS
If you overtightened the bolt, you could have cracked the boss it goes into ... very bad ..... but I can't see a "squeal" coming from it. Plate does nothing but cover a big hole in the case, and hold the oil strainer in place.

It is possible that the starter solenoid could be questionable and not pulling the Bendix gear back into position and it is hitting the fly wheel, but I don't think that would make a squealing sound ... more of a grinding sound in my estimation.

If from the starter, the squeal could be the bearing/bushings in the starter motor are getting ready to take a crap.

Can't see why unplugging the coil would make a difference.

Next guess would be the impeller/ alternator belt hitting the engine tin due to loose/missing fastners, very loose belt or a worn belt.

Last guess would be the rear main seal. I had an engine that would chirp like a bird when running. Lips on rear main seal blew outward from internal pressure in the case (blowby).

Next .......................
914itis
Griding is correct not squeeking.
DNHunt
Can this round plate shown in this picture cause my issue. what is the function of this plate and how tight it has to be?

The answer to the first part of the question is maybe (notice maybe, other things need checking first). That nut screws onto a the oil pickup tube and tightens the sump plate up. Unfortunately, VW's design was in my opinion kind of weak since an eye on the top of the oil pick up tube is capture by 8mm case bolt. The problem with tightening it more that the 9.6 ft/lbs of torque is that it can break the boss for that case bolt and that boss is integral with the center camshaft journal. It may be that the cam bore is not true now.

There are probably a bunch of other possible cause to pursue first. I can think of 2 I would start with, checking the area near the fan for something loose, checking the tension on the alternator belt to see if it is slipping.

Dave
914itis
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Oct 27 2010, 09:54 AM) *

Can this round plate shown in this picture cause my issue. what is the function of this plate and how tight it has to be?

The answer to the first part of the question is maybe (notice maybe, other things need checking first). That nut screws onto a the oil pickup tube and tightens the sump plate up. Unfortunately, VW's design was in my opinion kind of weak since an eye on the top of the oil pick up tube is capture by 8mm case bolt. The problem with tightening it more that the 9.6 ft/lbs of torque is that it can break the boss for that case bolt and that boss is integral with the center camshaft journal. It may be that the cam bore is not true now.

There are probably a bunch of other possible cause to pursue first. I can think of 2 I would start with, checking the area near the fan for something loose, checking the tension on the alternator belt to see if it is slipping.

Dave

i think that it is my starter. when I release the key, as the engine starts, the noise goes away now.
Kirmizi
High-torque starter needing a shim? idea.gif
Mike
914itis
gonna pickup one and start from there. I know that the FLAPS are not the best place to get one, if anything, i will return it. at least I will have an idea
914itis
QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 27 2010, 11:09 AM) *

gonna pickup one and start from there. I know that the FLAPS are not the best place to get one, if anything, i will return it. at least I will have an idea

Noise is definitely coming from flywheel / starter area. Still tryng to locate a starter. Anythng else in in that area that can be loose or torn to to make such noise?
Drums66
....From what you said & what you already found out....just a guess idea.gif
(starter) bye1.gif
914itis
QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 27 2010, 02:18 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 27 2010, 11:09 AM) *

Noise is definitely coming from flywheel / starter area. Still tryng to locate a starter. Anythng else in in that area that can be loose or torn to to make such noise?

ok All thank you so much, the scary part is over. It was the [/size]Starter. [/color][/b][font=Arial Black][size=7]

everything is fine, but it does not start here. I think that I need carb adjustment. It runs fine but it looks like its running on a bad gas. or on 3 cyl. I still need an expert to help me set this up
orange914
QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 27 2010, 03:33 PM) *

everything is fine, but it does not start here. I think that I need carb adjustment. It runs fine but it looks like its running on a bad gas. or on 3 cyl. I still need an expert to help me set this up

i would check the engine end play also, IF the soliniod pull back problem was minimal. (you confirmed that on the starter itself?) why did it only start after the oil change? it's not because you didn't use quality & heavy enough weight oil. am i wrong that this is a new to you engine? p.o. use gear oil before change? seen that.
914itis
I never say that it did not start. the car was always starting but there was a noise when spinning the starter. the noise started as I was driving, that was the scary part, after changing the oil.. i guest it was just a coincidence
orange914
QUOTE(orange914 @ Oct 27 2010, 08:24 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 27 2010, 03:33 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 27 2010, 08:37 PM) *

i would check the engine end play also, IF the soliniod pull back problem was minimal. (you confirmed that on the starter itself?) why did it only start after the oil change? it's not because you didn't use quality & heavy enough weight oil. am i wrong that this is a new to you engine? p.o. use gear oil before change? seen that.

I never say that it did not start. the car was always starting but there was a noise when spinning the starter. the noise started as I was driving, that was the scary part, after changing the oil.. i guest it was just a coincidence

i was meaning why did it start (making the noise) after the oil change. that to me would put question on what is now different, i.e. oil change/tighten cover nut. the picture looked like a new motor. is it new to you?
914itis
This is not my picture. Just got the car don't know much about it.
Thanks for the help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.