Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 2.0 Lost Power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NC_Colfax
My 914 ran great yesterday. The best it ever had in the time I owned her.

So it was a nice afternoon here in NC. I warmed the car up for about 5 min before I left the driveway. Car ran great for a few miles. I got to a stop sign and put the car in first. This time I got into the car a little, to the red line in first, then shifted to second and the car just flopped. I could not build rpms and the sound of the car changed. Shifted to third and more skinny pedal and the car came around but stayed the same at low rpms. So I made a turn and headed back to the house. Car did the same at the next stop sign. If you really gave it fuel it did get better but still not as the few miles before.

Got the car home and let it idle while I checked things out. Has a noticable exhaust "pop" at idle but still seemed to hold idle well. Has more engine noise than before I left. Still revs nice off idle in neutral.

Specs.....Euro Piston 2.0 , cam, 44mm IDF's,electric ignition(MSD and Dizzy)
Air Temp in the high 50's running 20w50 Amsoil 1/2 tank of fresh fuel

What do I check??
Engine problem??
Clutch problem??
dr914@autoatlanta.com
clogged idle jet?

QUOTE(NC_Colfax @ Nov 8 2010, 04:06 PM) *

So it was a nice afternoon here in NC. I warmed the car up for about 5 min before I left the driveway. Car ran great for a few miles. I got to a stop sign and put the car in first. This time I got into the car a little, to the red line in first, then shifted to second and the car just flopped. I could not build rpms and the sound of the car changed. Shifted to third and more skinny pedal and the car came around but stayed the same at low rpms. So I made a turn and headed back to the house. Car did the same at the next stop sign. If you really gave it fuel it did get better but still not as the few miles before.

Got the car home and let it idle while I checked things out. Has a noticable exhaust "pop" at idle but still seemed to hold idle well. Has more engine noise than before I left. Still revs nice off idle in neutral.

Specs.....Euro Piston 2.0 , cam, 44mm IDF's,electric ignition(MSD and Dizzy)
Air Temp in the high 50's running 20w50 Amsoil 1/2 tank of fresh fuel

What do I check??
Engine problem??
Clutch problem??

Kirmizi
Plugged fuel filter or idle jet(s)? idea.gif
Mike
Jake Raby
Any mechanical sounds when the engine "changed"? Rattling noises?
NC_Colfax
Yes
Almost like a knock on the passenger side of the engine
messix
smacked a valve?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(messix @ Nov 8 2010, 07:32 PM) *

smacked a valve?

Blake has worked for me long enough that we even think alike :-)

I was thinking more like a dropped valve, they normally happen in this exact manner.
NC_Colfax
Wow that stinks

Should I remove the valve cover and inspect??
Would that tell me what I need to know??
Jake Raby
That wuld probably tell the tale..
NC_Colfax
Everything seems OK this afternoon.
I did a quick inspec on the wiring,fuel filter, and oil.

Cranked the car to see if the sound was still there and it was back to normal. I idled the car for a little bit then took a slow run around the block. Car felt like it did before the trouble yesterday afternoon.

Must have been trash in a jet or other issue.
I am going to pull the valve covers Friday just to be sure.
I don't know if the sounds I heard were in my head or just a rough running type 4.

Thanks for everyone's input.
SirAndy
QUOTE(NC_Colfax @ Nov 8 2010, 03:06 PM) *

Funny that you mention that.

In my experience, engines always run noticeably better right before they let's go.
confused24.gif
NC_Colfax
I also had the same thought

People kinda do that too before the pass. I have seen people that are sick have good day then dead the next.
underthetire
Ya, my 914 ran perfect last week. Until friday. That was it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.