Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need help now!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I locked myself outta my 914 tonight. headbang.gif

Got a ride home, need to go back and get in.

I have the key with me. It locks the door, but won't open it. headbang.gif

It's the first time I've locked it! headbang.gif

Help me get in so I can stop headbang.gif and start MDB2.gif
rick 918-S
Use a coat hanger or a slim jim to unlatch the targa top.
Trekkor
Yes!
Keep 'em coming! clap56.gif

I'll get 20 mins or so of advice and then DO THIS sawzall-smiley.gif

I jus keedeen. biggrin.gif
ablose58
Slim jim is the ticket! smilie_pokal.gif Took me 30 seconds to open mine when I was dumb enough to lock mine in headbang.gif Good luck! AL
krk
Alrighty then.

1. AAA. They can open most things.

2. I didn't know about [1], so I had to try all, and I mean all, of the suggestions tossed my way.

So things that can sometimes work mostly depend on how shrunk/crappy the rubber seals are around your windows.

The game is to either roll down a window, or pull on an interior door latch.

If you can get a coat hanger in, you can try to release the rear targa seals. If you can get them loose, you can lift the lid an inch or so and get to the window crank or the door latch. (this did not work for me)

From one side of the car, you can run a long wire across to the other side and get to the latches. (this did not work for me)

With a heavier wire (used for hanging a second closet rod), bent appropriately, I was able to move the window crank down. There was a slight opening at the front of the drivers window, and I could work it in from there. Once you start the crank moving, you're on a roll.

kim.
Trekkor
Thanks all. I'm free again rocking nana.gif

Wish I had a slim-jim.
I used the coat hanger. Very tricky. I have patience like none I know wink.gif

Took about 35 minutes. mad.gif

So I can't lock my doors.
( not that there's anything wrong with that )
krk
Glad you got out of "jail"!

mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif

kim.
rick 918-S
Just curious... Did you roll down the window, hook the inside door latch, or release the targa latches? Nice to know what worked.
Rusty
Naaa.. after he used the coat hanger and got in, he put the targa on (because it was about to rain)... and drove home. lol2.gif laugh.gif lol2.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
maf914
I can't quite picture how you can release the targa latches using a wire, since you must pull down on these. Now if you have free access through the floor boards... laugh.gif

I am curious how others have "unlocked" their cars without keys.

Mike
Demick
I've had to 'break' into my 914 a number of times. Luckily, the 30 year old locks are well worn and can be pretty easily opened with any other key that is reasonably close to the same size. Just keep wiggling and jiggling while constantly putting pressure to try and turn the lock. Takes about 5 minutes.

On the other hand, I was once swapping cars with my wife. My 2 yr old son in the back seat in a carseat. Left the car running (1994 Saturn), got out, and by habit, hit the lock and closed the door. My wife was freaking out and went to call the fire department (baby locked in car). I got out my 914 keys which were in my pocket, and tried to jimmy the lock with them (same method as used on the 914). Had the door open in about 30 seconds.

No wonder car theft is so easy.

Demick
I'm thinking that using a coat hanger, bend the end into a circle, just a bit bigger than the window crank roller would be easiest.. then just run the coat hanger straight down and catch the loop around the window crank
Trekkor
Here's how it went down cool.gif

I used the coat hanger, vinyl coated, mind you. (green) biggrin.gif

I used some vise grips to make a tight hook at one end. I snuck the hook in between the window and targa trim at the rear most end first. I was able to pull the rear latches down one at a time by bending and twisting the wire until it popped down.

The fronts were way harder. I used the vise grips to keep the top between the roll bar wedged up so I could get the wire a far forward as possible. After I got the pivoting section of the latch around, I used the lug wrench handle I found in the trunk ( not locked ) to pry each latch down.

I felt like I had won a prize. boldblue.gif

Maybe tonight I will lock myself out again and see if I can break in faster headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.