Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Rusty is this shit in Iraq for real...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
415PB
Okay, I have seen spiders before, but what in the hell is this. Supposedly a pic of a camel spider in Iraq.
EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to put OT in the title, my bad.
Bleyseng
Those are Jenny's new pets, Bush and Cheney!

Geoff rocking nana.gif
VegasRacer
Spider BBQ. Yummy. chowtime.gif
scotty
ohmy.gif OMG! those're huge!

I had a friend in college that was deathly afraid of spiders... he had major heart attacks every time he saw one ("his wife calls him "Spazzy" biggrin.gif )

THAT would've killed him! Good thing he's ex-navy laugh.gif
SpecialK
Yeah, and the real bitch is they are the fastest non flying arthropod....reaching 10 mph ohmy.gif

They've said that the picture is deceiving as to their actual size.....I don't know, looks too friggin big to me!
415PB
It looks like two stuck together. I just cant frickin stare at it long enough to figure it out laugh.gif
Rusty
Yes, that's for real. Those are exceptionally nice specimens, though.

This picture was discussed a couple of weeks ago. Bottom line: it's real. They grow up to 6 inches, plus legs. It's the fasted non-flying arthropod in the world, and can run up to 10 mph. The bite contains a mild venom that acts like a mosquito bite - it numbs the skin and allows the critter to keep munching.

Their diet is mostly other insects and small animals, but they have gone after larger prey. On rare occasion, they are found in sleeping bags or boots, if someone has all their gear on the ground.

If I saw one, I'd shoot it without hestitation. But they're quick little bastards...

-Rusty smoke.gif

P.S. I added "OT" to your message title.
415PB
Thanks Rusty.

Three words "Fuck that shit."

Be safe out there man.
MattR
"The photo appears to be authentic. Fortunately for all of us, especially the guys in the picture, the same cannot be said of the accompanying text, which merely repeats false rumors circulating since the start of the Iraq war.

This scary-looking creature (actually, it's a pair of scary-looking creatures dangling end-to-end) is indeed commonly called a camel spider, but it is found in arid locales all over the world ? including the southwestern United States ? not just in the Gulf region. A typical specimen can grow to about the size of a child's hand, but, though they are known for being vicious predators (see video), camel spiders are neither venomous nor a threat to human beings.

They don't eat camels, either."

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_c...amel_spider.htm
Hawktel
Speaking of Iraq, Rusty, a bit back, you'd mentioned that some of the Guys with you didn't have anyone to send stuff to them.

You got any names? I've not got alot, but hell, I figure a bag of M&M's from home, with the latest Maxim magazine could brighten some poor bastards day.
Rusty
Before we hijack this thread, I wanted to add: There have been urban legends about these spiders for years. One story that's been floating around since the first Gulf War is that a soldier fell asleep, and the spider ate most of his nose while he was asleep. ohmy.gif

Young and nieve during ODS, I believed that one for a while. (We need an embarassed smilie.)

// break //

You're right, Ed.. that sure would. In fact, just a postcard or a note will brighten someones day.

I'll PM you a name and address.

Thank you very much for remembering my troops.

-Rusty smoke.gif
eresener
Rusty...

Please PM me with a troop's name/address...my family will certainly help. I personally know how much this means to them.

Ed
sawzall-smiley.gif

Pleiku
Class of 69'

PS...as long as we are on insect stories...I remember living in a hooch where the roaches were the size of coke cans...one night a friend of mine woke up with one of them crawling across his face....obviously it scared the crap out of him...the snakes were bad enough...but he grabbed his 45 and tried to kill it...it had gone under his bed...as he started shooting....the whole compound lit up...flares going off....the 60's lighting up the no-man zones around the compound...all hell broke loose....they thought we were being attacked by the VC...luckily the only thing that died...was that Big F'n roach....and no we weren't smokin anything....
true story....I still laugh at those memories...
seanery
rusty, send me a name and address and I'll send a package. What things are not appropriate there. I'm curious if a Playboy magazine would be a no no.
TheCabinetmaker
Rusty, I'll take a name and address too please. What kinda stuff is in short supply there? When I was in SEA, it was real toilet paper.
Rusty
PMs sent...

thank you, all... smilie_pokal.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
SteveL
Rusty,

I'd like a name and shipping info too. Since I really don't know what is available there, a list of suggestions would be good too.

Steve
eresener
Rusty,
just sent you a PM....but forgot to add that I belong to a pretty tight Vietnam Vets group that would also love to help your troops ....besides most of them would love to be there and help kick ass and take names...we may be old...but still know how to pull the trigger...better watch out for the size of those care packages your people get...old Nam vets popping out of boxes and ready for the sh*t....ha, ha...

times have changed....or have they??

Ed
Rusty
Thanks, Ed. Check your mailbox. Times haven't changed much... cept there's no alchol here, and they don't issue cigarettes in rations anymore. smile.gif

Steve.. thank you. I've PMd you a name and address.

-Rusty smoke.gif
ninefourteener
Yup.... it's true..... all true.

Camel spiders are generally very seclusive, and are rarely seen venturing into highly human-populated areas.

However, they are extremely protective, especially if you come across a nest of them. If threatened, they will not run, they will attack. They generally don't "run" either.. they "hop".... up to distances of 10 to 15 feet at a time on some occasions.

I've never heard of stories of a soldier's nose getting eaten off..... but I have seen pictures of a soldiers arm that was once bitten. The soldier didn't wake up, as the venom "numbed" the area, and the spider munched for quite awhile.

After a couple days, the affected are got so bad that the soldier had to have reconstructive surgury, and skin graphs, as the area literally deteriorated (rotted) after being bitten.

Scary shit huh?
rdracrdave
I spent a few years in Saudi Arabia many moons ago , and allthough I've not seen camel spiders THAT big , they do grow to pretty amazing sizes.
They also hop or jump at you if they dont like what you are doing . I've seen them jump 5-8 feet when provoked.

Stay safe
Dave
DuckRyder
I fucking hate spiders.! ar15.gif
VegasRacer
Giant jumping spiders plus all of this?
Thanks Rusty. IPB Image Glad I'm not there.
reverie
Excellent post. Thank you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.