Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: price check on a '58 356 coupe project car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Is Rich around? smile.gif

My friend has a rusty but 98% complete, numbers matching coupe he wants to sell I have no idea on price. It would need a full resto, floors, longs, trunk nose bottom engine tray and etc., but it's worth saving.

The 2nd is a complete kit body with 90% the parts to make a complete car (he has windows, trim, seats a proper VW chassis, many parts, etc.

I'm just starting to research this, I'll look at the kit and 356 forums, just tring to get a feel for numbers from the collective.
Thanks!
bandjoey
Www.Allzim.com
Al Zim is a honcho in the 356Registry and known good guy Porsche shop in the DFW area
scotty b
Judging by those pics the real car is a 5000.00 - 7000.00 car and the kit is about 2000.00 to most, but that cheap ass that wants a 356 look may pay more for the kit.
JTarver
There is a 61 model 356 B? that I came across rotting away in this guys yard in Fayetteville, Arkansas. He worked across the street and I asked him how much he wanted for the car, and he asked me how much I wanted to pay for it..but were it shined up, it would be in great shape to restore. It broke my heart to see it just sitting there in the yard, unloved.

Joe
realred914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 28 2010, 05:02 AM) *

Judging by those pics the real car is a 5000.00 - 7000.00 car and the kit is about 2000.00 to most, but that cheap ass that wants a 356 look may pay more for the kit.

yup sounds close, but rust amounts will determine the real price, but expect 15 -20 grand in body work and paint add more for mechanical restoration. maybe cheaper to buy a finished 356 decent drivers go for 20 grand.
Cap'n Krusty
[quote name='realred914' date='Oct 28 2010, 08:07 AM' post='1387882']
sunglasses.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 28 2010, 05:02 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]
yup sounds close, but rust amounts will determine the real price, but expect 15 -20 grand in body work and paint add more for mechanical restoration. maybe cheaper to buy a finished 356 decent drivers go for 20 grand.
[/quote]

We agree on this one! Except maybe the as-is value. I think $3-5K, tops, but there are fools out there that would pay more. $15-20 is a good estimate for the structural and body work, but it could easily run more, and you could easily spend $6-10K on mechanicals, even if you do your own work. The real money in the marketplace is in originality, or perceived originality, so doing an outlaw version would not only cost more but, in the long run, generate a lesser ROI.

I've overseen a couple of these jobs (I sublet a lot of it), and the clanging of the cash register can be deafening. That sucking sound you hear is right near your open wallet ....................

The Cap'n
Mark Henry
I already have a good idea on the restoration cost, the owner is a semi-retired body guy with to many projects so he also knows the resto costs.

The tread is about what it's worth...I believe this is the wrong forum (and wrong hobby) to be involved in if your worried about ROI
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.