Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Mercedes 300 SE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
markb
As the title says, I'm a party to a lein sale, and about to aquire ownership of a mid 60's Mercedes 300SE. It's a 6, with an airbag suspension, and an auto tranny. I got it running a couple months ago, got the rear airbags to pump up, and got it shifting. It's not in great shape, but what I would consider restorable. I know nothing about these, can somebody give me any info on them? It's going to be a turn around car, up for sale immediately, so the more I know, the more I can get for it.
neo914-6
try these forums:
www.mbworld.org
www.mercedesshop.com
www.mbnz.org

I believe that is a w126 body

Felix
kdfoust
Nah, W126 is from the 80s. What year? MB made some changes in '65 that make a difference. Find the chassis id numbers under the hood (by the radiator) or on the door frame. It'll be a number like W108.xxxx, or W111 or the like. If it is a W112 you've scored. Otherwise... sawzall-smiley.gif
markb
It's a 64. Vin # is 112.021-12-006421. I found it listed on one of the MB lists, by the guy I had to do the lein sale on. Looks like it's a spanish car. Hmmmm. I'll do some more checking around. I was hoping to get 3k for it, but from what I'm learning, that may be a tad low.
kdfoust
QUOTE(markb @ Apr 22 2004, 12:14 PM)
It's a 64. Vin # is 112.021-12-006421. I found it listed on one of the MB lists, by the guy I had to do the lein sale on. Looks like it's a spanish car. Hmmmm. I'll do some more checking around. I was hoping to get 3k for it, but from what I'm learning, that may be a tad low.

Can we talk? Email me: 72-914a@enthusiastcars.com

Anyone wanna buy a 914? smile.gif
markb
I took a ton of pics if anyone is interested, email me. Surface rust on the lid edges, interior needs restitching and front seat recovering, but overall very restorable.
Gint
I took a ton of pics if anyone is interested, email me. Surface rust on the lid edges, interior needs restitching and front seat recovering, but overall very restorable.

Whaa?!?!?!

Post 'em here! Come on Mark! I've been watchin this thread for 3 days waiting for pics.
DuckRyder
You know, we are a sick bunch, I think we all need professional help.

wacko.gif
markb
OK, you asked for it..... rolleyes.gif
markb
Oops, needs to be bigger unsure.gif
markb
That's better
markb
more
markb
extra wood trim for the dash. I don't think it's for this car, tho.
markb
oops, forgot pic sad.gif
markb
more
markb
motors pretty dirty
markb
more still
markb
m o r e
markb
almost done, extra bits & pieces
markb
last one wacko.gif

If someone is interested, I took about 90 pics, and would be happy to forward them. Anybody got ANY idea what I should ask for this thing?
anthony
Are those cars rare enough that someone will want to save that one? A 914/4 in that condition would certainly be headed for a sawall party.
kdfoust
These were the flagship of MB line in the 60s. MFI engines, aluminum blocks, air suspension, wood venier, leather... A better comparision in the Porsche paradigm might be whether you'd keep or chop an original unrestored four cam Carrera. Like the four cam Carrera many of these cars will have "interesting" ownership histories as well.

Like any exotic old car restoration costs are horrendous. Restoring the trim around the dash and window frames is a notorious example. AMG (the MB performance guys) in the fatherland will fix your wood for you if you send them a few $K and wait around 6-12 months.
vortrex
QUOTE(anthony @ Apr 23 2004, 05:35 PM)
A 914/4 in that condition would certainly be headed for a sawall party.

or it would sell on ebay for big $.
markb
I guess it's been a while since I posted on this, so I should update a bit. This car has been sitting in the driveway of a friend of a friend...etc, for the past 2 years. I've finally gotten tired of waiting for the co-owner of the car to do something, so I bought him out last week, so I could do something with it. Out of the blue, I had a fellow email me a few days ago, who wanted to look at the car. He was local & came out the next day. He poked & prodded & lifted mats & pounded on the floors, then pronounced the pans to be solid. It's rusted in front of and in back of the wheels, but otherwise is fine. He told me this is a fairly rare car, has a couple of unusual things about it, and needs to be restored, or at least put back on the road. Soooooo......time to look at getting it running. I've got to find a drivers' side valve for the air suspension before anything else. Anybody got one lying around they'd sell me? Anyway, here's what happened today.

I went out to the car today, and it took about 5 minutes of finding out how to get to the ignition switch from behind, the correct jiggleing of what wires, and a small screwdriver to hold the key in the run position, but the car fired up & ran nicely. I let it run for about 45 minutes, and while I was there a couple of 20-somethings drove by, slammed (literally) on the brakes & came & parked in the driveway. They were all over the car, asking all kinds of questions, and trying to get me to take a motorhome or boat or something in trade for it. They'd seen it there for the last 2 years, and wondered if it ran. Now they know. I gave them my business card, and told them $3500.00 cash, and they went on their merry way.
The back end pumped up nicely, so I should be able to get it on a flatbed this week, and out to the wrecking yard where I store my parts cars, so I can work on it a bit easier. Once I get the suspension valve, I'll see about getting it to the shop for a servicing, and get that old gas out of it. It's running rich because of 2-3 year old gas mixed with some stablizer & minimal new gas. Only time will tell what happens next. Stay tuned....
mihai914
If you're keeping the car, Mercedes has great support for parts for classic models. As for the wood, I heard only good things about Heritage Woodworks, the guy is really good, don't know about pricing though. Best of luck.
Katmanken
You are giving me flashbacks....... blink.gif

Dad had a 61 220s that we picked up new from the factory. Bright blue with that red interior...... Same grille, headlights, etc. biggrin.gif

Insides look very similar. Is the speedo the goofy slit with the ascending strip? That sucker probably made me an engineer. I spent hours in the back seat trying to figure out how the strip got taller and changed colors.

A bud in Florida had a '67 300 cabrolet and it was one of a dozen imported that year. They can be rare. I still remember him bitching about the cost of the airbag suspension parts in the 70's. His came with emergency inflatable bags that could be installed to raise the car for work. They were like little pillows.

Ken
Dead Air
300se

That could be a veeeery sweet thing you got there! beer.gif
markb
I'm actually pretty amazed at what good condition the thing is in. I went to open the sunroof, and it slid back pretty as you please. No real pressure involved. I'm reading a bunch on them, and they do seem to be pretty top of the line for their time. The thing is kinda growing on me. Geez, just what I need, another car. rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.