Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why didnt you guys tell me about...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
I was ripping out my driveway yesterday, when my neighbor Rich came over and says Hey Joe. Turns out he and his wife own a asphalt company in York piratenanner.gif he said I could drop off all the asphalt at the quarry and they will recycle it FREE

smilie_pokal.gif

So he hops in my truck and he directs me to the factory, about 5 mins from my house. As soon as we get to the factory he is showing me all the equipment and how everything works. Soooo Coool sunglasses.gif He then helps me unload the truck. Unbelievable how cool my neighbors are.

On my 2nd load i noticed a sign right next to me. huh.gif

Click to view attachment

I cant,t believe you guys didnt tell me about these Guys, I took a few pics from their site.....

w00t.gif
jsayre914
Owners name is Tony Miller...

I have to meet this guy chowtime.gif
jsayre914
Anybody eles Cant believe this Gem i stumbled on, check the website, more pics, pics pics aktion035.gif

jsayre914
Translog GT
jcambo7
That is awesome! Some very nice looking 914's there! Thanks for sharing! beerchug.gif
BigDBass
holy crap. nice find! get him to the world!
sixnotfour
Is that Gary Wigglesworths old shop ?
he owned the Sunoco GT and #11
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/image/26157284
jsayre914
I believe he was the previous owner, the shop moved from downtown york, to where i just found it. Hidden in a quarry smile.gif
jsayre914
In case you were interested, here is 4 hours of work using 2 crowbars, a 6 foot breakerbar and a sledge hammer. Then i borrowed a 1/2 ton pickup to move 3 tons of asphalt. everything was picked up by hand and shovel and dumped using the same method....

My whole body aches sad.gif
AndyB
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Oct 31 2010, 03:44 PM) *

In case you were interested, here is 4 hours of work using 2 crowbars, a 6 foot breakerbar and a sledge hammer. Then i borrowed a 1/2 ton pickup to move 3 tons of asphalt. everything was picked up by hand and shovel and dumped using the same method....

My whole body aches sad.gif

Hey you need to rake those leaves av-943.gif lol-2.gif
Eric_Shea
Why didnt you guys tell me about

DAMN IT... He found out about Translog! headbang.gif

Now what do we do guys?!?! confused24.gif Tony's gonna kill us!

Thank God 2012 is coming soon...
scotty b
It's o.k. Eric, He won't remember it by morning smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif
jsayre914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 31 2010, 06:41 PM) *

Actually...

Me and Zach are planning a visit Tuesday. We will report back on our findings.

Zach, it would be cool if we both drove are teeners over there. driving.gif driving.gif
VaccaRabite
Ha! Thats like 5 minutes from your house.

I am going to try and be able to make it tuesday, but its going to have to take second fiddle to the putting the roof trusses up for the shed, since I have a friend coming over to help me get them up.

Zach
jsayre914
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 31 2010, 08:49 PM) *

Ha! Thats like 5 minutes from your house.

I am going to try and be able to make it tuesday, but its going to have to take second fiddle to the putting the roof trusses up for the shed, since I have a friend coming over to help me get them up.

Zach

Do you mean to say that your shed comes first !! This is official 914 World Bussiness.

Fall in line soldier!
whip[1].gif
VaccaRabite
If I fall in line it might include falling off a ladder later. I need a second pair of hands to help with the roof skelleton. I put up the first truss today and it was... tenious.
IPB Image

Zach
type47
OK, just for the record, aircooledracing is also located in your "area". You could also visit Steve Limbert there who does the 914 thing like Gary Wigglesworth did the 914 thing. Both have been present at all the Hershey swap meets (Translog after Gary passed) for many years and the swap meet at Ski Roundtop before Hershey. We're not going to have to tell you about Holbert's too are we? biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
Aircooled Racing is a great shop, but its not 5 minutes away. I've gone up there a few times when I needed stuff.

I had never heard of Translog.
I have also never heard of Holberts. If it is in York, then I am doubly dumbfounded. So many days I spent when in the restoration phase waiting on shipping for a 50 cent part when there were shops around that probably had them on the shelf. Translog never showed up in any of my online searches.

Zach
mepstein
http://www.holberts.com

Not in York but I think Warrington is near you?

- One of my friends bought a '05 911 cabriolet from them recently. He can't understand why I'm putting $ into a 40 year old car.
type47
Found a picture I took at Summit Point Motorsports Park
Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment
jsayre914
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 1 2010, 07:02 AM) *

OK, just for the record, aircooledracing is also located in your "area". You could also visit Steve Limbert there who does the 914 thing like Gary Wigglesworth did the 914 thing. Both have been present at all the Hershey swap meets (Translog after Gary passed) for many years and the swap meet at Ski Roundtop before Hershey. We're not going to have to tell you about Holbert's too are we? biggrin.gif

Jim, did we meet? I cant seem to put a face with your name. I am a little smoke.gif sometimes. You seem to be very knowledgeable on whos who in my neighborhood. Thanks a lot for the tips. beerchug.gif

Zach, I just got off the phone with Tony smile.gif He seems like a great guy and welcomed us to stop by tommorow. He's in the shop from 7am to 3:30. I was thinking 1ish.

piratenanner.gif
VaccaRabite
I will be playing by ear tomorrow. If it looks like I'm done for the day, I'll let you know I'm coming. But if it looks like I'll be able to finish the shed, I'll be doing that. I need to get it done so that I can start working on my cars again!

Zach
Eric_Shea
(The all knowing Zambizzi predicts that Her Joeseph shall be smitten by the GT bug soon. All plans for heavey music producing magnetics will soon be cast aside for all things GT)
type47
Your eyes are getting sleepy ...
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
V-E-R-Y Sleepy...

IPB Image
sixnotfour
Gary used to make some nice GT lids, Inquire if the new owner has the molds ? and any interest in making them ,,,, of course Cheep smoke.gif
type47
You're going into a DEEP sleep ... yellowsleep[1].gif
Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
stop it stop it stop it.

You are not doing anything to Joe but you are doing deep and lasting damage to my bank account.
sixnotfour
deepdeepsleep
Dr Evil
Oh ya, Tony is a nice guy. I knew about this place, surprised you didnt. wink.gif It is Wigglsworth's old shop.

You know of European Import Maintenance Center in Pennbrook near Harrisburg, right? Paul is a class act and actually works on our cars.
jsayre914
drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

pray.gif
Eric_Shea
Oh ya, Tony is a nice guy. I knew about this place, surprised you didnt. It is Wigglsworth's old shop.

Says Dr. Comelately... LOL
Dr Evil
confused24.gif I hate my current rotation. I am being beaten like a rented mule sad2.gif
rick 918-S
Jeeze! this thing is Sic!

Click to view attachment

There is no place around here like that! Well except my place. smile.gif Well then that's not even close.. dry.gif

Oh, and get to work Doc, Ya slacker. dead horse.gif biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Jeeze! this thing is Sic!

No, no, no... he painted it that color on "purpose" biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
I know that place... it's Gary Wigglsworth's old shop! lol3.gif
ChicagoPete
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Nov 1 2010, 12:12 PM) *

Gary used to make some nice GT lids, Inquire if the new owner has the molds ? and any interest in making them ,,,, of course Cheep smoke.gif

Gary's lids, bumpers and rockers were some of the best repro's around at the time.

When I was doing my car I bought 2 sets of lids off him...sold the 2nd set on eBay, now I am wishing I didn't get rid of them!!!

Peter
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 1 2010, 09:50 AM) *

Not in York but I think Warrington is near you?

Warrington is over in my part of SEPA - bit of a hike from York.

Been to Holbert's a couple of times.
Last time I was there, they'd actually still work on air-cooled cars (not all Porsche dealers do...).
Eric_Shea

Dear God... you were right! ohmy.gif

lol3.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 3 2010, 10:35 AM) *

Dear God... you were right! ohmy.gif

lol3.gif

No kidding. He called me yesterday to see if I was freed up to visit (I wasn't). Said he'd let me know.

Maybe Joe was eaten by bears.

Zach
Eric_Shea
Maybe Joe's been eating brownies... chowtime.gif lol3.gif
jsayre914
dry.gif

Be nice biggrin.gif

I was at the shop about 45 min with my 914 driving.gif I met Tony, very nice guy and lots to talk about. I did not want to monopolize all of his time, but there was a lot to see. Outide there was a variety of cool cars. 911's, 912's 928's etc. Some of them were mint drooley.gif

Once inside there was an office with lots of cool upgrades laying around, then into the shop space. There was a project 914 on a rotisseree needing much love. I believe he owned that one. Then there was a silver six up on the lift. This thing looked like it just drove from the dealership aktion035.gif In the middle bay was the coolest project, the "KarminBoxter" a boxter with a ghia body on it.

There was a huge barn door from the shop into another giant space with another group of cars including 2 914,s waiting their turn to be upgraded/fixed. Very big place. I grabbed a card for you Zach. He also said that he would stock Brad Penn by the case for us and anything eles we might need cheer.gif

I only took a few pics cause i was talking so much rolleyes.gif
jsayre914
Now i have to work again

smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Nov 3 2010, 11:43 AM) *
In the middle bay was the coolest project, the "KarminBoxter" a boxter with a ghia body on it.

WTF.gif

I've been looking for a Ghia body to do just that! Damn, and here i thought i had a new idea ... sad.gif
jsayre914
I should stop by Tony's shop once a week. I am sorry I dont have any pics, (tired of you guys laughing at my cell phone pic quality) I stopped by at lunch time for help with my 2056 and when i walked in....

aktion035.gif

First I saw the Ghia project, looks about the same as I last saw it. Incredible. Next I saw a forest green 356 lookes right off the assembly line. Inside and out the car was mint, i could see my reflection off the dashboard pray.gif Next I walked by the 911's they arent so interesting rolleyes.gif into the next wing where there was a fabulous 914 up in the air. It was bright orange and flawless from what I could see. Fake fuches though dry.gif and then sitting underneath of it was a Lamborghini, I have no idea what kind but it looked exactly like the one on cannonball run. first.gif

He would not let me take it for a test drive. sad.gif

I always have the best time when I visit this shop. Tony was talking about the swap too, he is a sponsor . If you need a shop in PA I think this shop is worth the drive no matter how far.

shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.