Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front bumper pad removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
I'm replacing my front bumper pad (73) and cant figure out how it comes off? whats the best way to do this? -and of course if anyone has any good suggestions for putting the new one on I'd love to hear that also! Thanks

-Adam
Rusty
Remove the bumper with the 4 (15mm) bolts that hold it in place from inside the front trunk. (edited by me)

Once the bumper is off, I believe it's a matter of removing a series of 10mm nuts holding the top in place.

hope this helps.

-Rusty smoke.gif
d7n7master
Remove the front bumper from the car. Turn it over & remove all of the nuts. Good luck - mine were rusted in place. No Worriez, the new pad comes with new studs. Clean up the nuts or just replace them. Do NOT over tighten.
Done deal. smilie_pokal.gif
Joe Bob
"I" think they are 13mm headed bolts.... wink.gif

On removal of the bumper....Have someone hold onto one side when taking out the last bolts....saves the bumper from falling over and taking out your knee or denting a good bumper. Don't forget to use anti-seize on the bolts...

On re-install.....it is advised to tape the rubber dogbones to the bumper to keep the holes aligned. It helps on the re-install......
Thanks, this helps- I didnt know that the whole bumper needed to come off!
boxstr
A floor jack or roll around seat is a good second hand to hold the bumper when removing or replacing.
When replacing the bumper, if you can find a much longer bolt that is the same thread pitcha d size as stock you can use that to easily start the bumper then screw in the remaining three stock ones, PS It is a fabulous idea to replace the old bolts and washer with new stainless steel ones, no rust.
Oh and while you have the bumper off, wash and wax the front area behind the bumper, " it's a good thing"
CCLINMARTHASAUTOTIPS
ruddyboys
Remove the bumper with the 4 (15mm) bolts that hold it in place from inside the front trunk.
LB (otherwise known as Rusty)

I never removed my front bumper, If you need to get in the trunck to remove the bolts, how do you remove the bumper to get at the emegency access hole if the trunck lock cable brakes?
STL914
Am I mistaken or aren't the bumper mounting bolts accessed from the front wheel weels?
Rusty
Thank you both... I stand corrected. pray.gif

The last bumper I had off was the rear one. My bad. smile.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
STL914
Rusty,

Not to get OT, but what are you flying these days? I spent three years occupying the left seat in OH-58s as an AeroScout while in the Wis. NG.
Joe Bob
REAR trunk has two of them inside and two outside in the rear fender wells. ALL four for the front bumber are accessible in the fenders.
I'm sure this will be obvious now that I know that the whole front bumper needs to be removed, but...

are you saying that the screws are accessable from the front trunk or from inside the front fender wells? if so, I'm guessing that I'll need to jack up the front and remove the front tires, put the front end on jack stands and then un-bolt the bumper?
Aaron Cox
turn wheels to the right..... loosen right side bolts, turn wheels to left...access to left ones... bumper is unbolted and voila! youre ready to take that pad off!
william harris
Wrong, you don't have to do any of that. Get your shop light. Look inside each front fender well. You will see two bolts (the heads) Loosen the bolts, make sure someone is handy the catch the bumper because it is heavy. The bumper will come right off. Now, the top pad is also held in place with several small bolts, from the pad, thru the bumper. Remove the nuts and the pad is easily removed. Call me if you have any questions. 978 921-2929.
Thanks William,

I'll be giving it a go this weekend so long as the part has arrived.. If I can't figure it out I'll call you for more info

-Adam
william harris
Adam, are you on the North Shore? Give me a call and I will come over to your house. We will have that bumper off in five minutes - and that's stopping to chat. beer.gif
krk
fwiw, I use a spare tire propped/wedged appropriately against the front bumper to hold it both when removing it and putting it back on.

kim.
ruddyboys
The front top pad was taken off by the PO and replaced with a homemade fiberglass one (and it looked it). I have the original pad and all the bolts were sered of on removal I assume. I was thinking of drilling straight thru the rubber and putting some carage bolts painted black thru to attach to bumper. It should look to bad, untill I can aford a good replacement
Wow I'm lazy

I wrote this in April and I'm just getting around to doing it now,

-The nuts are so far inside of the wheel wells, I cant access them with any wrench or similar tool!

-What would you all recommend for use to reach these? My socket set will reach but then there is no room to turn it! Maybe just a 15mm wrench and try to turn it a little at a time? I still dont think this will work because the space is so small?

Help!

-William, if your out there I'm west of boston, in Natick, let me know if you are around this weekend, maybe I take you up on your offer (of 6 months ago!) if I cant get the bumper off by sunday

-Adam
bob91403
QUOTE(krk @ Apr 21 2004, 03:22 PM)
fwiw, I use a spare tire propped/wedged appropriately against the front bumper to hold it both when removing it and putting it back on.

kim.

Nice tip! clap56.gif I used a large enough cardboard box to catch the bumper as it came off. The tire sounds like a much better method, if you don't have an extra set of hands wavey.gif
bob91403
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Apr 21 2004, 05:29 PM)
The front top pad was taken off by the PO and replaced with a homemade fiberglass one (and it looked it). I have the original pad and all the bolts were sered of on removal I assume. I was thinking of drilling straight thru the rubber and putting some carage bolts painted black thru to attach to bumper. It should look to bad, untill I can aford a good replacement

Couldn't you drill the cut off posts and use some washers and sheet metal screws? Carriage bolts would look poor. wavey.gif
Root_Werks
To loosen the bolts for the bumper use a long extension with socket method. Someone already stated before, turn wheel left loosen bolts, turn wheen right loosen bolts, have something or someone catch bumper.

If you are tossing your old pad, just turn the little nuts. Either they will come off or break the little studs. Either way it will come off. I think there are 6 of them? <_<
bob91403
QUOTE(7391420 @ Oct 5 2004, 09:09 AM)

-The nuts are so far inside of the wheel wells, I cant access them with any wrench or similar tool!

-What would you all recommend for use to reach these? My socket set will reach but then there is no room to turn it! Maybe just a 15mm wrench and try to turn it a little at a time? I still dont think this will work because the space is so small?

Help!

-William, if your out there I'm west of boston, in Natick, let me know if you are around this weekend, maybe I take you up on your offer (of 6 months ago!) if I cant get the bumper off by sunday

-Adam

acox was right. agree.gif Turn the wheels out to give you enough room to get at those bolts, should be easy. wavey.gif
Aaron Cox
use a 6 to 12" extension on a 3/8 ratchet. EASY. i used a 5 gallon bucket and a towel to hold mine.
Thanks guys,

I'll give it a go over the next day or 2, I may need to get a better extention for my socket set, I think all i have is a 4 inch attachment, so I'll probably pick up a longer one!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.