Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Need camera purchase help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
Hey,

I am looking to upgrade the camera collection.

I am looking at the micro 4/3 format and found Olympus pen, Sony, and Panasonic.

Does anyone have any time with any of these?

I do still have an olympus pen F from back in the day and lots of large format stuff.

No plans for lots of action stuff, some videos and products etc..

thoughts?
crash914
anyone? anyone?
VaccaRabite
so you want a point and shoot that does video? SLRs would be out as they do not do video.

I tend to buy Canon. But most of them use the exact same chip and components these days.

However, the Panasonic GF1 and GF2 look to be fantastic little cameras. I find myself wanting a GF2. Just because, and knowing that I would still probably pull out my older Canon 350D SLR... But still... Its WAY nice.

Zach
windforfun
SLRs do video. Nikon. Can't remember the model number. Watch out for shutter lag.
campbellcj
Correct - many of the DSLR's do video now. Nikon has the D7000 which is getting really strong reviews but I haven't used one personally (I have other Nikons though); also Canon has the 7D in the same ballpark (these are >$1500 bodies).

The best answer for you depends on what you plan to do with it and what you prefer in handling, size, and budget in particular!

The new Panasonic GF2 that was just announced looks very appealing. I have the Olympus E-P2 (Pen) for my day-to-day/travel camera, and love it, but it's definitely a compromise in low-light and speed.
Drums66
>>>there was previous threads on this subject(with pointer's) idea.gif
do some searches....but then again technology changes daily!!
(I'm a big fan of panasonic products myself)
bye1.gif
stugray
Canon EOS not only does video, but HD-video.

OP didnt tell us his price range.

Canon EOS can be found under $1000 for the complete package.

Stu
Cap'n Krusty
One of the classes I recently took was taught by a photojournalist who uses Olympus gear. Not SLRs, but with interchangeable lenses. Smallish, convenient to use, with a substantial number of features that many consider necessary for serious work. There's also that Panasonic/Leica joint project, but there appear to be some serious "noise" issues and I wouldn't waste my time even looking at them. Canon makes some very nice high end cameras in the fixed lens category. I bought a Nikon Coolpix L100 for general use around the shop, and was surprised how little adjustability is has compared to my old Canon A720is. Guess I should have looked at one before I ordered it. Hard to believe it's from the same company that made my D90, or even the D50. Live and learn ......................

Do what I should have done .......... Read up on the products that interest you, and read all the reviews you can (keep in mind, at least for customer reviews, you need to toss the best and the worst, and concentrate on what people who don't have unrealistic expectations have to say). Might want to look at:

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/

When you've made your choice, buy it from a reputable source. I've used Cameta Camera, Samy's, and B&H, all of which worked out well for me.

The Cap'n
Rleog
Another good source of information is www.dpreview.com
VaccaRabite
Wow, SLRs do video now. I guess it has been a while since I researched what is out here since I got my 350D. With the miror up, how can you tell what you are shooting?

Zach
steveherman
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pana...onic_dmcfz8.asp

i have this camera.
i love it.
great for any personal use.
read the review.
also the larger the megapixel are really only better if you are printing larger format pics.
5mp picture is good for a 300dpi picture quality PRINT up to about 13 inches by 10 inches.
5mp picture is good for a 120dpi computer monitor up to 27 inches by 20 inches (about a 36 in monitor)
here is some samples... u will be amazed
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsa...mples/slideshow
the larger mp cameras are for the people who BELIEVE that larger is better.
for everyday personal use even a 3mp camera is just fine.

resolution is more important than larger mp.
2560pixels by 1920 pixels=about 5mp
steveherman
btw...
most of the panasonic lumix cameras are highly rated and have GREAT FEATURES.
some of the features are features usually found in HIGHER PRICED cameras.
MORE EXPENSIVE DOES NOT ALWAYS MEAN BETTER!!!
campbellcj
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 6 2010, 05:01 PM) *

Wow, SLRs do video now. I guess it has been a while since I researched what is out here since I got my 350D. With the miror up, how can you tell what you are shooting?

Zach

They use a "live view" mode with the LCD as a viewfinder, similar to what many of those cameras can do in still-image mode too. Contrast focusing is available but some of the cameras do not allow continuous autofocus in video mode.

DSLR video is a HUGE growing area right now. Commercials and TV shows are starting to be made with them, albeit with the same sorts of lighting, rigging and post-production they always used with bigger cameras. Not for the faint of heart or thin-walleted.
patssle
My 914 video (in signature) was shot with my Canon 7D. But the body is just half the cost...if you're going to spend a lot of money on a nice HDSLR, need a good lens too.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Nov 6 2010, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 6 2010, 05:01 PM) *

Zach

They use a "live view" mode with the LCD as a viewfinder, similar to what many of those cameras can do in still-image mode too. Contrast focusing is available but some of the cameras do not allow continuous autofocus in video mode.

DSLR video is a HUGE growing area right now. Commercials and TV shows are starting to be made with them, albeit with the same sorts of lighting, rigging and post-production they always used with bigger cameras. Not for the faint of heart or thin-walleted.

I bet. A friend of mine just bought a Canon 7D. $2K at least for the body alone. And now I am here looking at the 60D wondering if I really want to replace my old 350.... Gah!

Zach
PRS914-6
If you want a small high end point and shoot that does HD video look at the Canon S95. I have the Canon S90 and it takes stunning pictures. It has a wide angle lens and a 2.0 aperture which is rare on a point and shoot. I can't say enough positive about it. I use a Canon T2i DSLR that shoots HD video as well but it's a lot bigger and heavier.
crash914
Great ideas, thanks for the info. I really like the idea of pocket size, I don't want the bulk of a SLR, I also don't want to be stuck with the standard wide angle lense.

Almost all of my film stuff was shot with a short telephoto. So to get that I need interchangable lenses. I do really like the idea of no mirror and viewfinder..

I will look closer at the panasonic. The Sony feels cheap to me.
as to price, it depends. I have $$$$ tied up in stuff that just sits in a closet. Need gear that I can have with me..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.