Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 2.0 with black bumpers & no vinyl sail panels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlkawashima
Newbie question here. I thought all '73 2.0L cars came standard optioned out ..... chrome bumpers, vinyl sail panels, center console, alloy wheels, etc. But I see a '73 for sale with black painted bumpers, no vinyl on the sail panels, and aftermarket alloy wheels (assume it originally had steel wheels). The owner says this was called the 914 "Sport" model. Can anyone educate me on the history of this model? Thanks!
tod914
Most 73's came fully optioned, but not all. Big topic on the "S" in the Orginality forum. Should give you some enjoyable reading. Seen two no sail black bumper original cars. Rare.
914Sixer
Might be a stock 1.7 car that has been upgraded to 2.0 L. 1.7 L did not come with the goodies. 73 2.0 SHOULD have the goodies with the exception of the front and rear sway bars as they were optional.
Midtowner
This thread and the 914S thread in the Originality forum caught my attention. My 1973 914 2.0 has been in my family its entire life and is in original condition save for some bolt on parts such as 140 lb springs. For 36 years, I've always wondered why the car does not have the appearance group and now I may know why (Porsche marketing priorities, monetary exchange rates, etc). So, I guess a few "stripper" 914's do exist. This may be some good information to add into the "for sale" advertisement once I complete a clean up of the car. smile.gif

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
In your family for 36 years and you're going to sell it?
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Midtowner @ Oct 29 2010, 08:56 PM) *

My 1973 914 2.0 has been in my family its entire life and is in original condition save for some bolt on parts such as 140 lb springs. For 36 years, I've always wondered why the car does not have the appearance group .....

Midtowner, if you have the original window sticker from the car, I am sure Tom T would be very interested in seeing it. In his "Legend of the 914S" thread, he states in message #42:

"Steve Gaglione (Sahara Beige 73 2L in O&H "The Few, the rare...") recalled some late in the 73 MY which were not loaded with everything ...... I've never been able to verify that nor find any 73MY 2L window sticker with those extras not N/C or without the full AG+PG option lists, so I really don't know if they indeed sold any lesser equipped 73 2L's here."

BTW, very nice looking car.
Midtowner
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 29 2010, 09:13 PM) *

In your family for 36 years and you're going to sell it?

Yeah, crazy huh? New expensive house, new baby, etc. are the reasons it's time to sell. wacko.gif
Midtowner
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 29 2010, 10:07 PM) *

My 1973 914 2.0 has been in my family its entire life and is in original condition save for some bolt on parts such as 140 lb springs. For 36 years, I've always wondered why the car does not have the appearance group .....

Midtowner, if you have the original window sticker from the car, I am sure Tom T would be very interested in seeing it. In his "Legend of the 914S" thread, he states in message #42:

"Steve Gaglione (Sahara Beige 73 2L in O&H "The Few, the rare...") recalled some late in the 73 MY which were not loaded with everything ...... I've never been able to verify that nor find any 73MY 2L window sticker with those extras not N/C or without the full AG+PG option lists, so I really don't know if they indeed sold any lesser equipped 73 2L's here."

I hope I can find the Monroni. Will scan and post here if it is found. Thx. smile.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Yes the factory made those cars. They had the sway bars center console and dual horns, yet black bumpers rear anodized trim and of all things, Mahle cast alloy wheels. The price point was better than the chrome bumpered fuchs alloyed 2.0 models. These were offered this way in 1973 only.

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 29 2010, 05:23 PM) *

Newbie question here. I thought all '73 2.0L cars came standard optioned out ..... chrome bumpers, vinyl sail panels, center console, alloy wheels, etc. But I see a '73 for sale with black painted bumpers, no vinyl on the sail panels, and aftermarket alloy wheels (assume it originally had steel wheels). The owner says this was called the 914 "Sport" model. Can anyone educate me on the history of this model? Thanks!

AndyB
biggrin.gif agree.gif Except for the dual horn and lack of fog lights that is exactly how mine is
Niklas
Both my cars are like that.
One is a -72 1.7 the other is a -73 1.7.
All black and no sailpanel and black bumpers and center console.
Originaly sold new in germany and then imported to sweden for 20 years ago.
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Oct 29 2010, 10:07 PM) *

As a matter of fact I got a chance to visit with Steve last week while I was in FL on Business, & drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif at his collection! We were talking then about it may be essentially a rare "option delete" on the late model year 73 2.0 occasionally put forth to keep the price down. Steve's Sahara Beige is among the last of the 73 2L's & fully loaded.

BTW - Mark - the ad for the 914S included F&R Sway Bars (Performance Group) as the included option package, as did Steve's, John/avidfanjpl, Murray/me733, mine & quite a few other of the "loaded" 914S/914-2.0's of 73 MY.

I've not heard of a "914 Sport" - maybe it was yet another Porsche+Audi marketing name, or perhaps the PO/seller confused their ads for the "914 Super" - but that would be fully loaded.

Yes please do post the window sticker &/or dealer invoice/BoS at the 914S topic in O&H. Jeff Bowlsby will probably pick it up from there to add to his collection & 914 info. data base.

Oh & welcome.png !!!!

I put mine away when we started the family to restore/repair later.
Maybe that's an option for you too, since it's essentially a one family ownership original`73 914 2.0 - & not many around anymore!? confused24.gif

Think about it carefully before you sell! shades.gif
914Sixer
Tom,
I will try to get the information posted later. Page 2 of the dealer information for 73 breaks down the dealer order codes, 473434, 473454 and 473644. Page 3 breaks down the 4th digit this way:

473434= standard trim
473534=standard trim+comfort trim
473644=standard trim+5 comfort trim and sport trim.

The ONLY dealer option code shown for the 2.0 is 473644. The other codes are for the 1.7.

I hope this adds to the confusion.
EdwardBlume
Maybe it would be good to know the VIN or month of production. Bet it was late since '74 saw cuts in features big time..
dlkawashima
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 3 2010, 04:04 PM) *

Maybe it would be good to know the VIN or month of production. Bet it was late since '74 saw cuts in features big time..

Found an old 'for sale' ad for a black trim '73 2.0. Note the VIN #: 4732918366.

IPB Image

BTW, the local car I mentioned in my first post had a manufacture date of 05/73.
914Sixer
Late production number would explain a lot. They had already changed over to the 74 production format. Probably one of those internal change never noted anywhere.
Tom_T
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 3 2010, 05:08 AM) *

Tom,
I will try to get the information posted later. Page 2 of the dealer information for 73 breaks down the dealer order codes, 473434, 473454 and 473644. Page 3 breaks down the 4th digit this way:

473434= standard trim
473534=standard trim+comfort trim
473644=standard trim+5 comfort trim and sport trim.

The ONLY dealer option code shown for the 2.0 is 473644. The other codes are for the 1.7.

I hope this adds to the confusion.

Hey Mark - that would be great if you could post all pages of that 73 document! beerchug.gif

I had to wing-in with 72 & 74 stuff I found on-line to "prove" to PCNA that THEY mucked up calling my Beige #31 interior "black" (which is #11) on the first 2 trys they made at my COA!!! dry.gif

IIRC - Jeff Bowlsby has one late 73 MY Munroney window sticker on his classic 914 web-pages that shows something other than 473644, but it may just be the equivalent AG+PG for "outside of CA" (49 state) 2.0's.

For those who haven't seen Jeff's info, go to the link below.

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/
> (see window stickers, optional eqpt. & model nos. relative to this discussion - but check them all out!)

You'll note there, that relative to the USA market for the above codes Mark has provided, that the
Appearance Group (AG for USA) = Comfort Trim &
Performance Group (PG for USA) = Sport Trim

Mark - I await your posts! smile.gif
popcorn[1].gif
zig-n-zag
Seems that I have one. Door jamb date is 4/73. I bought it as a
parts/donor car for my '72. Gauge console, front and rear swaybars,
even the side mirror is black. It had Ronal wheels. No-beam doors
with scissor lifts. It didn't have a front bumper or valance, but the
rear black bumper had a kind of chrome nerf bar bolted on.
Vin #4732920632, engine case #GA004783, odometer shows 105k.
I'll feel guilty if I cut her up, but it'll save my keepers. Nice thread!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.