Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to kill in Irvine/LA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stecz
I'm going to be traveling to LA next week (irvine actually). I arrive at LAX early in the morning, but my meeting isn't until 4:00pm. Anything car related I can do near by that can kill 4 to 6 hours?

Museums, etc?

Thanks
Joe.D
http://www.petersen.org/

Never been there, but would like to go sometime..
seanery
4 to 6 hours dealing with LAX-Peterson-Irvine could get tricky. I used to give an hour for each leg of a trip when I lived out there. The Peterson would be a great place to go, though. Pelican Parts is close by in El Segundo. There are tons of little Porsche shops in Marina Del Rey and close by. Maybe a lister in the area could give you a tour of some hot spots. There's a bitchin' Ferrari shop on Washington in Culver City.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(stecz @ Apr 21 2004, 06:28 AM)
Anything car related I can do near by that can kill 4 to 6 hours?

4 to 6 hours? you can drive from LAX to Irvine. biggrin.gif
drew365
Hang out at Otto's in Venice. I'm sure John loves it when customers hang out for 4 to 6 hours. laugh.gif
stecz
The peterson museum is closed on mondays (of course, when I have more time), but it is open on Tuesday and I'll have a couple of hours to burn then...
MattR
If you're going to be in irvine, there are a bunch of auto makers out here. Saleen is one I know off the top of my head. They give tours on request on thursday and friday, i think. Ford, Mazda, and Chryser are out here too. You would have to jump on their websites for info and maybe tour dates.

Other then that, if you're looking for culture out here in Irvine, go somewhere else. We have the Spectrum, which is kinda cool.

OH, and if you're in town on Saturday you HAVE to go to the crystal cove auditorium. Thats the huge informal car show where a bunch of rich guys from newport show off their ferraris and expensive old cars.
Gint
The Peterson Museum is definitely worth a visit. BTDT
Howard
Spectrum is Irvine's culture, don't put it down.

Take Pacific Coast Highway (it's called PCH here so don't sound like an alien), toodle down the coast, hit some beaches, and go to Dave and Buster's at the Spectrum. Matt, show the man around!
seanery
Oh, definitely get a double double from In-N-Out. mmmmmmmmmmmm everything is fresh, never frozen. Menu is small like the old days, but it's the best damn burger....mmmmmmmmmmmm
MattR
I dig the spectrum, I was there just last weekend.

I would be glad to show you around, but I am very new to irvine and I really dont know my way around so Im afraid I would be wasting your time. I would highly suggest trying to get an appointment with Saleen for a tour. Ive never done it, but it sounds really cool, and Ive been to the factory.

You could go down to Newport Beach to hang out, if you wanted to do the beach thing. Its nice down there, but kinda expensive.

What days are you going to be in Irvine?
swood
Dude, skip the In'n Out. Get a steak at Ruth Chris's Steak House. just down a bit from John Wayne. I think off of Jamboree. MMMMMMMM....gud!

Beef...it's whats for dinner. biggrin.gif
seanery
ruth's chris are everywhere, in-n-out isn't.
campbellcj
I wouldn't plan to hop on the 405 South at 3pm to make your meeting!

If you can find something to keep you busy in the Irvine area, that would be your best bet as you would have an easier drive from LA around noon-ish.

You might make your way over to Andial and arrange for a quick tour. Never been there myself but I have seen pics and it looks like an awe-inspiring place, full of NOS unobtanium parts for 917's, 935's and such.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.