Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ThumpThump-ThumpThump........!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
rocking nana.gif Yuppers... the 2.0 runs! after sittin for 7+ years it woke up. boldblue.gif I was tentative about turning the key. Got up my nerve and....
nothing sad.gif It turned & turned but not even a cough.
Hmmmmm...
Looked everything over, yup, it's all connected right. Do I have spark? NOPE! Had plenty of gas but no spark. Checked the 2 wires on the coil & sure enough, they were switched. Took the key in hand again ph34r.gif It coughed! woo-Hoo! Turned it again & got a sputter EEeee ha. Kept up turning it over & each time it sputtered a little longer. After about 3 to 4 minutes of this it actually began running... rough but it was running. Just like waking up from a deep sleep, it was groggy. Black smoke was coming out, not heavy but deffinetly had color cool.gif Once it began running I held it at 2K for 2 to 3 minutes and it kept getting smoother & smoother until I could take my foot off the gas & it idled at 1200 WOO HOO again. This engine really feels like it's got some power to it. Maybe not having the muffler on gave it that feeling biggrin.gif muffler goes on tomorrow alon with adjusting the clutch peddal and checking the timing. I just might make it to this Sundays AX after all clap56.gif
A really big THANKYOU to Craig for this engine. I might be talking too soon but WTF, I'm elated that I took the old broken one out & put this 7 year sleeper in and it RUNS mueba.gif
Let me hear a HALLELUJAH

........b slap.gif
Howard
That's got to feel great! Way to go smilie_pokal.gif
ChrisReale
Cool Bwooth biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Cool.
I would:
Run some Techron thru it.....by driving for 20-30 miles.
Check the vlabes.
Change the oil.
Drive it some more.....get on it a few times.
Go AXing biggrin.gif
DNHunt
Bruce

That's great news. Add another notch to your belt. You're gonna have to learn to roll the throttle now instead of mash it. Nothin like JP but Punkin's gonna have some spunk. boldblue.gif

Dave
rhodyguy
there you go bruce!!! motorvating.

kevin
TheCabinetmaker
Yea Bruce smilie_pokal.gif great job. Don't it feel good? Hope ya had a fat tire and a fat hand roll (your choice of filling).

Curt
Bruce Allert
Here it is 6:15 AM and I'm still on "Cloud 9". Punkin was the last thing I thought about after going to bed & the first thing when I woke up smile.gif A great feeling I just can't describe but those of you that have done this for the first time know what I'm talking about. mueba.gif
Me thinks I'm gonna be taking the day off to finish up & go fer a drive driving.gif driving-girl.gif MDB2.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif MDB2.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif MDB2.gif

..........b rocking nana.gif
Bleyseng
agree.gif beerchug.gif

Run some Fuel injector cleaner thru it to clean out the lines and injectors.
Watch out for oil leaks.

Way to go Bruce! You are using the correct MPS with that 2.0L? Right?

Geoff
Bruce Allert
Geoff, I'm using the one I had with the 1.7. Didn't have one with this engine. Hope it works that way!

........b
Rusty
Before you add Techron or anything else... change out your fuel filters, and consider adding a second cheap one from your FLAPs before the fuel rail.

-Rusty smoke.gif
Bleyseng
Thats what I thought.....you need to get the proper one for that year of 2.0l Djet or you will be in Dave Darlings shoes, losing intake seats.
The 1.7 MPS is set too lean mostly at WOT thought unless you are running a 73 2.0l set up then its waay to lean. Lean = hotter = not good

Geoff mueba.gif rocking nana.gif slap.gif
Bruce Allert
Well....... Bummer! I'll see if Craig has the mps that was with this engine. I'm using the ECU that was with the car. I think I remember reading that the 1.7 & the 2.0 ECU's are one in the same. Correct me if I'm wrong... please. If Craig doesn't have the original would you wanna trade my 1.7 for a 2.0 if'n ya got it?

........b
Gint
Right on Bruce! smilie_pokal.gif beer.gif
onrails
way to go!! smilie_pokal.gif
what a feeling a?
boxstr
Just got off the phone with Bruce, man he is on top of the world, he is sdo happy that the 2.0 is running and I hope that he can sppend more time behind the wheel this weekend than behind the camera at the autocross on SUnday.

Geoff do you have numbers for the 2.0 MPS, I am not sure which one it might be?? I have a box I can look through that is full of the little suckers.
CCCLINHAPPYFORBA
scotty
Cool! Did any Hazelnuts come out the exhaust? Squirrel parts? biggrin.gif
Bruce Allert
Geoff,

The #'s of the MPS I'm running now are:

028 010 004 9 and under those is 022906051E

The ECU is 0 280 000 037 - 022 906 021 E

The engine # is GA 013 593

Can you shed some light on which MPS I need?
thanks.........b
DNHunt
Bruce

I just looked up the info on parts off of Bradholio Anders' Site The engine is a 74 2.0l The MPS you need is Porsche part # 039 906 051 Bosch #0 280 100 043, ECU Porsche part # 039 906 021 Bosch # 0 280 000 043 or 044 CU14X.

I have the ECU MPS and Harness out of my car which I removed when I converted to Megasquirt. I'm not going back so if you want them they're yours. For your info the MPS has had the resin plug removed so it's been messed with. THere is some confusion about the displacement of my engine and finding the plug removed seems to indicate it may be a 2056, anyway it ran fine before it was removed. I would suggest you have Geoff check it. (Actually I would get any MPS checked) PM me

Dave
Bruce Allert
Hey thanks Dave. I have the original 2.0 ECU & am using the original wire harness. I didn't use the ECU due to a mounting screw decided to break off. I got lazy & used my old one that I knew worked. Guess I'll have to drill out the hole & use it along with the proper MPS.

...b
Bleyseng
If you are using the ECU is 0 280 000 037 which is for a 73 1.7 or 2.0l you must use the 037 MPS and the 017 CHT with ballast.
If you use the CU14X ECU you use a 043 MPS and the 012 CHT
Don't mix them all up!!!!!

Geoff
Bruce Allert
Thanks Geoff, I will switch ECU's (put the original one with this engine) and find the right MPS & all should be fine!

.....b
Bruce Allert
Got the last of the "stuff" connected last night fully expecting to go for a drive.... driving.gif

I found the clutch wouldn't release. Checked the adjustment several times but still couldn't get it to go into gear (grind - grind) unsure.gif

Called Craig & yelled HELP!!! did I fergit sumpin?? After he explained how to try to get it to release it worked. Thanks Craig smilie_pokal.gif
I guess I'd be stuck to whatever I was pinned against if'n I hadn't moved for 6 - 7 years wink.gif

THEN I went for a drive boldblue.gif I am amazed at how just a few extra horses made Punkin feel like a hot rod. Now I just need the right MPS & I'll be in FAT City wit mah FAT TIRE laugh.gif

Thanks again to all that contributed to this learnig experience...... pray.gif I owe ya's BIG TIME wavey.gif

............b smilie_flagge24.gif
Bleyseng
Yeah, take it easy on her till you get the right parts, Bruce. That 15 extra hp makes alot of difference, eh?

Way to go getting her all back together! smilie_pokal.gif

Where's all the pics? I thought you are a photographer?

Geoff <_<
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.