Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914itis
Now that I feel more confortable with my engine. I started to gut if off for restoration yesterday.. I found rust on the floor pan, around both edges. will be doing some welding. I have some buble rust in a few spots. firewall, trunk and hood is intact. I will be posting some pictures soon...
silver74insocal
beerchug.gif good luck and take your time
914itis
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Oct 29 2010, 06:16 PM) *

Thank you,

I would like to have it ready for my b'day by the end of december. It will be my B'day present..
914itis
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Oct 29 2010, 06:16 PM) *

Pics of the day, Winshield and back glass is safely removed..
silver74insocal
yikes.gif that back fender looks pretty bad...how are the hell hole and longs? you may just be touching the surface of the problems. Good Luck
Lennies914
Are you talking this December? poke.gif
Very cool. Keep the pics coming.
cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
914itis
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Oct 29 2010, 06:55 PM) *

yikes.gif that back fender looks pretty bad...how are the hell hole and longs? you may just be touching the surface of the problems. Good Luck

fortunately, the previous owner fixed the hell hole. sawzall-smiley.gif

What do you call the longs?
914itis
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Oct 29 2010, 07:05 PM) *

hmm!!! yeah, I hope beer.gif
silver74insocal
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Oct 29 2010, 04:05 PM) *

laugh.gif dont spook him Lennie
the longs are the parts of the body that run underneath each door, and under the hell hole. a good place to look is at the jackhole of the passenger side..i will try and find you some pics...
jsayre914
What color is that car ? looks like you got your work (cut out) laugh.gif

could you snap a few more wide shots. We need the BIG picture
914itis
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Oct 29 2010, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Oct 29 2010, 04:05 PM) *

laugh.gif dont spook him Lennie
the longs are the parts of the body that run underneath each door, and under the hell hole. a good place to look is at the jackhole of the passenger side..i will try and find you some pics...

oh yeah, that part is pretty bad, I have to get that welded.. I have two good body guys helping.
silver74insocal
you may want to post some pics of that asap. rust compromises those longs and that car will start folding in half. welding there is tricky and if not done right the car will never be the same..it might be easier (and cheaper) to get another body and take all your parts off this one. but its your call
beer.gif good luck and keep the pics coming
914itis
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Oct 29 2010, 07:21 PM) *

you may want to post some pics of that asap. rust compromises those longs and that car will start folding in half. welding there is tricky and if not done right the car will never be the same..it might be easier (and cheaper) to get another body and take all your parts off this one. but its your call
beer.gif good luck and keep the pics coming

will send some pics of that in the mormning
914itis
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 29 2010, 07:13 PM) *

Dont know what they call it, but its a teal.
914itis
QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 29 2010, 10:45 PM) *

After removing the sail panel's vinyl I noticed that the color was different. thats the only part of the car that the color is different. it is a dark green compared to the teal in the whole car..

Does that mean the teal is not the original color?
AndyB
QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 30 2010, 04:59 AM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 29 2010, 10:45 PM) *

After removing the sail panel's vinyl I noticed that the color was different. thats the only part of the car that the color is different. it is a dark green compared to the teal in the whole car..

Does that mean the teal is not the original color?

Odds are no
Look at the Karrman Plate located on the drivers door jamb. It should have a letter and number combo post that and refer to the 914 facts and you will see the real color of your teener biggrin.gif
914itis
You are right, as I take things apart I find that green on more spots , like under the bumper. Does changing the original color decreases the value of the teener?
benalishhero
Yes it does decrease the value.
AndyB
Did you find the Karmann Plate on the driers side door jamb?
914itis
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 30 2010, 05:53 PM) *

I did not go back and look yet. What else would decrease the value on a restoration? If I choose to paint it one of the original 914 colors does that co
Promise or does it have to be the exact same color. I don't like that original green.
AndyB
QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 30 2010, 02:11 PM) *

I did not go back and look yet. What else would decrease the value on a restoration? If I choose to paint it one of the original 914 colors does that co
Promise or does it have to be the exact same color. I don't like that original green.

If your looking for a quick turn and burn then paint it its origional color. If you are keeping it for yourself then paint it whatever color you want. Everyone is a critic but I say its your car beerchug.gif
914itis
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 30 2010, 06:15 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 30 2010, 02:11 PM) *

If your looking for a quick turn and burn then paint it its origional color. If you are keeping it for yourself then paint it whatever color you want. Everyone is a critic but I say its your car beerchug.gif

I am planning on keeping it. I have no intention of selling for now, but I want it to keep its value as much as possible.

I am gonna keep the same color, that other green,....I dont know. Just not cuting it for me.

I would like to paint the engine covers, the rims, and the fog light grills
I am opemn for sugession as to what color I should go with...

tod914
Look at some restored cars in Irish green. I bet with a fresh coat of silver paint on those Mahle rims along with a new paint job, you'll be pleasantly surprized how nice it is in that color.
Mikey914
Take a look and let us know the color if will be something like L96B, or another 4 digit code. I'm sure there are a few guys here with the same paint that would be happy to post thier cars. Who knows maybe you have a Palma green. There are a few colors that are more collectable.

914itis
QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 30 2010, 09:41 PM) *

Look at some restored cars in Irish green. I bet with a fresh coat of silver paint on those Mahle rims along with a new paint job, you'll be pleasantly surprized how nice it is in that color.

I looked at the Irish green, it is not the same as my color.
Whats the best spray (type) paint to use on these rims?
914itis
This is the latest pictures of the rusty spots.
THe last ones shows the repaired floors. I am done with the interior of the floor.
914itis
more bad pics
914itis
floor progress

THe interior of the floor restoration is complete.
silver74insocal
hmm that long looks pretty bad..does the drivers door close properly?
914itis
yeah, they both close properly
silver74insocal
well its your car but if i were you i would search some threads on long repair or replacement and see what your getting into.

that for me would be a show stopper
here's mine
drivers
Click to view attachment
pass
Click to view attachment
914itis
Is that consider the inner long?

looking under the car, it looks like there is another cover at the bottom of the floor pan, its not a hard metal, itf kind of soft. I have not seen any replacement parts for theese. how inportant are they?
jonferns
QUOTE(ppetion @ Nov 1 2010, 10:06 PM) *

looking under the car, it looks like there is another cover at the bottom of the floor pan, its not a hard metal, itf kind of soft.

If it's soft it doesn't belong there. Poke at it and see if a hole opens up.
914itis
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Nov 1 2010, 11:13 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Nov 1 2010, 10:06 PM) *

looking under the car, it looks like there is another cover at the bottom of the floor pan, its not a hard metal, itf kind of soft.

If it's soft it doesn't belong there. Poke at it and see if a hole opens up.

I did and it came off in pieces like rusted hard tar, By soft I mean its not metal if it is its very thin. part of it in under the middle console. the accelerator cable hole runs inside of it. I peel/ crak a rusted piece and its not showing a hole on the actual floor pan. I cant take pics now since i dont have a lift.
silver74insocal
im trippin out on the rear of the long near the wheel...its got fingers?! confused24.gif
914itis
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Nov 1 2010, 11:44 PM) *

im trippin out on the rear of the long near the wheel...its got fingers?! confused24.gif

I hope its not giving me the middle finger headbang.gif headbang.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.