Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Front Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
I was at the Mid America/Tweaks swapmeet probably 10 years ago, and I bought a set of struts and brakes that were supposed to have come off a '71 911. It was late in the day, and I didn't look too closely - only insured that all the important stuff was there. The box has been shelved for all these years, only moving when I moved to a new residence (twice). Well, I pulled it out today to see what small parts I will need for my pending 5 bolt conversion, and I discover... non-vented rotors and corresponding calipers. I am kinda pissed at me from 10 years ago, as I now have to buy not only new rotors, but calipers as well.

Did they use solid rotors on ANY 911 in 71, or are these most likely off a 912? They are also supposed to have Koni inserts. Can't wait to find out what is inside...
914Sixer
The 69 911T and the 69 912 were the last year that the solid rotors were used. Do the strut ball joint ends use a bolt or a wedge pin? The exception to this is the 76 912E also used the solid rotor and caliper but used the later wedge pin ball joint. Put some pictures on and we can help some more.
bigkensteele
The ball joints are the bolt type and appear to be in good shape.
Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Go ahead and run them. They will be lighter than the vented rotors and very close to the weight of the stock 914. They will be a good match UNLESS you are running extra horsepower.
Eric_Shea
Buy some vented rotors and... some Brembos! End of story. It's not like you were going to use those old rotors anyway. biggrin.gif

10.42 lbs. for Solid
11.42 lbs. for Vented

Early M-Caliper 7 lbs. 4 oz.
Brembo 4 lbs. 6 oz.

Sooooo... As you are with solid rotors = 17lbs 8oz per side vs. Vented and Brembos = 15lbs 12 oz per side.

Save yourself 4lbs. of unsprung weight and have better brakes with better cooling. wink.gif
1968Cayman
Bah! Who cares what to do about the brakes!? Spend the rest of your days tracking down the scoundrel that ripped you off, beat him down with the very hardware he sold you under false pretenses, and die a happy man- even if it ultimately costs you your freedom.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(1968Cayman @ Oct 29 2010, 07:42 PM) *

Bah! Who cares what to do about the brakes!? Spend the rest of your days tracking down the scoundrel that ripped you off, beat him down with the very hardware he sold you under false pretenses, and die a happy man- even if it ultimately costs you your freedom.

Oh, how tempting that sounds. However, all that I can remember is that he was some old fart (wearing suspenders if I recall correctly) who said that he was selling them for a friend. Had quite a bit of attitude as well.

Way back then, I was single, working a lot, and making some jack. I went to that meet on a mission to get as many parts that I might need and could fit into my car on the way back (read younger and stupid). I did, however, score a beautiful set of 2.0 SSIs, a very nice center console, and a set of 19mm torsion bars from Brad M. - all for about $400, so the day was not a complete loss.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 29 2010, 07:30 PM) *

Buy some vented rotors and... some Brembos! End of story. It's not like you were going to use those old rotors anyway. biggrin.gif

10.42 lbs. for Solid
11.42 lbs. for Vented

Early M-Caliper 7 lbs. 4 oz.
Brembo 4 lbs. 6 oz.

Sooooo... As you are with solid rotors = 17lbs 8oz per side vs. Vented and Brembos = 15lbs 12 oz per side.

Save yourself 4lbs. of unsprung weight and have better brakes with better cooling. wink.gif

"Shea" must mean "evil" in another language. I do covet the Brembos that you are selling, and I have been trying to find some used on the alpha boards. Do you have a set ready to go?

Hell, you have my hubs right now - why not tack on a set of yellow composites, since you are in up-sell mode? slap.gif
charliew
Alfa Romeo Milano 83-on if the stock black coating is still on them even better, get the new ss pucks and seals at zimms. I got mine from a alfa yard in MA, he had more when I got mine. He sent thebolts spacers and all. The pads keepers were a little grungy on one set though. giovanni@difatta.com

Course Sheas are REALLY nice if you can afford them, the new coating makes them look great and of course all new insides.
Drums66
QUOTE(1968Cayman @ Oct 29 2010, 08:42 PM) *

laugh.gif .....Justice poke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.