Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter ball removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
slu234
I am replacing all the bushings in my tail shifter linkage but had problems at the shifter balls (#53 in the schematic).

How are they removed? Didn't want to damage anything else in the process.

Thanks,
Brian

Click to view attachment
76-914
Mine just fell out. To answer your question; they just slide in n out.
Mikey914
There is a crush washer you can see in the diagram, you can simply pull it off. The problem you will have is installation, it may not crush enough to hold as well. I drop or two silicone will help (do not use allot if you ever want to be able to remove).
pcar916
Many of them are stuck in there, some with a vacuum behind the plastic cup if the vent hole is plugged. It's an easy fix.

Solidly mount the shift lever, like in a vice with aluminum jaws or something to protect the shaft, Then don protective goggles and gloves and firmly hold the ball-socket. Blow compressed air into the vent hole. It'll pop right out.

Then separate the ball from it's plastic cup. Lubricate it, replace the cup and stick it back in there. I like silicon lube.

Dooop... wrong piece, sorry. Oh well somebody didn't know this.
rtalich
DO NOT try and pull it off with you head directly over the shifter.... in a position like you were drinking something. headbang.gif

Just about gave myself a black eye... chair.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.