Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to have mor hp ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sc42766
Hi , i have a 1.7 l that is going to need some work , so i would like to know what is the best way to have more hp on my 914 with a budget of 1000 to 3500$ + or - .

i looked at the possibility of putting a 2.0 l but i think it is only 20 hp more from my 1.7 , would it be worth it ? or is there other solutions .

tanks for the suggestions

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

gothspeed
Bigger pistons and cylinders (96mm) would make it a 1911cc and you may be able to keep the injection idea.gif ? It should be less than $500 for parts and you would still have a fairly reliable/driveable motor smile.gif.
Bleyseng
going from a 80hp 1.7 to a 2.0l is 15 hp. Now building a 2056 w/Raby cam is 115hp is a 35hp jump and really makes a 914 fun to drive. Find a complete 2.0L engine with everything intact as they are around and rebuild it.
Drums66
Mor hp.....Morph into something bigger poke.gif thumb3d.gif
bye1.gif yellowsleep[1].gif yellowsleep[1].gif
windforfun
http://www.motormeister.com/suz/index.html
biosurfer1
Yikes...hope that last post was a joke!
windforfun
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Oct 29 2010, 02:42 PM) *

Yikes...hope that last post was a joke!

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 29 2010, 02:01 PM) *
Now building a 2056 w/Raby cam is 115hp is a 35hp jump and really makes a 914 fun to drive. Find a complete 2.0L engine with everything intact as they are around and rebuild it.

agree.gif

Your budget should get you there, provided you do the grunt work yourself.

A 2056 with a good cam and carbs will really wake up that little car. driving.gif
RFoulds
I know its been said a million times before but...

The 914, and really ANY Porsche, is not about HP. If you must go for HP, then realize a 15-20Hp increase in this car is significant. but with that said,
I am much more likely to put the money into suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, etc. The already superior handling and light weight of the 914 can be improved dramatically using relatively cheap upgrades, and to me, these improve the fun factor of the car far more than an HP increase.

But, if I were to assume you were already doing all the suspension, brake and wheel/tire upgrades and want more HP to go along with it, then my choice would be:
larger P&C package, cam and twin carbs.

But say goodbye to reliability.
KELTY360
You realize that +/- really means "+" don't you. shades.gif

You'd be amazed at what a difference 20 hp makes when you're starting out with 70-80. That's a 25-30% increase. Where you'll really feel it is torque. You'll actually be able to accelerate coming out of a turn, rather than waiting for rpms to build again.

It all depends on your own perception of power and whether there is ever enough. Lots of guys have spent the time and $$ to boost power only to find a few months later they want more. If you fall in the 'never enough' category then you better do a flat -6 conversion or a subie or a V-8. Of course all of those fall under the heading of "+".

ME733
..YOU have got to get a better set of cylinder heads, than the 1.7 heads you have., look for some ...914 2.0 heads,1.8 heads or even 2.0 BUS heads. any of these have bigger Valve sizes and ports...With out the air flow capability of better head flow(induction) a performance cam will not give you much of anything in the way of HP gains., and the idle and bottom end will be a mess.
pcar916
Use the money to go to a track driving school... not kidding. Then improve your car a little at a time (as RFoulds said above) by starting to shed weight and improving the suspension one thing at a time. Heck, you can get rid of about 50 lbs just by removing the sound deadening material under your carpets and the rear bulkhead padding.

Forget the engine except to make it reliable. As long as it and the transaxle are healthy your fun will increase exponentially as you learn to drive the car!!!!!
sc42766
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Oct 29 2010, 06:46 PM) *

Use the money to go to a track driving school... not kidding. Then improve your car a little at a time (as RFoulds said above) by starting to shed weight and improving the suspension one thing at a time. Heck, you can get rid of about 50 lbs just by removing the sound deadening material under your carpets and the rear bulkhead padding.

Forget the engine except to make it reliable. As long as it and the transaxle are healthy your fun will increase exponentially as you learn to drive the car!!!!!

i understand what you mean , but my 1.7 is making a knocking sound , so i need to put money on the engine anyway so i was thinking that since i was there , might as well do it .

tank's every body for your comments .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.