Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Excellence Article on 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Actually haven't seen it yet but heard there is a 5 page story about a guy who fixed up his 914. Has 2.3L motor with D-jet. etc, etc.

Is this anyones car we know?

dr
415PB
I have the May issue and I cant find it in there. Are we talking Porsche EXCELLENCE?
machina
My bad, its in the June issue, just came today.

dr
Aaron Cox
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

nuff said....
415PB
Shit, I just got the May issue two days ago, WTF. Guess I will have to go back and get the June issue.
Katmanken
June - got mine 2 days ago!

Guy did an interesting trick on the back of his rollbar. Removed the chrome trim and ground the spotwelded flanges off. Gives the car an interesting look and and it gets rid of those flimsy aluminum vertical trim pieces! smile.gif

His 2270 runs a modifed teener EFI with a Webcam 93 grind. Same manifold pipes, big Volvo TB, getsya 97.7hp at the rear wheels.

Also some head info on the Q&A section- rethreading the head for CHT, etc.

Ken
East coaster
Somebody post pics..........I was thinking of doing the same thing to my targa bar and I'd kill to see some pics of it done.

Seems like a great way to kill a weekend.....cut....grind....weld....grind more...repeat as necessary!
415PB
QUOTE(East coaster @ Apr 21 2004, 04:27 PM)
Somebody post pics..........I was thinking of doing the same thing to my targa bar and I'd kill to see some pics of it done.

Seems like a great way to kill a weekend.....cut....grind....weld....grind more...repeat as necessary!

Please someone post some pics........
jonwatts
Is this car red? The modified rollbar and volvo TB sound like a car that showed up to the SSI swapmeet a few years ago.
EdwardBlume
Good article. Its a red 75 restoration with all the favorite mods. Use your imagination. biggrin.gif
Gint
Lemme guess, the car is red right? Where are those pics?
Bleyseng
whoopie do, I have gotta 95hp at the rear wheels with my 2056.

Geoff
Jake Raby
That shows the efficiency of the two...

As long as its not running hot, I commend him for what he was able to do with it- But I'll bet that somewhere that sucker is lean.
JmuRiz
Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out on the newsstand when it comes out here. Wouldn't you think he would have made his own manifold runner pipes (bigger diameter) since he was working on stuff anyway? I always thought that was the restrictor on the stock FI intake. Correct me if I'm wrong. Makes you wonder what one of Jakes 2270's puts at the wheels running webbers....hmmmm idea.gif

Nathan
Levi
This car looks like its been modified in that area
Jake Raby
Almost all of them I have seen guys put on chassis dynos were making 125-135 ponies.. seemslike most of them going to cali make more. I have sent a few there that made as much as they did on my flywheel dyno. Our climate and elevation suck for power, even with correction factors... what is 185 ponies here, may be 200 there from what I have seen depending on the day and location.

The last engine that I dynoed then instyalled and chassis dynoed went from 151 ponies to 132 in the car. Not too bad... but even a worn tranny cost you on the rolling road, just like CVs and hanging brake calipers.
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(kwales @ Apr 21 2004, 03:50 PM)
June - got mine 2 days ago!

Ok, that makes NO sense at all!

Excellence is created out of Ross Ca, like 2-2.5hrs away from me.

I haven't rec'd my June issue, but Ken from CINCINNATI has? BS!!! mad.gif
thesey914
I reiterate, can some kindly person scan this for us overseas who will not get to buy this mag? pray.gif
Brad Roberts
If I recall which car this is... it is NOT a 2270. I think JW is correct. It is the car from my SSI swap meets. Tall guy. Runs AutoX sometimes with the car. Very clean ride.

B
Britain Smith
Alright, I haven't even read the article yet but I scanned it for all...
Britain Smith
Britain Smith
Britain Smith
Britain Smith
Britain Smith
Britain Smith
Brad Roberts
Yep. That is him. Resize those..

B
Brett W
Clean looking car. He did a great job on the looks and probably the suspension, Used a good combo. Too bad he used the stock Djet. If he ran Megasquirt he could tune it better. Who wants to stop the fun at 5500 rpm? What a waste. My 2056 made 118 at the wheels but I was about 10ft-lbs off that torque number. No way My torque looked like his though. Bet that sucker is fun to drive.
914werke
What about this vanagon Flywheel swap? huh.gif
Wht would the benifit be ..seems like youd want to REDUCE that recip. mass not increase it.
Howard
Britain, thanks for the scan. Good reading.
waterboy
I like Everything about that car, except for the front bumper mueba.gif
415PB
Thanks for the scan Britain.
type47
in the same issue is some bad news for the 914 fan. a while ago in the magazine (excellence) 10 people chose their 10 favorite p-cars. (people like alwin springer, bruce anderson, jerry seinfeld, sorry i don't remember others). anyway we were all happy that so many had 914s on their list. well, the 10 people (practically) now are choosing their 10 favorite racing p-cars. how many 914s made the concensus top 10........? that'd be zero, 0, zippo, zilch...... sad.gif

come on! how about the sunauto #40 Le Mans racer?????
seanery
the race car competition is extemely tough IMHO. Much tougher than the street car competition. Porsche made soooo many outstanding racing cars.

RSK series
GT1
GT3
RSR
RS 2.7

that's just off the top of my head, and doesn't include the can-am cars. they made some really bad racers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.