Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tundra Fire Extinguisher
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
I picked up a Tundra Fire Extinguisher at Home Depot for $12.99. It' small and claims to have 3X the fire fighting spray time as an ordinary extinguisher.

Google has a lot of sales info but not a lot of reviews. The spec sheet doesn't show an A/B/C rating because it's 'not a traditional' extinguisher.

Then I found a Fox news report from the Dallas Fire Department, showing them putting out a gasoline fire. The fireman said the usage distance was closer and on a large fire that's a problem. Otherwise, he gave it a "Deal" and not a dud. Instructions say 3-4 feet usage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JV-R1H0E_w...feature=related

Has anyone used one or familiar with this one? I think if the fire is still in the engine compartment, then it's probably a good thing, but if the back 1/2 of the car is on fire, then....so what? It's a fire department issue then.

What Say You??
Mikey914
I bought one for my 951 now that it's fixed. I figured better than nothing, and a convienient size.
realred914
No ABC rating so you dont know its capaicty. thats not good. you always want to have the highest capacity wextingusher you can fit in the car, an extingusher that runs out of stuff before the fire is out is a waste. I have fought car fires (and other types) and have too many close calls with extingushers running out as the last flames died. one time the extingusher was not enough. sure this is better than nothing, but why not get a bigger one with a rating you can trust so you know how big a fire you can put out.

you dont want a toy extingusher when the flames start up. so use caution with these little ones. they may not be enough.
bandjoey
Not defending this one, just reporting what was reported..Hoping someone here has some experience with this brand.

According to literature, it has 3x the spray capacity of a normal extinguisher, and in the video, the fireman was using it on a gasoline fire.

Some old posts here are from people working for fire protection companies (posts on adding a suppressant system to a 914).
Eric_Shea
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say... "it's 2000x better than not having anything" Either that or, call your insurance agent and see what $13 bucks of extra insurance will buy you. wink.gif
flipb
From the video, it looks like you really have to spray it directly on every part of the fire - that is, it doesn't foam or blanket an area the way a more traditional extinguisher does. That makes me nervous - I don't think you'd be able to hit every spot in the engine compartment directly due to obstacles and odd shapes.

Still, I keep a small extinguisher behind the passenger seat in my 914. There's enough room to stick one of these back there too - can't hurt to have more ammo in case you ever need it.
VaccaRabite
I might carry one in addition to the extinguisher that I already carry, but I would not make one my only fire defense.

Zach
underthetire
Ahh, the Cold Fire. Stuff actually works pretty well.
http://www.firefreeze.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.