Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window to targa
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
Now that i am working on sound deadining, the car is getting very quiet, but i noticed the wind noise is even louder. I have new targa seals, door seals, squeegees fuzzys etc etc. The 3 part window seal, is now tight. (thanks Mikey914) it does still have a small drip however dry.gif

What i notice is the wind noise is comming from the back of the window on the verticle plane. It actually comes off the rubber at the top 1/8 of an inch almost. It is tight to the targa seal along the top confused24.gif

I also notice that the window does not roll up the last 1/8 inch unless you open the door and roll it up. I figured this was everybody eles too. confused24.gif

I searched but there is nothing with my symptoms. I am not sure if i should shave the back of the targa side seals with a razor blade to try and get the window tighter, or if it is actually a window adjustment.

The door is aligned all gaps are good and the door closes fine.

Any suggestions???
windforfun
My right window's fit is a bit weird. My car is a "73 1.7 with about 45K miles on it. I'd love to show it to you. Anyway, I don't think the door has ever been touched. The window goes up just a bit too much & the door sticks a little when the roof is on. The door is mounted just fine. I think I need to go into it & adjust the window from inside the door. FYI, for whatever it's worth. I wouldn't cut anything. Keep it stock!!!
IronHillRestorations
If the nylon rollers are bad then it's hard to get the windows properly adjusted, as there's slop in the window mechanism.

It is possible to adjust the seal. Note where the seal needs to contact the glass and how much you need to make it contact the glass, and take the seal out of the chrome channel.

If it just needs to come out at the top, then loosen all the small phillips screws except the bottom, and move the channel as needed and then tighten the screws and install the seal, and see what you've got. Sometimes it takes a few times to get it dead on the nuts.
Mikey914
If there is slop in the window, (worn out rollers) the glass will not push up enough to seat properly. There is not a lot of room here, so 1/8" will make a difference. That's one of the reasons I made the rollers, I needed them, figured others did too.
jsayre914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 7 2010, 09:49 PM) *

If there is slop in the window, (worn out rollers) the glass will not push up enough to seat properly. There is not a lot of room here, so 1/8" will make a difference. That's one of the reasons I made the rollers, I needed them, figured others did too.

What are we looking at here, the front of the targa with the 3 piece seal missing?

I will snap an exact pic of mine and compare. I assume this is what i am shooting for.? I guess i will be ordering the rollers to see if that helps beerchug.gif
underthetire
Mine is not perfect, but pretty close. I actually pushed my wing window in since that guides the window up. Oh, and make sure your windows are glued in the regulator, that was pissing me off till I found it. headbang.gif
Mikey914
You are correct it is the front passenger side with the main targa seal removed.
jsayre914
i snapped these on my lunch break
popcorn[1].gif
jsayre914
p.s.

how did i do with the 3 part seal cut and paste??
underthetire
Looks to me like it's just hanging up on the horizontal targa seal. And your targa looks like it's sitting too high in the front?
SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 8 2010, 02:02 PM) *

Looks to me like it's just hanging up on the horizontal targa seal. And your targa looks like it's sitting too high in the front?

agree.gif

Your top does not sit right in the front, can't tell in the rear from the pics.

There's lots of adjustment in the seal channels themselves ... But you have to take the seal out of the channel again to move them.
There's also plenty of adjustment in the door glass.

And no, that's NOT the way they came from the factory ... sunglasses.gif
jsayre914
Here are 2 more pics of the front driver side and passenger side. If you guys think the top is sitting high in the front then i probably assembled the seal incorrectly.

The story is, i bought a seal, and it had a flaw, so the vendor (very nice guy) sent me the pieces to make another one. FREE ! cheer.gif

Sooooo. ... I bought some super glue and used a pair of sheers to create this masterpiece you see in the pics.

However, i was unaware that it was not sitting correctly. It actually is 99.8 % leak free in the fron now.

popcorn[1].gif
jsayre914
pic 2 smile.gif
(i forgot to resize them rolleyes.gif )
Mikey914
Targa top is too high in the front. the roof actually sits on the lower seal. If you replaced it, it may not be setting all the way down. It actually has a bottom lip that comes back over the vinyl to hold the upper interior windshield vinyl in place.

Also the back presssure on the back fin may be causing it to lift up. If this is the case, you may just need to push the fin deeper in the channel. I suspect this may be the case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.