Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
d7n7master
Hi All,
Anybody recognize what muffler this is??? I need a replacement.
Thanks,
mike_the_man
I'm not sure what kind it is, but I'm pretty sure it's the same system I have, so I'm interested as to what kind it is too.
4WheelDrifter
I like how they made the pipes equal length. Want to sell it? cool_shades.gif
Gint
Go to your local muff shop (preferably not a chain type, but independant) and ask them to hook you up. The last time I did this I bought en empi bug muff and had the shop weld the old mounting flange on the new muff. The guy eyeballed the original and welded it on to the new one and it was oriented perfectly. The whole thing cost $40, parts and labor.
Gint
I thought about this for 5 minutes...

I would get a Flowmaster muff or other high flow equivalent and have the local shop weld the old flange and a new outlet on it. Bring the entire exhaust and they can rig it so it filts and the outlet is aligned properly.
Joe Bob
I agree with Ginty....

Mufflers are cheap and when you read the car mags you get used to the prices of the high end bling bling crap....stuff is cheap and the local muff guys know the biz....take it down and have them fab it up.
d7n7master
clap56.gif
That's not a bad idea ginter, the gintman, gintmeister, ginterola.... Thanks. I like the one outlet design. I'll give it a go and just paint it. The pipes look ok - Clean and paint..
Cheap fix
skline
That looks like the old Thunderbird style exhaust system. They were cheaply made and the mufflers didnt last very long. Any muffler shop should be able to fab up a flowmaster to it.
Joe Bob
Yeah...I was trying to remember the name of the company....T-Bird....I used to go to the factory and pick up there stuff down in the barrio of SmelLA....when I worked at a bug parts house....1976....geez.....
Demick
This is the same setup that I have. I had heard that it was made by S & S. My muffler rotted out (cheap muffler), but the equal length 4 to 1 collector was solid, so I welded up a 40 series Delta flow Flowmaster muffler with the appropriate flange and 90 degree elbow and bolted it on. Pretty loud. Not something you want to do if you are afraid of waking the neighbors when you leave in the morning.

Demick
Demick
I'm pretty sure this is it (but not 100% sure - there are no pictures):

S&S Headers

Scroll down to Porsche exhaust systems. P-92 is for a 2 Liter (it is incorrectly called a header). This would be for the collector portion only. Below that are the muffler portions.

I think Mueller bought one of these thinking it was going to be a header.

Demick
d7n7master
Hey!!! Whose f'in with my post??? You funny guy!!!
seanery
nobody is. type it again and reread immediately.
Mueller
yep, the 4 to 1 collector is from S&S, i bought one last year...the idiots call it a header, which to me (and others) it is not........

luckly they took it back, but he refused to change the wording or description.....

I like how they made the pipes equal length. Want to sell it?

when you get this far from the motor, I don't think equal length is going to be that big of a deal on a street car, you could buy a Burch (sp?) that comes with a muffler or get this S&S collector and add a muffler of your choice.

Real headers are better, but they too have thier drawbacks...
Dave Bell
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 22 2004, 06:19 AM)
Go to your local muff shop (preferably not a chain type, but independant) and ask them to hook you up. The last time I did this I bought en empi bug muff and had the shop weld the old mounting flange on the new muff. The guy eyeballed the original and welded it on to the new one and it was oriented perfectly. The whole thing cost $40, parts and labor.

I am with ginter, the gintman, gintmeister, ginterola... and Z... local hole in the wall muffler shop that did one of my cars was only about $40 for labor as well... when I had to put in a new cat to pass smog for the last time, I got even cheaper, picked up an aftermarket cat at the FLAPS that was exactly the same size as the cat the muffler shop had installed many years ago, dropped the exhaust, cut out the old cat with a sawzall, welded in the new one myself, and hooked the exahust back up.... even at that, the muffler shop guy probably would have done that second repair all with the exhaust still on the car again for $40 labor. I painted it all the piping nice high temp paint.

- Dave
Gint
Flowmasters also come in different series. Loud, louder, loudest.
DuckRyder
I just tossed on of those.

It wasn't nice.
d7n7master
My post did not contain "the gintman, gintmeister, ginterola. So... It seems to me that an administrater has definately F'd with my post. You can deny it, but ... I didn't have those words in my post so...? Go figure? I have a great sence of humor and that could have been funny - if I had consented to the "the gintman, gintmeister, ginterola additions that were added to my post. Why in the F would anybody dick with this BBS? If somebody can change what I have posted, who's to say what ELSE they feel like F'ing with? This so far, has proven to be a great site to share 914 info, experiences, and suggestions. Please, don't fuck it up.
TheCabinetmaker
try typing the "B" followed by rad.
DuckRyder
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Apr 22 2004, 08:41 PM)
My post did not contain "the gintman, gintmeister, ginterola. So... It seems to me that an administrater has definately F'd with my post. You can deny it, but ... I didn't have those words in my post so...? Go figure? I have a great sence of humor and that could have been funny - if I had consented to the "the gintman, gintmeister, ginterola additions that were added to my post. Why in the F would anybody dick with this BBS? If somebody can change what I have posted, who's to say what ELSE they feel like F'ing with? This so far, has proven to be a great site to share 914 info, experiences, and suggestions. Please, don't fuck it up.

I think someone has been playing with the profanity filter.

so it automatically changes "g i n t" to ginter, the gintman, gintmeister, ginterola.... and "B r a d" to Bradholio
d7n7master
OK, so... I don't get it. Why modify my post? What if ginter, the gintman, gintmeister, ginterola... takes exception to the gintmeister, gintthis, gintthat, or whatever? He's gonna think that I'm some kind of asshole stuck in the 80's. We need the administrators to keep this board running.
We don't need them to take creative license of our posts.
If they have a problem with profanity - fine - delete the profanity. But, leave my fucking post alone and do NOT add words - that's just smells wrong.
mightyohm
ginter, the gintman, gintmeister, ginterola...

Haha, that's funny as heck.

Try it out. Type the Gintmeisters name and click on post.
mightyohm
Oh yeah, back on topic. I kind of want to do the flowmaster weld in thing. I have a Bursch collector (I think) with some random muffler on it right now. What series do I want if I want something not too obnoxious?
TheCabinetmaker
Well, it's just the admins screwing with each other. No harm to us, and we get to laugh. I rolled on the floor when I typed in B.r.a.d, and it showed up as Bradholio
DuckRyder
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Apr 22 2004, 09:11 PM)
Oh yeah, back on topic. I kind of want to do the flowmaster weld in thing. I have a Bursch collector (I think) with some random muffler on it right now. What series do I want if I want something not too obnoxious?

Three chamber delta flow.

they come in various sizes. Personally I prefer the sounfd of DynoMax ultra flows, they don't drone as bad.
Tom Perso
A 40-series flowmaster on a 2270 (When it was in the Bug)

http://www.qtm.net/~persot/flowmaster_startup.WMV

And, a good launch show with the 40-series attached.

You could hear the car for a good 3 blocks. My kinda muffler... smile.gif

*Nevermind the exhaust leak*

http://www.qtm.net/~persot/launch_flowmaster.WMV

http://www.qtm.net/~persot/launch2_flowmaster.WMV

Imagine that in a 914.... I'll get some video soon with my new DV camcorder. It's a blast to drive!!!

Later,
Tom
4WheelDrifter
I noticed the Bradholio change as soon as I reread my 2dn post to this board with his name in it. I found it humorous more than anything. Relax dude. beerchug.gif
Demick
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Apr 22 2004, 05:11 PM)

If you can fit it, go for a 50 series. More mellow than the 40 series. but the 50 series is about 4 inches longer than the 40 series, and I couldn't fit it - so I went with the 40 series delta flow, which is a little less obnoxious than the original 40 series.

Demick
Brad Roberts
Admins.. cut the shit. It was funny for a day. Now you have people thinking we are jacking with their posts. Explain to them how it works and turn it off.
Aaron Cox
can you say ... Flowmaster Group buy????

i thought the muffler desired was out of a late model camaro? 2 in (1 or 2 out)
smilie_pokal.gif
jporsche914
I have the same exhaust. The person i bought it from said it was porsche aftermarket in 1972 when my car was made. i dont know if he is right .
Gint
Flowmaster web site
The 80 series is the Camaro/Firebird unit.
Gint
It was funny for a day. Now you have people thinking we are jacking with their posts. Explain to them how it works and turn it off.

That "bug" has been resolved.
mightyohm
As a replacement for the muffler shown in the first pic you want a simple 1 in 1 out, but it has to be small to clear the trunk/rear valence.
Brad Roberts
Thanks Gint. I didnt want to spend 30 minutes trying to figure out the word filter and explain to the thread starter what was going on.

B
Gint
I didn't fix it, I just checked to make certain that it had been taken care of. And I don't blame you, I don't either.
415PB
QUOTE(DuckRyder @ Apr 22 2004, 04:45 PM)
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Apr 22 2004, 08:41 PM)

I think someone has been playing with the profanity filter.

so it automatically changes "g i n t" to ginter, the gintman, gintmeister, ginterola.... and "B r a d" to Bradholio

I think it's funnier than shit laugh.gif
DuckRyder
You might find this helpful as well.

They offer a couple of small ovals, and rounds.

http://www.dynomax.com/ultrafloss.stm

http://www.dynomax.com/documents/ultrafloss_specs.pdf

Super turbos are a little quiter, and cheaper. They both sound better than flowmasters to me.

once you get the part number you can get pricing here:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?...searchtype=both

Obviously, chose Dynomax Performance and enter the part number.

HTH
d7n7master
Thanks everyone,
I'm cool with it now that I know what's up.
If I spring for powder coating the new muffler instead of painting, would it be worth it???
beer.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(d7n7master @ Apr 23 2004, 09:15 AM)
Thanks everyone,
I'm cool with it now that I know what's up.
If I spring for powder coating the new muffler instead of painting, would it be worth it???
beer.gif

spring for a stainless! biggrin.gif

powdercoat on a new muffler is much better than paint IMHO
DuckRyder
I wouldn't powder coat it. (I don't think Powder coat will take the heat anyway)

Do a ceramic or HTC coating.

I like:

http://www.jet-hot.com/

Be warned, cheap is not in their dictionary.
DuckRyder
Oh yeah, there is this one as well.

IPB Image

from

http://www.mittelmotor.de
Gint
I haven't tried powdercoating a muffler yet. Although it takes at least 300 degrees to cure powdercoat, I'm not certain how well it would hold up on a muffler. If you do it, let us know how it works out would ya? I've been considering ceramic coating my muffler when the car goes back together.
Aaron Cox
hey guys...
this is the flowmaster with dual in's and dual outs (they dont have a cross flow w, dual ins, single outs wink.gif )

im wondering if it will fit. says 24" long, can this be made to work?
at 146.00 i might be willing to try and have one made up for my 2.0...

whatchall tyhink?

Flowmaster 80 seires Dual in/out crossflow

PDF about muffler specs
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(acox914 @ Apr 23 2004, 02:45 PM)
hey guys...
this is the flowmaster with dual in's and dual outs (they dont have a cross flow w, dual ins, single outs  ;) )

im wondering if it will fit. says 24" long, can this be made to work?
at 146.00 i might be willing to try and have one made up for my 2.0...

whatchall tyhink?

Flowmaster 80 seires Dual in/out crossflow

PDF about muffler specs

I don't know, but that looks SWEET!! clap56.gif idea.gif

good find dude! rocking nana.gif

it almost looks too big though...
Demick
I've looked at doing this. It is really too long if you plan on using heat exchangers. Go and measure on your car the distance between the flanges on your heat exchangers and then try and figure out how to fit the muffler between them leaving room for the 90 degree bends to enter the muffler. It just doesn't fit unless you can come up with a way to bring the exhaust out 90 degrees in the opposite direction, and then back 180 degrees toward the muffler.

I think it really only works if you plan on making a custom header for the car with the 2 in 2 out muffler in mind.

Demick
Aaron Cox
here... couldve sworn brad did this and posted a pic.
Demick
Here's what I came up with a couple years ago for the 2 in 2 out. It is based on late model J tubes connected backward to the heads, and then custom exhaust tubing from there back. No heat exchangers. Note how the exhaust tubes jog outward a few inches on each side to provide enough room for the muffler to fit in between them.

Demick
Aaron Cox
wow.... nice drawing.... ill have to edit it to see if it could be done w/ h.e.'s
Aaron Cox
the case is only 18" long, could you cut all but 1 cm off of the inlets, and add 90degree bends and i think youd be really close, and tilt the muffler forward and i think you could get enuff space and bend in there.....

im sure it can....

found the muffler forsale at a rock bottom 96.00 from summit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.