Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7l found on road dead
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
Bruce broke down car was driving fine, then just died. RPMs went to zero. Will not start but will turn over fine. Any help would be great. ASAP

Thanks
Amy McLaughlin
type47
Broken wire? Disconnected wire? Sudden failure like this makes me think something became disconnected...
SUNAB914
Did you mean FORD?
anderssj
COuld be a variety of things, but when my 72 1.7 did this it was the FI fuse on the relay panel in the engine compartment. A quick check is to turn on the heater blower motor (same fuse)--if the blower doesn't work, there's no fuel pump either.

underthetire
QUOTE(anderssj @ Nov 10 2010, 02:00 PM) *

COuld be a variety of things, but when my 72 1.7 did this it was the FI fuse on the relay panel in the engine compartment. A quick check is to turn on the heater blower motor (same fuse)--if the blower doesn't work, there's no fuel pump either.

agree.gif
djm914-6
I got there too late. Just as we were digging into it, hit tow truck came. I was originally thinking fuel, but noe I'm thinking spark. The fuse was fine and the car turns over fine but it doesn't fire. When Bruce gets back from his trip we'll dig into it.
swl
fuel pump is the first culprit I would suspect too. turn the key on (not start) - do you hear the 2 second buzz?
djm914-6
yes, there is a fuel pump sound.
ArtechnikA
wire from points to coil...
messix
DOH!
Rand
Same thing happened to me at WCR06. Center wire on distributor cap came loose. It was nice to find a 10 second fix. (Hi Jeff bye1.gif )
Drums66
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Nov 10 2010, 02:49 PM) *

wire from points to coil...

Yes.....something like this....things vibrate loose on these cars idea.gif
(hope it is something simple) bye1.gif
SLITS
Main power lead to coil .... connector breaks .... just from experience ya know.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 10 2010, 04:12 PM) *

Main power lead to coil .... connector breaks .... just from experience ya know.

agree.gif
pktzygt
Condenser bracket loose and therefore condenser loses its ground. Happened to me on my way to the DMV the first time I drove my 914. I fixed it, but barely made it to the DMV and got their sink all grimy.
Series9
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Nov 10 2010, 04:07 PM) *

RPMs went to zero.

This says points to me.
r_towle
If you are stuck and need the car fixed, I can come by tomorrow and get it running for you. I will bring all the spares I have...it will run.
Happy to help.

Let me know.
PM me so I get an email on my phone...

RIch Towle
Rand
Rand
djm914-6
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 10 2010, 11:09 PM) *

If you are stuck and need the car fixed, I can come by tomorrow and get it running for you. I will bring all the spares I have...it will run.
Happy to help.

Let me know.
PM me so I get an email on my phone...

RIch Towle

Thanks Rich but Bruce is on a plane today and won't be back for several days.

I agree that something must have came loose. Just as the tow truck arrived I was asking him about the distibutor. I think it has to be electrical too. At first he and I were thinking fuel but that would have made the car buck a bit before shitting down and not just die. Thanks for all the help we'll dig into this when he gets back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.