Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: chrome GT front bumper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
While my car was being repainted (after being rear ended), I decided to have the front bumper rechromed. I had originally made a pretty rough cut out, so I asked the shop to clean up my cut, straighten any waves in the bumper (it was already pretty straight), and then rechrome it.

It turned out way better than I was expecting. They basically rebuilt my original work and the chrome looks awesome. I can't wait to see it on the car (done in about a week)...

-Steve

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

plymouth37
That looks awesome! I did one of those for a customer's car at renegade, a lot of good work went into your bumper and it shows!
PlaysWithCars
Who did it and how much $?
Krieger
WOW! Very nice.
siverson
> Who did it and how much $?

I paid $450 but he did say that he greatly underestimated the project and wouldn't do another one. Or I think it would be 4x the price.

The body shop it's at actually contracted it out and I never got their name. I'll ask though...

-Steve
Cairo94507
Man that is a nice bumper. Were I to run a front cooler, that is exactly the way I would want the bumper done. Very, very nice job.
computers4kids
QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 28 2010, 12:02 AM) *

> Who did it and how much $?

I paid $450 but he did say that he greatly underestimated the project and wouldn't do another one. Or I think it would be 4x the price.

The body shop it's at actually contracted it out and I never got their name. I'll ask though...

-Steve

Steve,
Fantastic looking work! It does look like a lot of work...way behyond my skill range. beer.gif
JmuRiz
Great looking bumper! Will go perfect with the car...BTW what exhaust do you run, a custom made sport exhaust or one bought from somewhere?
siverson
> BTW what exhaust do you run, a custom made sport exhaust or one bought from somewhere?

M&K sport muffler, but I'm switching back to a Dansk dual-in, single out. Too much drone... But the M&K is nice sometimes.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(siverson @ Oct 28 2010, 10:47 AM) *

> BTW what exhaust do you run, a custom made sport exhaust or one bought from somewhere?

M&K sport muffler, but I'm switching back to a Dansk dual-in, single out. Too much drone... But the M&K is nice sometimes.

Interesting, I was/am looking at the M&K too, didn't know it had some sound issues. Let me know if you plan to sell it though...might be fine for my small 2.7.
Cap'n Krusty
With a garage that clean and organized, how do you manage to lose anything?

Must be depressing .................

The Cap'n
strawman
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 28 2010, 12:40 PM) *

With a garage that clean and organized, how do you manage to lose anything?

Must be depressing .................

The Cap'n

av-943.gif lol-2.gif Amen, brother!!!
JmuRiz
Not to mention all that nice metro-shelving to sort/store parts on. Very professional looking space.
RFoulds
Nothing nicer than New chrome. I had bumpers redone once that turned out so well, I was afraid to mount them on the car.

Need some pics of that car when its all done, looks awesome.

mihai914
Hmm, if there was demand and it would be something standard among GT clones, I'm sure you could send an OE GT front bumber to Harrington group so they can get it done in stainless! That would be sweet.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 28 2010, 12:50 PM) *

Not to mention all that nice metro-shelving to sort/store parts on. Very professional looking space.

Costco has 'em. I have a few here at the shop. In fact, we have a couple in our kitchen.

The Cap'n
siverson
Note: photo was taken at the body shop where the car is being repainted, NOT my garage. Although I do like to keep my garage clean, it's nowhere near that clean (or large).

-Steve
gothspeed
Looks awesome smile.gif!
racerbvd
Sweet, I had my bumper modded the same way for my GT clone... But I went with paint my mine..
carr914
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Oct 28 2010, 11:17 PM) *

Sweet, I had my bumper modded the same way for my GT clone... But I went with paint my mine..

Gary did mine too, but I have'nt decided to go Chrome or not
Lou W
Looking great Steve smile.gif
gothspeed
Reviving this old thread to ask a question.

Is there an 'official GT' width and height of the cooler opening on these bumpers?

I will be doing mine in steel, since I am going with chrome finish. Like the one above.
racerbvd
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Oct 25 2012, 07:20 AM) *

Is there an 'official GT' width and height of the cooler opening on these bumpers?

I will be doing mine in steel, since I am going with chrome finish. Like the one above.

Match the opening to the GT valance opening that you are using on your car..
gothspeed
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Oct 25 2012, 08:15 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Oct 25 2012, 07:20 AM) *

Match the opening to the GT valance opening that you are using on your car..

Good idea for the 'width' using a GT fiberglass valance smile.gif ...... but I was looking for a 'factory GT dimension', IF that dimension existed at all ........ because I was also thinking of modifying a stock metal valance to match.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.