Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on the motor fan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
Ok, my 4 bolts on my pulley on the fan motor are loose with 1 missing. Any tips on tightning? Can't get a socket wrench to them from the front of the engine as they are partly behind the pulley.

Anybody have experience with these and the fan pulley - any tips? Major PITA area to work in, not exactly sure how to get a wrench to them. It won't tighten by hand, just keeps screwing.
patssle
Ok, what size bolts hold the pulley housing on the blower fan? Been fighting it for too long because I can't see crap, aggravating. Can't find anything on Google regarding the fan pulley.

Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, finally found it.
realred914
QUOTE(patssle @ Oct 31 2010, 10:05 AM) *

Ok, what size bolts hold the pulley housing on the blower fan? Been fighting it for too long because I can't see crap, aggravating. Can't find anything on Google regarding the fan pulley.

Thanks.

i racall there are square heads on some of they bolts, but it has been a while.
patssle
Yes, they are square heads. Is there any reason to stay square or can I put regular nuts on?
pcar916
You'll get help from folks here on the issue specifically and I can't speak to a four cylinder 914, but here is the online Porsche PET link so you can get a part number in the future.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...partscatalogue/

Good luck
patssle
Finally found a parts diagram that showed the /4 fan housing. Many are showing a /6 engine fan housing. M7 square nuts.

Anybody have experience with these and the fan pulley - any tips? Major PITA area to work in, not exactly sure how to get a wrench to them. It won't tighten by hand, just keeps screwing.
patssle
Bump. Still can't get the nut to tighten that mounts the pulley to the fan housing.
Jake Raby
Remove the entire fan to do this work.. It's imperative that the fan ring be centered onto the fan else it'll throw belts and will also compromise the engine's dynamic balance.
patssle
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 31 2010, 04:49 PM) *

Remove the entire fan to do this work.. It's imperative that the fan ring be centered onto the fan else it'll throw belts and will also compromise the engine's dynamic balance.

Good point. Is it possible with the engine in the car to remove the fan? I'm assuming the bare minimum is to at least remove the front engine tin.
McMark
I seem to recall trying to get the fan out years ago and failing.
EdwardBlume
I seem to remember it not being that easy with the engine out....
patssle
Hah. Well I'll probably just focus on getting the pulley screwed on. I'll be pulling this engine sometime soon anyways for the /6.

So does anybody have some advice for the pulley and how to get the nuts to tighten? Where can I get pressure on the bolt from the other side to stop it from turning?
McMark
You must access the 12point fastener on the back of the fan in order to tighten the pulley nut. That fan is coming out.
patssle
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 1 2010, 01:12 PM) *

You must access the 12point fastener on the back of the fan in order to tighten the pulley nut. That fan is coming out.

Grrr. So to clarify, the bolts that the 4 square nuts tighten on are accessible with the fan removed.

Thanks for the info.
gothspeed
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 1 2010, 02:12 PM) *

+1 ..... that sounds correct to me as well.
r_towle
If I had to do this, I would probably drop the motor...
At a minimum, try to remove the front engine tin...there are two screws from underneath that hold the two halves of the front tin together...remove those.
Remove the tin screws that hold it to the fan housing...there are three or four of those.
then remove the tin screws that hold the front tin to the side/head tins.

You may be able to wiggle it around and get it out of there once its apart.
then remove the fan from the motor and either fix it right, or get a used one and bolt that on.

Rich
Jake Raby
Remove the front tin and the fan will barely come out with the engine in the car..
Or loosen the engine and trans mount bolts, slide the engine aft and then do it..
bam914
Do like Jake said. Remove the tin from in front of the fan. If I remember correctly pull it out the bottom.
patssle
Thanks guys. Will give it a go later this week and report back. Hopefully I can avoid my first engine drop until the conversion is ready to go! Though I was almost hoping I need to drop to get a little experience...plenty of time for that though.
McMark
Sounds like you've got typical EDA (Engine Drop Anxiety). The only cure is to dig in and try it. Then you can post the typical "That wasn't as hard as I thought!" thread.

beerchug.gif
patssle
Wow, it was actually pretty easy to get the fan out! The tin was the hardest part.

I'm missing 2 squarehead nuts, anybody know if those are available in an actual store?
McMark
The nuts are supposed to be welded on. Otherwise installation is a PITA. If I were you I would just find replacement pieces since they're cheap. You can get standard M6x1.00 nuts at any good hardware store. If you need square nuts, PM me your address and I'll send you a few.
patssle
I meant the squarehead nuts on the pulley. Thanks though!

But I ended up going with regular metric self-locking nuts then also with locktite. Hopefully that will hold up. Will put it all back together tomorrow.
patssle
Holy crap...the tin is a major PITA to take on and off. 15 hours spent on this project....WITH my dad. Not sure if I could of completed it alone...reinstalling the tin BLOWS. Fixing the actual blower was the easiest part.

But all done! Hopefully...will drive it to work tomorrow.

And still an 'engine drop virgin'. For now...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.