Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension Console Jig
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pktzygt
I will be replacing my inner suspension console and was hoping to get some tips on making a jig to get it back in the correct position. I will be installing the tangerine reinforcements so this does not happen again.

I will be tacking it in myself and plan on hiring a professional welder to come to the house and finishing it off. I'm new to welding and I don't think I should trust myself with such a critical weld.

So, does anyone know of any threads that I have missed that detail a jig. Or any tips on doing it. I have been having a hard time finding the measurements that are supposedly on Pelican.
pktzygt
Well, now I find the good threads.

Who thinks I should try to weld it myself.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Oct 28 2010, 11:33 AM) *

If you do some practice welds on similar materials you should be fine.
Use the old console that you cut off as material for practicing.
welder.gif
PeeGreen 914
beerchug.gif As I read the title I was thinking you should talk to Chris. And here he is posting already aktion035.gif
pktzygt
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 28 2010, 12:12 PM) *

QUOTE(pktzygt @ Oct 28 2010, 11:33 AM) *

If you do some practice welds on similar materials you should be fine.
Use the old console that you cut off as material for practicing.
welder.gif

Thanks Chris,
Maybe I'll practice on the old one, then install the reinforcement piece I got from you on the other side. Then I'll see how the new one goes.

And they say it's hard to beak things autocrossing!!!
At least I did well before putting a few degrees of camber on the rear wheel.
smontanaro
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Oct 28 2010, 10:33 AM) *

What good threads? Aren't they all good threads? My, that's a nice suit you have on... wink.gif
pktzygt
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Oct 28 2010, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(pktzygt @ Oct 28 2010, 10:33 AM) *

What good threads? Aren't they all good threads? My, that's a nice suit you have on... wink.gif

I found some good threads that are older. Just enough info to make me less nervous about it.

I'm finally making progress on this thing. There were a bunch of small things that needed to be done that were overwhelming me and now I'm knocking them out quickly. Feels good!
Jeff Hail
Hi
pktzygt
Wow, I hadn't found that one yet.

Thank you much.
majkos
QUOTE(pktzygt @ Oct 29 2010, 05:19 AM) *

Wow, I hadn't found that one yet.

Thank you much.

INDEED! nice bit of info for future 914 repair/restore!

Hey Sean, it should be easy for you to tack in everything,
BTDT but with a crappy 110 arc crappeir than MacGyver welder. welder.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Good move on having somebody finish the welding.
No way I can do the nice welds (still can't)
ChrisFoley
We just did a repair on a 3L track car with a replacement inner console.
The top front corner of the new console cracked because of the way it was welded in place.
The welds were all on the edge of the flanges of the new console and in one area there was no penetration.
We always punch holes in the flanges and make plug welds at 1" (or so) intervals, as the edge of the flange isn't a suitable location for the welds.
ChrisFoley
This is a pic of the crack that turned out to be the tip of an iceberg.

Click to view attachment

We cut the frame open and removed the bottom of the outer console during the repair as well.

Click to view attachment

In my experience, the replacement console fits well in only one spot on the longitudinal. With Jeff's diagram it should be easy to position correctly without needing a fixture.
McMark
In my experience, the replacement console fits well in only one spot on the longitudinal. With Jeff's diagram it should be easy to position correctly without needing a fixture.

agree.gif Same here.
pktzygt
That crack is pretty bad, mine is a bit above the hole on the ear and goes forward and turns the corner a bit.

I'm hopeful that I won't find anything ugly underneath because I have about $5000 in receipts from the previous owner in rust repair, and no mention of a inner console. It is a camp914 car and everything that I was told by Craig has been spot on. I haven't found rust no matter how hard I poke with a screwdriver or tap with a mallet. Besides, I broke it autocrossing on 7" summer tires with a big motor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.