Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: accusump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
know the concept, but how does it work exactldy? does it get pressure from oil system or do you have to charge it?

also, they come with different pressure settings, like 35, 55, 100 i think, what is good for TIV?

and manual or electric?

also, should it go between the motor and cooler, after the cooler, does it matter?

thanks,
dr
seanery
i believe we discussed this a bit a loooooong time ago. Do a search for accusump and see what results you get. They are probably not all encumpassing, but may be a start.
Brett W
Inside there is a piston when it isempty there is a certain amount of air trapped between the piston and the back of the container. as you put oil in the other end it compresses the air on the backside of the piston. Once the oil side is full it relies on oil pressure to regulate it. When pressure in the engine drops below the pressure in the tank oil flow into the engine when the engine comes back up above what is in the tank oil flows back into the tank thus equalizing the pressure.
Joe Bob
It also acts as a "pre oiler" on start up. Remember the commercials about oil that "helps" on start up....well that's all crap. You have no oil pressure on startup and after an oil change....that is where most engine wear occurs.

The accusump gives you oild pressure at start up and maintains it during heavy G turns and such when the normal oil pump mabe starved of overburdened....
Jake Raby
only downside is that it also has to recharge. If the accusump has too much volume it takes too long to recharge and you can still go dry in extreme conditions....
machina
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 21 2004, 11:59 AM)
only downside is that it also has to recharge. If the accusump has too much volume it takes too long to recharge and you can still go dry in extreme conditions....

now I read up on their website, but doesn't a large tank give a longer supply on pressurized oil so it won't run out in the first place?

dr
banderson
I have the smallest one, I think it was 1 quart. I also have a sandwich adapter for the oil cooler. I have a T off of the outlet to the oil cooler running to the accusump. The oil filter comes next. There has been some concern that the accusump could backflush the oil filter, so I put it before the filter.

I mounted it to the lower fire wall, and ran a hose to a bracket at the original MAP location. On this bracket, I mounted a 60 psi gauge, and a Schrader valve. I start with about 5 psi in the accusump.

I also have the solenoid valve, but I don’t think it’s worth it. I think it slows the refill, but it does work to pre-lube for startup.
Jake Raby
I said "IF" and I have had it happen.... very rare though.
KenH
I pre-charge mine at 35 pounds. This means the engine oil pressure has to be 35 pounds before it starts to fill the Accusump, thus providing oil to the engine first. At idle, yes the Accusump can empty but thats not when you need it. At high RPM in the Accusump is filled and ready to supply oil as reqired.

Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.