Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another A/X tire pressure question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
naro914
So, it's been a zillion years since I've autocrossed with real autocross tires, and obviously technology has changed a bit (used to use the BFG R-1 back in early 90's until they stopped making them - went to G-Force, then built the car to full race using slicks)

We rebuilt our 914 (Huey) to use for street/AX after the wreck at Targa Newfoundland, and we've been just using our old street Continentals on it for the local autocrosses - mainly because we only had one set of wheels.

Just got another set of wheels, so I got a set of Hoosier A6's. Problem is, I have no idea what pressures these run at. The race car uses Goodyear slicks at 19 psi cold.

Car is about 2050 lbs without me - yes, it's heavy, but we drive it for more street/rally/weekends and has a full cage that added weight.

3.2 liter six cyl
Carrera suspension
Front Weltmeister sway
21 mm torsion bars (I think)
can't remember the springs, but I think 180lb

Again, it's not set up for A/X, and honestly the local A/X group is not exceptionally competitive like the West coasters are. I am about 1 sec off FTD with 5 year old Conti ContactSport 2's, so A6's should really help.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Bottom line: what tire pressures should I start with on Hoosier A6?
URY914
Start at 24 and work your way down.
PeeGreen 914
My car was right around your weight and I ran A6s at 26lbs. My tires were 225 15s on 15x 8s
naro914
thanks guys,
Hoosiers recommendation chart says to start 1-2 psi below the recommended hot pressure of 30-33 psi. Guess I should go a bit lower.

forgot to mention, 16 x 7 and 8's so 225/245 tires. I could actually go 8 & 9, they would fit, but I can't find any at a reasonable price. could use another pair of 16x8 at some point...
Joe Ricard
1950 pound with 200 HP I ran 30 PSI in my A6's and was attaining 1.5 Lateral sustained G's
-2 degrees camber f -2.5 R
sixaddict
OK BOB....Up the annie why don't ya !!! .I was waiting until Spring for the A6s .
Where did you find them....I am hoping it rains next weekend LOL!
TOT
P.S A6s or the like will kill that Turbo TTOD rein for sure.
naro914
Hey Terry,
Won't be at Carolinas ax, visiting Smoky Mtn Region. They're having an AX in a 14 acre lot this weekend !!

Btw, Sean and Carrie run A6 on the turbo...
sixaddict
OH yeah...thats why they are killing everyone ! Did you go used or new ...If new where ....Checked but my normal supplier was out ...Figured it was due to end of season...>Good luck though as that is a REAL AX course ! Actually current 10 day forecast says rain here.....I am hoping it is wrong since it is so far out . When Spring comes I will have new AX shoes as I know they work!
T
naro914
New. Bob Woodman Tires
sixaddict
Nice !

quote name='naro914' date='Nov 8 2010, 12:06 PM' post='1392191']
New. Bob Woodman Tires
[/quote]
naro914
yeah, I won 1/2 price Hoosier tires at the Club Race from Bob Woodman, so I figured I would use them for new A6's...I use Goodyear slicks on the race car.
naro914
and btw....who is annie? smile.gif
naro914
you doing the Carolinas autocross? they have a different lot at Knights stadium, much bigger than last time supposedly...
sixaddict
Good call...I guess the spelling genie left town ...fingers quicler than brain and thats not saying much...You got me..... LOL
So now I needn't ask you about how much ..Good use of the win !
naro914
OK, I have to say I LOVE A6's!!
Set them at 30 cold. They stuck like glue! I was second FTD after a 400+/- hp 911 RSR that weighed just slightly more than my 914, with full coilovers, and HUGE tires, and a driver that autocrosses all year long. This is only my third this year.... smile.gif

Next year is going to be really great. Now I just need to sort out the suspension....
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(naro914 @ Nov 18 2010, 01:30 PM) *

OK, I have to say I LOVE A6's!!
Set them at 30 cold. Next year is going to be really great. Now I just need to sort out the suspension....

Told ya !!!!! beer.gif

What sort of suspension issues do you want to resolve?
naro914
It's not so much I'm having issues, it's more i need to optimize what I have, and start looking to make it better. I have no idea what size torsion bars or springs I have. The shocks/struts are old and came off of whatever Carrera we used for the suspension long ago, so they are also probably not matched correctly.

Ultimately, I'd like to put Koni adjustables, and make sure the front torsion bars are balanced with the springs. NOt sure yet what the best set up is though...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.