Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torque setting for front strut nut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer
I just got done putting new Koni strut inserts on the front of my car. Well, I should say "almost done" since I haven't torqued down the nuts that are at the top of the insert.

I did a search but couldn't find it. I looked it up in the Haynes, but I don't trust those bastards.

So...

What's the torque setting for the 22mm nuts that are on the top of the strut inserts in the front trunk?

Thanks in advance to those that choose to share their wisdom on this subject. pray.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Paul Heery @ Apr 21 2004, 11:34 AM)
What's the torque setting for the 22mm nuts that are on the top of the strut inserts in the front trunk?

looks like 8,0 mkg
Part Pricer
Thank you.

It looks like the folks at Haynes got something right.
jim_hoyland
Researching this too: Would 60 ft-lbs be the same ?
cary
58 lbs or 2 uga dugas on the impact gun after it runs up tight.
mepstein
QUOTE(cary @ Aug 25 2018, 10:27 AM) *

58 lbs or 2 uga dugas on the impact gun after it runs up tight.

laugh.gif I also use the impact gun to remove and replace. The smaller one.
cary
I use my 600lb IR with 2 uga dugas and it torques right at 60 lbs. The rubber eats a lot of the impact.
jim_hoyland
Thanks; I assume I can just use my HF torque wrench ?
cary
What shocks do have ? They need to have the allen socket in the top to do it with a torque wrench. That holds the shock shaft in place while your turning the nut with a crows foot.
Sometimes the stars align and you have enough bite in the rubber to do it without the allen wrench.
My .02c for the am.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(cary @ Aug 26 2018, 06:36 AM) *

What shocks do have ? They need to have the allen socket in the top to do it with a torque wrench. That holds the shock shaft in place while your turning the nut with a crows foot.
Sometimes the stars align and you have enough bite in the rubber to do it without the allen wrench.
My .02c for the am.

New Bilsteins on the front; where is the Allen socket you are referring to ?
mepstein
Billsteins don't have an allen socket. I would spring for a $80-100 cordless impact wrench and some impact sockets. You will wonder why it took so long to add it to your toolbox.

My first one was a harbor freight corded one for $30. I still have it as a backup. I just used it last week to remove the big round fastener that holds the A arms to the front strut. Chugga chugga, done.

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 27 2018, 05:14 AM) *

Billsteins don't have an allen socket. I would spring for a $80-100 cordless impact wrench and some impact sockets. You will wonder why it took so long to add it to your toolbox.

My first one was a harbor freight corded one for $30. I still have it as a backup. I just used it last week to remove the big round fastener that holds the A arms to the front strut. Chugga chugga, done.

Thanks. I also have a HF IW; what cordless IW would be a good buy for someone with occasional usage ?
mepstein
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 27 2018, 08:47 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 27 2018, 05:14 AM) *

Thanks. I also have a HF IW; what cordless IW would be a good buy for someone with occasional usage ?

All the guys at the shop have $600 snap on or equivalent but I spent $100 on a HF 1/2" and $25 on sockets and I'm happy. It's so much easier and safer than leaning into a rusted bolt with all you might to break it loose, or even just removing lug nuts on wheels. I just picked up a smaller one and it will still break the lug nuts free. Handy tool to have sitting ready on the bench.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.