Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Ignition key ASAP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Levi
Hi all,
This is a good news bad news post, The good new is I bought Two 914's at a towing company auction, the bad news is neither one has keys. I was wondering if I remove the rear trunk lock and get a key made for it if it will work in the ignition.
This of course is on the assumption they are both original locks.....or is there a better idea thats quick and easy,
lapuwali
A 25-amp toggle switch, a momentary pushbutton, and some wire... biggrin.gif
Levi
The problem is that the steering colume is locked, the front tires are turned and its on my trailer, I need the colume unlocked so I can unload the car
Levi
Here is a picture of both, the red one is a 73 1.7 and the orange car is a 74 2.0, the 74 seems to be in good condition, I haven't been able to find anything but surface rust so far, it looks like someone took care of it untill they quit driving it, the last tags are from 1996....I think the 73 will be a parts car...
SLITS
Unbolt the steering shaft at the rack or get a large screwdriver, insert into keylock and....................................,

A Locksmith is gonna prolly be expensive but can probably make a key.
Joe Bob
Hello AAA? Geez, I lost my keys and I need a locksmith....oh, have one come over and send us a bill? Cool....

Another vote for AAA.....
94teener
Levi,

You can order a new key based on the VIN from any Porsche dealer for about $45.00 and receive it in the mail in a few days. You will have to show proof of ownership.

Phil
GWN7
On the 72 that I parted out, I took the steering colum apart and was able to wiggle the locking pin free and turn the wheels to get it in my yard.
markb
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 21 2004, 03:11 PM)
Hello AAA? Geez, I lost my keys and I need a locksmith....oh, have one come over and send us a bill? Cool....

Another vote for AAA.....

agree.gif
rdracrdave
I seem to remember taking the door handle and lock assy off and taking it to a locksmith . he made a key in a few hours and charged the dealer $15.00, I think .
It would be worth a phone call.
Good luck
Dave
Levi
Well I think I'm just going to go for it, the worst thing that will happen is that I'll have a key for my trunk, I live 50 miles round trip from Spokane so I don't waste trips @ $2.00 a gallon, And I think getting a key made is cheaper then AAA membership.........

BTW, I got the car off the trailer...not by choice however, I had removed all the hold down straps earlier, so I had forgot that fact when I decided to move the trailer so I could pressure wash the car while it was still on the trailer, So I pulled forward about 15 feet shut my pickup off and jumped out of the cab just in time to see the car rolling off the back of the trailer I had to run and stop it before it ran into my shop wall....man what an exciting few seconds.....I was lucky, no serious damage to report blink.gif
seanery
Levi, I'm glad it worked out ok. That's one of those things that wouldabeenfunnyashelltosee!
Joe Bob
Silly young person....AAA is a must for 914 ownership. I continually run out of tows on MY card and use the wife's when I do. They pick up non running project cars ALL the time for me.

Also...at least in CA, they do DMV services....I would consider sleeping with Mussolini before I step foot in the State DMV office again.

WELL worth the price.
Levi
It was funny afterwards, but scary as hell for a few seconds, My Wife has AAA, I have friends and a cell phone... laugh.gif ...
partsman
"ou can order a new key based on the VIN from any Porsche dealer for about $45.00 and receive it in the mail in a few days. You will have to show proof of ownership. "
Sorry, actually you can't. Not for a 914 anyway..you have to have the original key code for the car. Porsche never kept track of the keys for the early cars (this goes for 911's as well) I think the earliest ones I have gotten for customers have been 928 era(really late 70s and on..)
I certainly can get them once we get a key code. I found mine when I replaced my ignition switch.

Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.