Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shift coupler bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
I've seen the shift coupler bushings with round and some with oval holes. Which would be better for a 75?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...atchlink:top:en
Mikey914
Call GPR they have them all and can stear you in the right direction.
pcar916
round ones are for 914's, the oval ones are for 911's.
markb
QUOTE(partwerks @ Nov 8 2010, 09:38 PM) *

I've seen the shift coupler bushings with round and some with oval holes. Which would be better for a 75?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...atchlink:top:en

That's one of our Ebay ads....
partwerks
That being the case, I'll go with round.

This was the answer I got from GPR:
Lots of questions about this lately, not sure why, but here it goes. It is my understanding that the original bushings that came on the car had a bit of an elongated, oval, hole in them for the pin to ride in. No one has been able to tell me why this was. I assume that it was to allow for a small amount of play in the system. That said, we all know the cars shift like a row boat and we are all trying to tighten them up so they shift "better". I believe the person who first made the aftermarket PG ones did not know that the originals had the oval hole. I certainly have never been able to tell on an old original coupler that the holes were oval. This is mostly due to the deterioration of the old bushings. I was also told by a former employee of GPR that Dave had the oval ones made up for the "European" buyers because they were a bit more "anal" about these things. I also showed them to an old time Porsche mechanic not long ago and he commented that they looked like the originals but still bought the ones with the round hole in them because they had worked for him for years and he was not going to mess with a good thing. So, the choice is yours. I have both available right now but must say that when the oval hole ones are gone I am not ordering more because I really do not get much call for them. Let me know if you want a set.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.