Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Header on 1974 914 2.0 FI
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tman914
Looking to see what name brand is the best out there and if ther any problems running a header

Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tman914 @ Nov 2 2010, 12:18 PM) *

Looking to see what name brand is the best out there and if ther any problems running a header

- No Heat

On a stock 2.0L with the stock FI, a racing header will not give you more power than a set of SSI heat exchangers.

The SSI's have larger than stock pipes, don't rust and produce more heat than stock exchangers.

IMHO, for a stock car, SSI's are the far better choice. popcorn[1].gif
bdstone914
AND SSI's remove about 25 pounds from the car.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Tman914 @ Nov 2 2010, 12:18 PM) *

Thanks

msds
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 2 2010, 04:04 PM)

msds

Not the best, not even close.
yeahmag
Always been curious about the MSDS headers...
stugray
Not changing topic, this is related.

I got two complete sets of stainless Steel heat exchangers with a parts car I bought. It was a 71 1.8L.

I also am building a stock 2.0L for a different car.

Will the SS HEs from the 1.7 or 1.8 fit on the 2.0 Engine?

Stu
SirAndy
QUOTE(stugray @ Nov 2 2010, 03:05 PM) *
Will the SS HEs from the 1.7 or 1.8 fit on the 2.0 Engine?

Yes, but you will need to use the 1.7/1.8 muffler and muffler hanger as well ... smash.gif
Tman914
Thanks for the info will have to save up some cash

bmtrnavsky
How much does a pair of SS HE's run for a 2.0?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Nov 2 2010, 11:18 PM) *

depends on condition, and they are all used. There are still NIB ones out there, but they don't turn up for sale often, and when they do its for over a grand.

I sold a set of 2.0 SSIs with very minor dings for ~$400 in 2007. I was lowish on the price, but more interested in making a sale then making more money.

Zach
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 3 2010, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Nov 2 2010, 11:18 PM) *

depends on condition, and they are all used. There are still NIB ones out there, but they don't turn up for sale often, and when they do its for over a grand.

I sold a set of 2.0 SSIs with very minor dings for ~$400 in 2007. I was lowish on the price, but more interested in making a sale then making more money.

Zach

Wow... Hard to find! What kind of performance increase is there with these? I'm surprised no one is making something similar.
Root_Werks
Since I believe no one is currently making SS heater boxes for 914-4's right now, I've seen REAL 2.0 sets in good shape sell for $800 recently.

I can remember buying new one's for $175 a side in the mid 90's.

There are some good threads about SS heater boxes, search for them. It's been researched and found the pipe diameter from the 1.7-1.8 and 2.0 SS units are the same. This isn't becuase the manufacturer was trying to improve anything, it's becuase it would have cost more to stock two different sized pipes.

The only difference between using 1.7-1.8 to 2.0 units as stated is the muffler hanger and muffler/header unit.

I backdated my 75' 2.0 with 1.7-1.8 SS units, sourced a 1.7 muffler hanger and 1.7 Bursch header/muffler. Works perfect and wieghs about 40lbs less than the stock 75-76' system.
JmuRiz
Good to know the price-points, I'll have a set to sell once I get going on my 6 conversion...2.0 carb'd engine too...if this is too much of a thread-jack feel free to remove this post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.