Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help from the N/A suby guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sawtooth
My conversion engine is installed, now on to the details. Suby guys can you help me identify these fittings and check me on what to do with them? Engine is a 1990 ej22.

1. The small tube comes from a vacuum switch under the intake. Not sure where the
larger tube is, vacuum as well? What should I do with these?

2. This looks like it needs to attach to the main intake filter.

3. Vacuum line, cap this off?

4. Doesn't look like it was ever connected to anything. Leave alone?

5. Case breather? Connect to a small breather filter, or main intake filter?

6. Heater core supply. Probably won't be using. I'll get hot water from front. Assuming I should connect these together?

7. Fuel lines. Pretty sure the top line is main fuel supply. One of the other two is fuel return, not sure which one. What is the third line?

8. Vacuum souce, capping off.

9. Valve cover breathers, adding small breather filter.

Thanks very much for your help.

Passenger Side
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Driver side
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Buy a Haynes manual for whatever car your engine came from and your world will become much less confusing.
sawtooth
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Oct 27 2010, 10:15 PM) *

Buy a Haynes manual for whatever car your engine came from and your world will become much less confusing.

Have one, been through it many times. Great for specific repair procedures, not so great for things like determining which fuel line is which. I just thought someone with an n/a setup could share how they dealt with these items on their install.
strawman
I'm using a hybrid EJ22 turbocharged shortblock with twin-cam EJ20K heads, but my car is not quite done yet. The Factory Service Manual does a great job showing what goes where. If you don't have an FSM, I'd recommend going to a Pick-n-Pull and finding a wrecked one to help identify what goes where; take many pics and draw out what goes where on a notepad. See my comments below for particulars (from my memory here at work...). You can then update the pictures like you did in this posting once you get home for posterity.

QUOTE(sawtooth @ Oct 27 2010, 08:19 PM) *

My conversion engine is installed, now on to the details. Suby guys can you help me identify these fittings and check me on what to do with them? Engine is a 1990 ej22.

1. The small tube comes from a vacuum switch under the intake. Not sure where the larger tube is, vacuum as well? What should I do with these?

I'll have to look at my notes & the engine in my garage on this question.

2. This looks like it needs to attach to the main intake filter.

You can connect to either a small breather filter or main air filter. I plan to use a cone filter for the intake and an oil/fluid catch-can (since I'm using a turbocharged engine), so I'll use a small filter off the catch-can for all of the miscellaneous breathers.

3. Vacuum line, cap this off?

I'll have to look at my notes & the engine in my garage on this one.

4. Doesn't look like it was ever connected to anything. Leave alone?

5. Case breather? Connect to a small breather filter, or main intake filter?

Yes, case breather. Either intake filter, small breather or a catch-can system.

6. Heater core supply. Probably won't be using. I'll get hot water from front. Assuming I should connect these together?

Yes, either connect them together or plug the tubes at their source. I pulled the one off the rear of the cast coolant crossover tube using propane heat and tapped it for a 1/8" NPT plug (the ID of the hole was perfect for the 1/8" NPT tap!).

7. Fuel lines. Pretty sure the top line is main fuel supply. One of the other two is fuel return, not sure which one. What is the third line?

8. Vacuum souce, capping off.

If memory serves, that connects to the power brake system.

9. Valve cover breathers, adding small breather filter.

Yup, or to a centralized breather system.

sawtooth
Thank you, definitely helpful.
QUOTE(strawman @ Oct 28 2010, 01:43 PM) *

I'm using a hybrid EJ22 turbocharged shortblock with twin-cam EJ20K heads, but my car is not quite done yet. The Factory Service Manual does a great job showing what goes where. If you don't have an FSM, I'd recommend going to a Pick-n-Pull and finding a wrecked one to help identify what goes where; take many pics and draw out what goes where on a notepad. See my comments below for particulars (from my memory here at work...). You can then update the pictures like you did in this posting once you get home for posterity.
charliew
OK, 6 is the heater hoses, if you follow them they go to the waterpump and head crossover if I remember right they are one of the bypass circuits it needs to control the thermostat. Yep loop them together.

9 is the head breather

5 is the crankcase breather, I would hook the case breather to the aircleaner and the head vents to a pcv

4 is probably is a hot water connection for the throttlebody to keep it from icing up.

2 is a mystery to me.

I also think 8 is the brake booster vaccum line.

I only have been around my son's sti but the fuel return is controlled by the pressure reg in the return line and if one is smaller than the other it is the smaller one. If there is no reg still with it and the lines are the same size it may not matter which one gets the reg and return line.

Subbug is a forum for subys in dunebuggies, you might see some examples there. http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/board_show.pl?bid=25
sawtooth
thanks very much for the help.

QUOTE(charliew @ Oct 28 2010, 10:02 PM) *

OK, 6 is the heater hoses, if you follow them they go to the waterpump and head crossover if I remember right they are one of the bypass circuits it needs to control the thermostat. Yep loop them together.

9 is the head breather

5 is the crankcase breather, I would hook the case breather to the aircleaner and the head vents to a pcv

4 is probably is a hot water connection for the throttlebody to keep it from icing up.

2 is a mystery to me.

I also think 8 is the brake booster vaccum line.

I only have been around my son's sti but the fuel return is controlled by the pressure reg in the return line and if one is smaller than the other it is the smaller one. If there is no reg still with it and the lines are the same size it may not matter which one gets the reg and return line.

Subbug is a forum for subys in dunebuggies, you might see some examples there. http://www.dunebuggyarchives.com/forum/board_show.pl?bid=25

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.