Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New found respect for those rebuilding a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rock914
Hey all I am in the process of tearing down a 74 914 that I picked up for spare parts and hopefully a usable 2 liter. Got the car on Craigslist, but it is in sad, sad condition. The body is shot, it is actually breaking in the middle so my plan is to sawzall-smiley.gif pull off the good stuff and send the rest to the junk yard. Pulling the motor out of a rusting crumbling car is both challenging and somewhat dangerous. Anyway, I have to say I have a new found respect for anyone who does a complete strip down and rebuild. The amount of time that it takes to disassemble the old rusted parts without destroying them is smash.gif perplexing. I would highly recommend that anyone with a 914 buy a Junker and strip it down, the knowledge and understanding that you pick up in the process is priceless. I have lots of spare parts now!!! Time to get them organized and figure out where to put them all and get this rusted pos body out of here!!

IPB Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

IPB Image

IPB Image

strawman
Yeah, be sure to be up to date with your tetanus shots! biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Be sure to record the VIN # here on world!
Eric_Shea
New found respect for those rebuilding a 914

I was just thinking the same thing as I was removing my fuel lines and installing the SS version. Nothing on a 914 seems to come easy. Everything had to be earned today.
rock914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 31 2010, 06:09 PM) *

New found respect for those rebuilding a 914

I was just thinking the same thing as I was removing my fuel lines and installing the SS version. Nothing on a 914 seems to come easy. Everything had to be earned today.

Top of my list is fuel lines and lifter tube seals, neither one is going to be much fun. I may just rebuild the 2 liter that I just pulled drop it in place of my 1.8 and change the fuel lines at the same time. Either way, a major undertaking

IPB Image

Eric_Shea
I may just rebuild the 2 liter that I just pulled drop it in place of my 1.8 and change the fuel lines at the same time.

Good Plan.

On the fuel lines... I went the the shifter opening, peeled back the tabs holding the lines. Cut the lines and pulled the front pieces through the shifter opening and yanked the remainder back through the engine compartment.
rock914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 31 2010, 06:39 PM) *

I may just rebuild the 2 liter that I just pulled drop it in place of my 1.8 and change the fuel lines at the same time.

Good Plan.

On the fuel lines... I went the the shifter opening, peeled back the tabs holding the lines. Cut the lines and pulled the front pieces through the shifter opening and yanked the remainder back through the engine compartment.

LOVE the 914 but it has the original lines sad.gif also the oil leak drips on the exaust manifold and I get lots of smoke when I stop. Sooooo I need to just bite the bullet in tear into it. I will be using the S.S lines as well because I only want to do it once. Thanks for the tip!
veltror
I did my fuel lines when the whle of the floor was off, and it still is
VaccaRabite
You have a 2 post lift. Man, that's almost cheating. You gotta do the engine drop with a few jackstands and a floor jack for the real experience!
poke.gif smile.gif

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 31 2010, 07:02 PM) *

Be sure to record the VIN # here on world!

agree.gif

Please add the VIN of the dead car to the database ... smile.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 1 2010, 06:06 AM) *

You have a 2 post lift. Man, that's almost cheating. You gotta do the engine drop with a few jackstands and a floor jack for the real experience!
poke.gif smile.gif

Zach

Including some kind of oil / dirt chunk in your eye...
RFoulds
No kidding. I used to have a garage full of tools, 3 bays and a lift. Lots of room.

Now, I keep forgetting that anything I do has to be done with far fewer tools, no lift and squeezed into the 2 car garage next to my son's camaro.

Every project takes 3 times as long, and is not near as fun when I am laying on my back. on the concrete floor.

I hate this economy.
hissyfit.gif
aircooledboy
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 1 2010, 04:02 PM) *

Including some kind of oil / dirt chunk in your eye...

av-943.gif
Holy CRAP, aint that the truth. Every freaking time. lol-2.gif
indianmort
that car looks to be in so much better shape than mine at the start. one of the members i bought some suspension mounts and motor mounts had cut up a car that was in much better shape than mine. but...mine was free and i figured what the heck either i will do a nice job, gain some skill and have a fun finished product or i will cut it up and try again.
rock914
I got the lift when we had 2 motors blow in 3 weeks a few years ago. It was way cheaper to purchase the lift and do it myself then paying to have a new motor installed in a Oldsmobile van by someone else. Thanks god all went well with the van motor otherwise my wife would have NOT been happy. I did not really need the lift for my truck motor but it didn't hurt any piratenanner.gif

Believe me I hate to send any 914 in to the great beyond but this one is truly not worth saving. even with the motor out I don't dare open both doors at the same time.

I will be sure to log the Vin before I send it on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.