Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with paint for my aluminum dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
Anybody ever use this stuff? Is this stuff any good. The can has almost no directions for metal prep. Clean, degease, scuff. I have some good etch prime in a can. Should I prime first? I search the websit on the can duplicolor.com and it was kinda worthless.
Mike Bellis
I use it without primer with good results.
dadaDaveed
QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 31 2010, 12:21 PM) *

Anybody ever use this stuff? Is this stuff any good. The can has almost no directions for metal prep. Clean, degease, scuff. I have some good etch prime in a can. Should I prime first? I search the websit on the can duplicolor.com and it was kinda worthless.

Not the same stuff, but I used rustoleum "hammered metal" paint on my brake shields. Found it very difficult to achieve consistent texture... some area were very "hammered"... others smooth. Your results may be much better with a different product. I would do some test pieces first.
ellisor3
QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 31 2010, 01:21 PM) *

I have used it on bare metal with good results. I would put a clear coat over it because it scratches/chips pretty easily.
Krieger
Thanks guys. I just googled it and found that a guy on a harley site put it directly on crome after a lot of sanding. Het let it dry for 15 min then put it in his oven at 200* for a few minutes. I cant do that but I d have a Halogen light I could set in front of it. I have already sanded it with 320.
gothspeed
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 31 2010, 10:29 AM) *

I use it without primer with good results.

+1 .... for some reason it chips easier using primer.
rick 918-S
I would first use a red scuff pad to give the part some tooth then use a two part self etching primer like DuPonts Veri-Prime first. The spray can stuff works but is less effective than the two part professional primers. The acid etch is not as powerful. Using a good product will give you a chemical bond the to aluminum and leave a soft surface for the wrinkle paint to bond to. But that's just me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.