Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marc_hines
I'm continuing the interior restoration of my '75 teener (just have the new BlauPunt stero and speakers to go in, and a short-shifter kit).

Turns out the problem with hard shifting was that the clutch had been adjusted so tight it never really complete released. Now it shifts as expected (much less grinding of gears!).

I also have all the electircal working now.

However - I still have one item that has stumped me: The parking brakes.

Is it my imagination, or do they not work so good? I have adjusted them so that the drivers side will actally engage (mostly) and the drivers side doesn't engage no matter how tight I make the cable.

Is this situation familiar to anyone?

Thanks,

Marc...
Bleyseng
You must first adjust the venting clearance on the rear brakes pads. Use the manual to do this and use .006 to .008 clearance setting it with a feeler gauge.

Then adjust the ebrake cables to the right tightness, you might want to first back these off if you have been playing with them. Check to see if they are stuck or broken too.

Its all pretty simple but takes time to adjust and set everything right.

Geoff
tat2dphreak
I personally only adjusted 1 side... driver's side... like you described... but I also didn't want/need much parking brake... just enough to pass inspection... 1st gear was good enough for everything else

but the PB worked ok as it was... the venting and cable adjustment was all I did, but it did suck rocks to do that...
marc_hines
OK - that is the part I missed - adjusting the venting clearance on the rear breaks. I will back off the cable adjustments and do both wheels.

I wanted to paint the calipers red anyway - so I can pop the wheels off and take care of both items.

Thanks Muchly to all !!!!!!!

Marc...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.