Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust choice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
basenji7
'74 914 2.0L

I'm trying to decide between the Pacesetter Monza Dual Exhaust or the Bursch Exhaust?

Does anyone know of any performance difference?
What is the sound difference?

I currently have the Bursch exhaust.

thx.....d MDB2.gif
Rusty
Welcome, welcome, welcome! smile.gif Another Texas member - cool!

There are a very select few who love the Monza exhaust (Pam being one of them, so I need to be careful)... but it rusts as soon as it comes out of the box. barf.gif

I replaced a Monza with a Bursch, and liked it. Pam didn't.

What is your intended application? Do you have headers or HEs? Is this a street car or autocross machine? FI or carbs? smile.gif

We have lots of questions. And no thread would be complete without the following:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Trekkor
I have a '74 2.0 also with the Bursch exaust.

It is my understanding that this is one of only exausts out there that actually improves performance AND tone. mueba.gif rocking nana.gif mueba.gif

trekkor
Jake Raby
Bursch, tHose Monzas cost engines in alot of cases... Seen stockers with smoked exhaust seats from them. When they get old the baffles colapse and create huge backpressure.
MattR
I have monza's on my car (well actually sitting in my garage because my engine is in pieces). I am really thinking of getting something different. I just dont like the quad exhaust look. I outlet per cylinder seems kinda ricey for me... and they stick out too far i think. I might go with something more stock, like a single tip, just for my personal taste.
TheCabinetmaker
I've had both. Go with the Bursch
seanery
I've had both. Now, I have a Triad. I like the sounds of the triad and the looks. Do a search here for Triad and you'll find quite a few thumbs up and some audio files of my car.
Mark Henry
I have an Ansa, on my JYD (junk yard dog) engine right now, it looks like a Monza.
it's way heavier than a Monza and it was free. I will get a header when I do my big T4,

Any opinion on these?
JWest
Where in Dallas are you? Our cars are twins ('74 2.0).

If you currently have the Bursch stick with it.

Don't use the Monza. Besides the performance and quality issues, it really hurts when you walk in back of the car and hit you shin on those pipes sticking out! ohmy.gif
Gint
agree.gif with everyone. Get the Bursch. Unless you have more bucks, then the Triad would be a nice choice.

Welcome to the club!
smg914
Not only does the Bursch look better and sound better, it also improves engine performance (torque and horspower) over the ansa, monza and stock systems.
Joe Bob
Rusty is wrong....they start rusting IN the box.....
lol2.gif

Raby is correct, my first project car had a Monza and it was so backed up that the engine would not push past 3500 rpms....
Bleyseng
By Grassroots exhaust tests the Bursch was the best of the non oem units producing a whopping 1-2 hp boost at 3000 rpms. The stock OEM banana produced the most hp over the entire rpm range.
Lots of Triad units up here in the NW but no hard numbers on a 4 cylinder 914 that I know of.

Get a bursch as for the money its pretty good.

Geoff aktion035.gif
The PO put a monza on my car, I haven't had any problems with it, and it doesn't stick out much at all. I'd say that the exhaust tips are maybe 1/2 an inch out from the rear bumper, if that and maybe are actually flush. I will say though, that it is a bit loud, but the sound is great, not cheap sounding, but just good sweet engine humming at speed and when on the gas hard.

I'd be interested in hearing what people think about sound level between these two? one louder than the other?

Mine has maybe 15k miles on it, and isn't rusting, i'd bet I'll get at least another 20k or so.
basenji7
Sounds like I will be sticking with my Bursch for a while but I will look in to the Triad.

Daily Driver
Momo wheel, Momo shift knob, Bursh exhaust, euro pistons, FI, no header and all of the '74 options.

Many more AX's and TT's ahead of me.

Sad but no pictures... I'll be sure to have some soon...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.