Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Where to get hollow tipped Torx T-25 screwdriver?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smontanaro
I wanted to transfer the Thule load bars from my Volvo to our new Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I had no idea how the bars were connected to the Volvo, so the last time I had it to the mechanic I had him remove them. Turns out they were hollow tipped Torx T-25 screws. I can't find such a screwdriver. I can get bits, but the nut drivers aren't long enough. Talking to the local hardware store guy, he said they are expressly designed this way - theft deterrent I guess.

I don't want to take the car to a mechanic every time I want to install or remove my load bars. Where can I find an actual hollow tipped Torx T-25 screwdriver with perhaps a 4-inch to 6-inch shaft? Local to me (Chicago area) would be fine, but online/mail order works too.

Thanks,

Skip Montanaro
brant
what if you take a drill bit and cut out that center nipple on the bolt?....

then it becomes a normal t25 bolt for future use?

brant
VaccaRabite
radio shack.
Any computer parts store.

Zach
Andyrew
I found a set of torx bits @ ace in the $5 bin about a year ago...
smontanaro
Thanks for the responses. I do have a hollow tip t-25 bit. I don't have a nut driver long enough for it, and if I add an extension it's then too wide to fit through the hole in the guard plate which protects access to the screw itself. Checked Radio Shack. All they have are bits, at least online. As for grinding out the pins, well, they are there for a reason. I'd prefer to keep the anti-theft capability intact, especially if/when my expensive bikes are bolted to the rack.

I'll keep searching.

S
carr914
I've got a Snap-On. Had it for 12-15 years - the best tool I ever bought thumb3d.gif

BTW, I wish my Thule rack had those (probably should convert mine) as with the little twist handles, it could be stolen in an instant.
904svo
I got a set of hollow tips from Home depot the were made by Husky.
jasons
FWIW, I think they are called "Safety Torx".
underthetire
QUOTE(jasons @ Nov 7 2010, 01:49 PM) *

FWIW, I think they are called "Safety Torx".

agree.gif
And harbor freight has tons of different styles of them.
Gint
Griot's Garage sells a complete set of Torx and other bits that include the security torx bits. Pretty pricey, but the one you need is in there.

I just stripped a bunch of drives form several different arrays a couple of weeks ago. One of the brands (didn't pay attention to which one) used those same bits. We have the them in the data center at work, but I'm not sure where the guys in Ops get them. I think you almost have to buy them in a set unless you go someplace like snap-on. One of my cowrokers has a handled driver in that size. I think that was a snap-on.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=...2289185d5cea093
ELLIOTT
in a pinch weld your bit then 1/4" rod extension then a hex bit. I've extended drill bits this way less the hex bit
Twise
Cornwell has a set of t handle safety Torx, t25 included.
VaccaRabite
Just about any electronic store will have the bits and nearly every length of driver imaginable to turn them with. Usually its just the bits that are hard to find. You can usually find longer hand held bit drivers at Lowes, Home Depot, harbor freight or True Value. The bits are the security part, not the driver length. I have an 8 inch driver in my car toolbox, and a six inch bit driver in my tool box at home. Both were sourced from regular hardware stores listed above.

Zach
pin31
McMaster Carr is your friend for LOTS of things.......

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

underthetire
Here
http://www.harborfreight.com/16-piece-star...-set-36562.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.