Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boge Shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dralf
Hello,
Got my parts for the suspension rebuild last night and I was anxious about seeing and playing with my new Boge air shocks. My 914 swooshed and swayed when it hit a bump or dip in the road so naturally shocks were the #1 suspect for this poor handling, I even played with the old Boge air shocks ( some previous owner apperently installed them some time in the past) and found the pistons to move in and out relatively easy. Sure seemed bad to me....
We getting back to my new shocks, heck they act the same way, no super resistance as I push the piston in or or out.

Am I misinterpeting the actions of these shocks ? <_< OR are the old ones just as good or bad compaired to the new ones ?

Naturally will install the new ones, but now I am getting a sinking feeling that after all this time and effort and MONEY the ride will be the same. I am replacing tie rod ends, ball joints and brake lines and calipers so at least I will feel safer driving down the street if I put everything together right.
mike_the_man
Hmmm, I don't think I've ever heard of Boge air shocks, but I know that most people don't recommend Boge for our cars. I think that Boges were what came from the factory, so there is room for improvement. I have Bilsteins on my car, and it rides pretty stiff, but it's not too bad. Most people on here really like the Koni adjustables. Thats what I'm hoping to get eventually.

Sorry I wasn't more help, butI'm sure somebody else that knows more about Boges will chime in.
Mark Henry
Most likely they have been in the box, lying on their side, for too long. Just stand them up and pump them up and down, you should feel the resistance grow.

Boge's are OK if you want a soft stock ride, KYB's suck and bilstiens/koni's are way better for handling.

I've never heard of Boge air shocks as well.
dralf
blink.gif
Sorry for calling these Boge shocks " air shocks" they are Gas Pressurized......I thought I recall in chemistry class they said air is a gas, heck with all the pollution that might have changed.

I can't wait to get off work now run home and try pumping those buggers and see what happens.

I chose these shocks for I had dreams of a smooooooth ride.
anthony
It sure doesn't sound like you have gas pressurized shocks. The piston on gas shocks should shoot all the way to the top of the stroke and at least on my Bilsteins was very difficult to compress by hand.
dralf
I got them from Pelican Parts, and I may give them a call tonight. I too thought that there should be much resistance when compressing them, perhaps I am stronger then I think. huh.gif
Joe Bob
Koni or Bills are the way to go....KYB and Boges aren't....
davep
Normal shocks should move smoothly and easily when pushed or pulled slowly. Resistance increases with the speed of action. Remember that shocks are supposed to dampen the action, it is the springs job to support the car flexibly. Gas pressurized shocks have a preload built in that must be overcome before the dampening action can be observed. If they are not at full extension normally, then there is no gas pressure and they are useless as a GP shock. The gas is normally nitrogen, usually 78% of the air we breathe is supposed to be nitrogen (except in SmogA).
KenH
If the original shocks were not leaking oil, they were probably OK.

If you "bounced" any corner of the car and it settled back as soon as you quite pushing on it - the shock at that corner is OK. If it continues a cycle or two the shock are probably bad.

BOGE shocks can be moved in & out, by hand, without a lot of resistance.

Body roll and sway is a function of the springs and Sway Bars.

Ken
Rusty
Boges aren't bad shocks... they just don't take best advantage of the mid-engine, low polar movement, well balanced characteristics of our cars.

I prefer Koni adjustables. They're not too hard on the wallet. If you need them, HPH or Jason at Paragon can provide them.

-Rusty smoke.gif
airsix
Well, air is a gas, but not all gas is air. (Air is a specific composition: ~78% Nitrogen, ~21% Oxygen, and traces of a bunch of other stuff). "Gas charged shocks" are filled with nitrogen. "Air shocks" are shocks that can be presurized with an outside compressed-air source to cause them to work like a spring (commonly used to adjust ride-height). You won't see air-shocks on a 914 - but you will see them on vehicles of a certain demographic: ie. El Caminos, Chevelles, Dodge Darts, Dodge Chargers, Ford Torinos, etc.

Back to 914 stuff... Boges, Konis, and KYBs are non-charged oil-filled shocks. Bilsteins are "gas-charged" or "Nitrogen filled" shocks (also oil-dampened like the others).

If your 914 rolls a lot and seems to "float" around through the turns I'm guessing you have stock ride-height, and no front swaybar. If you lower the front of the car (using the torsion-bar adjustment), get an allignment, and install a front sway-bar you will literally transform the car into a lean mean road-hugging machine.

My favorite car to drive is a 914.
My least favorite car to drive is a 914 with no swaybar.

-Ben M.
dralf
Ben M,
I think you may have a valid point regarding my front end riding high. Since I have removed all but the torsion bars, I had a chance to look around as I lay flat on my back under the car. I noticed that the torsion bar adjusting screws were all the way in ?? out ??? anyway they were in a position that I think lifts the car. I will check on car height after I get wheels back on the baby. I am also concern that my 165 Apex tires on VW Raveria ( spelling ) rims are part of my front end instability.

This repair job would be alot more fun if I had more time and a rich girlfriend.
airsix
QUOTE(dralf @ Apr 22 2004, 09:32 AM)
Ben M,
I think you may have a valid point regarding my front end riding high. Since I have removed all but the torsion bars, I had a chance to look around as I lay flat on my back under the car. I noticed that the torsion bar adjusting screws were all the way in ?? out ??? anyway they were in a position that I think lifts the car. I will check on car height after I get wheels back on the baby. I am also concern that my 165 Apex tires on VW Raveria ( spelling ) rims are part of my front end instability.

This repair job would be alot more fun if I had more time and a rich girlfriend.

And a swaybar? Do you have a swaybar? Now would be a good time to add one. I could never own a 914 without a swaybar - I'd go nuts. It's a MUST-HAVE in my book.

-Ben M.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Apr 22 2004, 10:32 AM)
Boges aren't bad shocks... they just don't take best advantage of the mid-engine, low polar movement, well balanced characteristics of our cars.

I prefer Koni adjustables. They're not too hard on the wallet. If you need them, HPH or Jason at Paragon can provide them.

-Rusty smoke.gif

I assume you mean the boges aren't too hard on the wallet... konis are in my book...

boges are areound 300 for all 4, konis are 600ish, bilsteins are 500ish...

I'm not saying that it's not well-spent money... but it IS money biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.