Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help me help my friends make a deal on a 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Chris Hamilton
One of my friends is selling a 914-6 to another friend, and I'm caught in the middle! They're both asking me what a fair price on the car is, and I can't find many comparable cars sold. Help me put a price on this thing.

The car:

1971 914-6 ( originally a 4 )

Body:
Straight
Clean title
Steel flares
Oil cooler in front bumper
rear frame has had 914 stiffening kit welded in
no rust!
Paint looks OK, but will need to be painted at some point

Engine:
1995 3.6L motor from 993 with ~20k miles
Stock porsche injection
ECU mods by patrick motorsports so everything works properly

Exhaust:
B&B Headers with magnaflow mufflers

Transmission:
Fresh complete rebuild 915 gearbox from guard with clutch-type LSD from guard ( less than 250 miles )
Patrick motorsports cable shifter ( adjusted properly, works well )
915 axles
hi-torque starter from pelican parts

Suspension:
New Bilstein RSR shocks
Tarrett front swaybar
911 torsion bars
Aluminum front axle beam from SC
re-inforced rear trailing arms with real 5-lug flanges
front a-arms and rear trailing arms have polybronze bearings from elephant racing
koni externally adjustable rear shocks with bicknell coilovers and eibach springs
front weather sealed monoballs
stock rear swaybar with new bushings

Brakes:
930 big black front calipers
bigger master cylinder
914-6 rear calipers with dual plane rotors and working e-brake cables

Wheels:
Polished and painted REAL 16x7 and 16x9 fuchs

Interior:
New leather door panels, recovered leather dash, recovered leather 914 seats.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
jsayre914
drooley.gif

I just googled it for ya

an original 1971 6 in perfect condition is selling for 36,500

found a bunch of conversions well sorted with racing history for 30k

does that help???

bueatifullll car
PeeGreen 914
Right now the seller would be doing well to get about 25k for it. Looks very sharp but if I were your friends that's what I would offer if I had the money.
Chris Hamilton
Thanks for the input. I'll refer them both to this thread in case there are any further comments.
EdwardBlume
I would say $20K-25K as well.. although the devil is in the details.
Krieger
Very nice car! If you parted this car out it would be worth near 25K. I am aloting (on the low side) 5k for a very nice, rust free, painted and flared car with a 1.7l in my estimate of parts. Of course the value of labor doesn't seem to count for anything these days. In my opinion this is better than an original with history because its a converted 1.7 car that you can enjoy the heck out of. Does the buyer want a custom built car with these particular features to drive a lot or a piece that he will drive sometimes?
Chris Pincetich
I have seen this 914 at Alameda several times. It is indeed the real deal. Professional upgrades throughout, and a very well done interior with the leather. I think the seats were recovered too. I was always bummed they didn't race the autocross with us! But, it shows that they take really nice care of the car. In the past, 914s like this get listed for $25k easy, but what is the final selling price? I don't know. If it was a real 6 tub, I would say start at $30k. If this goes for under $20k, that is a motivated seller and a very happy buyer.
Good luck beerchug.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 30 2010, 10:22 AM) *

I have seen this 914 at Alameda several times. It is indeed the real deal. Professional upgrades throughout, and a very well done interior with the leather. I think the seats were recovered too. I was always bummed they didn't race the autocross with us! But, it shows that they take really nice care of the car. In the past, 914s like this get listed for $25k easy, but what is the final selling price? I don't know. If it was a real 6 tub, I would say start at $30k. If this goes for under $20k, that is a motivated seller and a very happy buyer.
Good luck beerchug.gif

I would agree with this IF the market were back to normal. There is a good number of VERY cool 914s that can be had around the 30k mark. I'm not saying this is not comparable but those 914s have been on he market for a while and have yet to sell. $25k sounds like a very fair price for both parties involved. I would be sure this 914 could be parted out for more than the selling price but that's not abnormal for 914s like this. My Phoenix had over $20k in parts after I purchased the cars already a 914-6 and it sold for less. I think the engine and transmission alone make this car more valuable than what my car was.
Randal
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 30 2010, 06:24 AM) *

I would say $20K-25K as well.. although the devil is in the details.

Unfortunately this is the case today.

Selling expensive cars or race cars is tough as money just seems to be non-existent.

Used to be that $.50 on the dollar was the rule, but today that has dropped to $.25 on the dollar, which is unbelievable.

But money is tight and supply and demand rules apply.

Sure looks like a beautiful car.
grantsfo
Market for vintage cars and race cars sucks right now. If you can find somone with money and you can stomach price they are willing to pay thats what market is bearing. Like Randal indicates .25 to .50 on the dollar.

I pulled my Boxster race car off the market temporarily as I wasnt willing to take .30 cents on the dollar invested in the car. If I could get .45 cents I'd sell it yesterday. Know anyone who wants a fun Boxster race car for under $15K?

I'd say that 914-6 is probably in the $18K range. But finding somone to pay that is nearly impossible.

I dont know if the used Porsche market is ever going to recover? Perhaps in a decade? But I dont see any near term economic prospertiy coming back to US. As long as housing values stay down to stagnant the use of the home equity lines of credit have dried up. I'm a firm believer that many race cars and Porsche projects were funded either directly or indirectly from wealth generated in ever appreciating housing market. When that bubble burst so did budgets for play things.

Your freind might want to test the market in Europe. The Euro has smashed the dollar again recently. Might find a European who would like that car at a currency discount.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 1 2010, 11:03 AM) *

Market for vintage cars and race cars sucks right now. If you can find somone with money and you can stomach price they are willing to pay thats what market is bearing. Like Randal indicates .25 to .50 on the dollar.

I pulled my Boxster race car off the market temporarily as I wasnt willing to take .30 cents on the dollar invested in the car. If I could get .45 cents I'd sell it yesterday. Know anyone who wants a fun Boxster race car for under $15K?

I'd say that 914-6 is probably in the $18K range. But finding somone to pay that is nearly impossible.

I dont know if the used Porsche market is ever going to recover? Perhaps in a decade? But I dont see any near term economic prospertiy coming back to US. As long as housing values stay down to stagnant the use of the home equity lines of credit have dried up. I'm a firm believer that many race cars and Porsche projects were funded either directly or indirectly from wealth generated in ever appreciating housing market. When that bubble burst so did budgets for play things.

Your freind might want to test the market in Europe. The Euro has smashed the dollar again recently. Might find a European who would like that car at a currency discount.

I would have to completely disagree with some of your points. You're trying to compare a specialty car with a collector car. This 914 is a mixture of both more on the side of collector car. Your car is going down in value every day where this car is holding or going up. Under $20k you cannot find anything close to this car.
brilliantrot
I don't know, I kinda have to side with Grant. I just sold my 993 race car that was based upon a 993 C2S which is fairly well regarded as collectible for $0.20 on its duplication cost (~$120k). While not being street legal at the time of sale hurt it (it could have been made street legal without a ton of effort), it had pretty much the dream list of mods done to it if you are a fan of performance modified 993s.

Everything in the car market is way down on price from where it was 2-3 years ago. I suspect that at some point there will be a backlash on the newer is better philosophy but right now the only cars that aren't selling for bargain basement prices are real vintage modified cars with history being bought by people for whom money is no object and have large collections. For these buyers a real 914-6GT or similar is something that would catch their interest but not simply a very very clean 914-6 conversion.

$25k today buys you all manners of very nice interesting cars which intern hurts the value of everything else.

I second the comment of mid $20ks is where the car is in todays market if there is an interested buyer. Trying to find and interested buyer well then it would probably have to be listed under $20k to be sold in a timely fashion.
carr914
I certainly hope we are at the bottom of this pricing mess. The other day, a friend of mine beat me to a 1975 911 Carrera ( only 395 built), Black on Black, non sunroof, Sport Seats, new tires, ran great......$6k

This -6 conversion looks very nice.

and Brilliantrot, your qoute is not Steve McQueen. That should be attributed to Michael Delaney, the Driver McQueen played in the movie.
GeorgeRud
It is a sad fact of life these days that beautiful cars like this are not selling for anywhere near what it would cost to build them now. If you look at the parts costs alone, parting it out would probably bring the owner much more than selling the whole!
brilliantrot
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 1 2010, 06:28 PM) *

Brilliantrot, your qoute is not Steve McQueen. That should be attributed to Michael Delaney, the Driver McQueen played in the movie.

True as that may be, Michael Delaney is a fictional character and the quote is rather emblematic of McQueen in real life. I guess if we were going to be truly accurate about attributing that quote, it should be attributed to Harry Kleiner.

A running '75 Carrera for $6k is amassing. I paid a little more than that recently for a rough around the edges but mechanically excellent and updated to 3.0L '75 911S.
sixaddict
No disrespect ....but what a depressing thread !

I have a really nice street 914-6 nconversion that has practically perfect paint new new new and can't get a bite around 16 which would be way off what it cost to build..Went as high as 14500 on evil bay but everyone (we) is a bottom feeder right now......Did you hear TC? Problem is like housing prices we may not be at the bottom. Your bargain price drops when the job is lost. ....very sad !

QUOTE(brilliantrot @ Nov 1 2010, 08:33 PM) *

Brilliantrot, your qoute is not Steve McQueen. That should be attributed to Michael Delaney, the Driver McQueen played in the movie.

True as that may be, Michael Delaney is a fictional character and the quote is rather emblematic of McQueen in real life. I guess if we were going to be truly accurate about attributing that quote, it should be attributed to Harry Kleiner.

A running '75 Carrera for $6k is amassing. I paid a little more than that recently for a rough around the edges but mechanically excellent and updated to 3.0L '75 911S.

carr914
QUOTE(brilliantrot @ Nov 2 2010, 12:33 AM) *

Just givin you some shit on the McQueen, even though Chad McQueen thought it was cool that I had Michael Delaney embroidered on my Gulf Jacket
mepstein
I'm in the middle of building a 40K car that should be worth 20K when I'm finished. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Nov 2 2010, 08:31 PM) *

No disrespect ....but what a depressing thread !

I have a really nice street 914-6 nconversion that has practically perfect paint new new new and can't get a bite around 16 which would be way off what it cost to build..Went as high as 14500 on evil bay but everyone (we) is a bottom feeder right now......Did you hear TC? Problem is like housing prices we may not be at the bottom. Your bargain price drops when the job is lost. ....very sad !

QUOTE(brilliantrot @ Nov 1 2010, 08:33 PM) *

flat4tom
Wow - what a beautiful car! I'd go 18.5 on that today without a second thought.

Let me know if I just bought it! driving.gif

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.