Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show off your hood vents
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Corkus
If you have a 914 hood vent photo, please show it off.

I took this photo off of a YouTube video for a Rotary powered 914. So far I like this vent best and my Subaru conversion is getting a hood vent soon.

Is this a 911 vent?

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
IPB Image
IPB Image

Old pic.
From experience I dont think that little vent is going to be enough. You need 2x your inlet size on your outlet.
Andyrew
FYI, Im changing my hood to stock and cutting the wheel wells. Its just not smart for a DD to have an exposed radiator/ exposed trunk.
shoguneagle
I have not completed my air/oil cooler inlet/outlet yet but I am going to use a 996 air diffuser inlet to the cooler. Currently building outlet box twice the size of the inlet which I will either duct up through the hood, or out the wheel area. Although it is not a radiator coolant type, the principles are still the same. Roughly 1:2 (inlet to outlet)

Sorry I do not have any pictures yet but what I hope to see on this thread are different types of hood outlets available.

Andyrew, I am surprised to see you still using the old hood outlet. Great to see that you are still involved and hopefully going to school.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Steve Hurt
jmmotorsports
I built these for my V8 this summer.

JerryClick to view attachment
ripper911
Radiator on a 914? WTF.gif stirthepot.gif
d914
still in process

Click to view attachment
JRust
QUOTE(jmmotorsports @ Oct 29 2010, 06:16 AM) *

I built these for my V8 this summer.

JerryClick to view attachment

That is nicely done Jerry! Are you goung to have a shroud forcing the air up through the opening? I like it drooley.gif
pcar916
Click to view attachment

Under construction
Click to view attachment
pcar916
A couple more

Click to view attachment

The cooler / cell package. I can get the cooler and fuel cell out in less than 15 minutes without draining the oil system.
Click to view attachment
andys
I don't have any recent photos. Radiator is ducted to this vent, and there's a foam gasket that seals the duct to the underside of the hood.

Andys
Rleog
Beautifully done, Pcar916!
pcar916
QUOTE(Rleog @ Oct 29 2010, 02:03 PM) *

Beautifully done, Pcar916!

Thanks! It was an adventure since I'm not a sheet metal guy. But my first attempt with the same cooler vented under the car and weakly-ventilated (even with two big fans) was not enough. The 993 motor doesn't have an on-board cooler behind cylinder number 6, so external is all there is unless you dump the second filter console and put back a cooler in that location.

There are more elegant sheet-metal craftsmen out there but this has worked for 10 years (with a small additional cooler in the high pressure circuit during the summer months) so I'm happy with it... zero-maintenance.

There are great examples in this thread. Hopefully they'll give enough ideas to build something functional.

Hood exit rules: Functional 1st
- The closer to the front of the car the better. It's a low pressure zone. Pressure gets higher farther back on the hood peaking at the bottom of the windshield, which is why cars have a vent there that forces air into the interior.

- The cooler intake must be sealed. Intake air WILL escape if not forced to go through the cooler fins.

- Don't make you exit the same shape as mine. I included those little tabs because of the 917 cooler-exit I modeled it after (my all-time favorite Porsche race car). But they're always in the way when I have to use a gas jug and are all bent up because of it. Simple is gooder.

- I should've used -16AN rather than -12AN. The cooler IS -16. I suspect with -16 I wouldn't have had to add another auxilliary cooler.

Class rules: Check 'em. The SCCA regards hood exits as an aero-improvement. If the car didn't come with one it's usually illegal in road racing. I don't think it matters in AX.

It's fun to build stuff. welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.