Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Tool in My Box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I was cleaning out the special tools section of my box. I came across this. Do you know what it is for? I am sure the Cap'n will know right away. I thought I would have some fun with this. biggrin.gif
qa1142
for aiming round headlamps... I think
914Sixer
Yes, that is what it does. You can aim your headlights at home. I have not seen one of these in years.
jt914-6
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Oct 31 2010, 07:04 PM) *

for aiming round headlamps... I think

agree.gif It's for aiming a round headlight..high/low beam type...they are made for the rectangle ones too....
jim_hoyland
Cool smile.gif How do they work ?
Bruce Hinds
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 31 2010, 06:39 PM) *

I like foggy nights, screw what's legal, you can see where they go.
messix
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 31 2010, 06:39 PM) *

pretty good!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 31 2010, 09:39 PM) *
How do they work ?

It's hard to get past Step One in the instructions: Find A Perfectly Level Location but assuming you can manage that, the tool indexes on the bumps that all sealed beam headlights have and shows the inclination from vertical via the bubble level.

That's it.

You're on your own for side-to-side aiming.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Nov 1 2010, 06:09 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 31 2010, 09:39 PM) *
How do they work ?

It's hard to get past Step One in the instructions: Find A Perfectly Level Location but assuming you can manage that, the tool indexes on the bumps that all sealed beam headlights have and shows the inclination from vertical via the bubble level.

That's it.

You're on your own for side-to-side aiming.

What would be cool is to modify this and mount a pencil type laser pointer in the middle. Now you can easily do side to side alignment.
messix
you can do that with a cheapo laser level, just position it horizontal aiming to the other light and measure that same distance from the light that the level is from the light and make adjustment to match.
Drums66
.....also...up against the wall biggrin.gif poke.gif
(that would work better!)cool tool
bye1.gif
charliew
My shop doors have the horizontal ridges in them and that makes it easy to get both sides level, centering and heigth is to my preferences as they don't check them any more at the inspection station. I also have one of those tools somewhere in my special tools drawer or hanging on the wall or in a cabinet or in a box somewhere.

Talking about adjusting headlights, my 91 suburban has the 4 rectangular lights and the adjuster screws plastic nuts have started letting go at random, one at a time, not while I'm adjusting them. I either notice a light crooked or it shines down in front at a extreme angle. I bought eight new adjusters but I've been putting them in one at a time as they give up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.