Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts Car Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsaum
I got the engine running in my parts car this afternoon and am trying to figure out what type of heads are on it. Each one has this vent tube, no CHT sensor on # 3 and the intakes are four stud so I'm guessing they're not 2.0 heads. The case is a EA so its a 72 or 73 1.7. Any ideas?

Jsaum
Bleyseng
1.7 heads!
SLITS
No CHT sensor boss? Could be Type 2, carburetated or someone replaced a head with non-cht head.
jsaum
I was told the engine was a 1.8 but I don't think the PO really knew much about the car. Can a 1.7 case accept the 1.8 cylinders? Also what is the best way to route hoses for the venting of the heads? Should I run them up to the carb or put some type of a filter on them? I'm concerned about moisture getting in.

Thanks,
Jsaum
HAM Inc

No CHT sensor boss? Could be Type 2, carburetated or someone replaced a head with non-cht head.

Bingo! It is more likely that you have a pair of 1,2 bank heads as the carbed heads are very rare.
jsaum
No telling what they used on this motor! They took the cooling flaps out when they built it, so before I put it in my car I'll clean it up pull the tin, fan shroud and replace the flaps and install a thermostat. It seems to run o.k. for sitting for three years. I'm getting a little blow bye but I'm hoping it just needs to run a little to free up the rings and seat the valves.

Jsaum
Jake Raby
Thats the wrong side of the engine to have a CHT sensor fellas..

The one thing that they aren't are 2.0/914 heads.
Pull the valve cover and grab the casting number to be sure.
jsaum
Passenger side has the same vent!
raw1298
Those are 1.7 heads. I have a set in my garage that have the same vents. The ones in the car are 1.7 and don't have the vents. I am not sure which are correct.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.