Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats it Worth? Race Car Roller
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jamesjedi
I have come across this race car that is a roller. I have not seen it in person, but may go to see it soon. He is asking $8500. What are your thoughts? What do you think it is worth?
Brett W
Depending on a couple of things I don't really see anything worth 8500. not sure what it has for shocks and swaybars, but the brakes are nothing special and the cage is nothing special either, so i probably wouldn't pay more than about $5K. The oil cooler exit in the front, makes it illegal for SCCA production. Can't run it in the HSR 2.0 Challenge class either with out body work changes.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Brett W @ Nov 11 2010, 08:38 AM) *

Depending on a couple of things I don't really see anything worth 8500.

agree.gif
I'd consider offering about half the asking price.
J P Stein
That is an SCCA specific front end. The hole is in the airdam & not the bumper....legal.
That said, half the asking price would be a good deal.
bam914
The oil cooler exit out the hood is not legal for Prod or GT.
ChrisFoley
A bunch of stuff isn't SCCA Prod legal as is: Rear trunk floor, rear spoiler, holes in the rear panel, hole in the front deck lid.
It would fit right in at a PCA club race though, as indicated by the 5R and the decal above that.
jamesjedi
I have emailed the person that owns the car. Would you suggest that he see this thread, or would that be bad form/rude?
SirAndy
QUOTE(jamesjedi @ Nov 11 2010, 11:49 AM) *

I have emailed the person that owns the car. Would you suggest that he see this thread, or would that be bad form/rude?

I don't think that would be rude ...

The only thing i can see that stands out is the front coil-over setup. I'd like to see some closeup pics of that.

Everything else is pretty standard. The car looks to be in decent shape overall. driving.gif
GaroldShaffer
My question to you is what do you want a race car for? By that I mean what are your plans? SCCA, NASA, PCA, just for track days, Axing?????

I bought an old Fprod SCCA roller a few years ago for $4500. had everything you needed, even a motor that was DOA. My plan was track days and AXing so I wasn't to concerned about what class it would fit.

So once you know what your plans are then you need to make sure this car (or any other) will fit that need or can be made to fit that need.
jamesjedi
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Nov 11 2010, 12:56 PM) *

My question to you is what do you want a race car for? By that I mean what are your plans? SCCA, NASA, PCA, just for track days, Axing?????

I bought an old Fprod SCCA roller a few years ago for $4500. had everything you needed, even a motor that was DOA. My plan was track days and AXing so I wasn't to concerned about what class it would fit.

So once you know what your plans are then you need to make sure this car (or any other) will fit that need or can be made to fit that need.

I am the same as you, I just want to have a competitive (winning!) autoX car that I will drive to the track, or anywhere for that matter. Racing is not in the budget, but not ruled out for the future.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jamesjedi @ Nov 11 2010, 01:10 PM) *
I just want to have a competitive (winning!) autoX car that I will drive to the track

In that case, you're way off with the car above ... popcorn[1].gif
RJMII
I just want to have a competitive (winning!) autoX car that I will drive to the track, or anywhere for that matter.

The one pictures isn't quite street legal (headlights?) and would need trailered to the track or modified to be street legal.

EDIT: Looks like Andy replied while I was getting my kids to stop fighting over my 914 Matchbox cars.
jamesjedi
I am not worried about head lights etc. I will be doing all that myself. It looks to be perfect.
RFoulds
I think I have seen the car for sale before. Ask owner when he got it and for what.

If you want a competitive AX car, and street legal, start with a street legal car. Many, many to choose from. This is NOT an AX car and you would be putting way too much into it to make it street legal.
that money would be better spent making a street legal car into a competitive AX car.

Carefully spec out what class you want to run, how many points your mods will cost, and build the car accordingly.

I had an awesome 914 for AX. and very street legal fun car. Stock engine, headers, 180 springs, comp struts, adjustable sway bar, harness bar, fibreglass seat, stripped of excess weight,and fat kumho AX tires.
lots of fun!
sixaddict
agree.gif

He hit it dead on !

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Nov 11 2010, 03:49 PM) *

I think I have seen the car for sale before. Ask owner when he got it and for what.

If you want a competitive AX car, and street legal, start with a street legal car. Many, many to choose from. This is NOT an AX car and you would be putting way too much into it to make it street legal.
that money would be better spent making a street legal car into a competitive AX car.

Carefully spec out what class you want to run, how many points your mods will cost, and build the car accordingly.

I had an awesome 914 for AX. and very street legal fun car. Stock engine, headers, 180 springs, comp struts, adjustable sway bar, harness bar, fibreglass seat, stripped of excess weight,and fat kumho AX tires.
lots of fun!

Mike Bellis
I like it! piratenanner.gif I would put lights on it. Make it street legal. Race it up Pikes Peak and in the Silver State Classic. I would then continue to drive the shit out of it! driving.gif aktion035.gif I do think I would weld in a trunk so I have a place to store the top. beer.gif But I would not pay $8500 for it. reduce by 50% then maybe...
Derek Seymour
Think budget...

Buy a sorted tub for $4500+ (depending upon the seller) and then sink another $3500 in an engine... instant track car, but not street legal.

Or

Purchase a solid stock/upgraded vehicle for $8000+ that has more long term value and add go fast parts as need be... street worthy car but long way and $$$ off from a "winning" track/ax car.
GaroldShaffer

I am the same as you, I just want to have a competitive (winning!) autoX car that I will drive to the track, or anywhere for that matter. Racing is not in the budget, but not ruled out for the future.

Well then you will need TWO 914s smile.gif

I sold the Racecar this spring. While its was awsome fast and great fun I couldn't drive it on the street. I only AX it 10 times a year, hardly worth it to me to have and maintain. So I went back to my 70 914 since I can do both with it.

As others have said it has everything I need. It has gone thru some changes over the past 8 yrs. When I bought it the PO had a 73 2.0L with euro pistions in the car with stock front & rear sway bars and adjustable koni shocks. Here is my short list of mods I have done to it since then:

Replaced front sway bar with 19mm bar
Removed rear sway bar
adjustable rear coil overs with 160Lb springs
tuna can sump pickup
lowered & corner balanced
bump steer kit
oil temp & pressure guages on A pillar
Lemans GTS seats
harness bar & 5 point belts for each seat
Minilite rims with 205x50x15 Kuhmo V710 sticky tires

While I am not the fastest, I think I do well. I know the car can do more with a better driver than me (have seen it done already) I run in SCCA DSP class and usually beat the SRT4 I race against and keep close(under 1 sec) to the WRX guys running in STX the 911 running is BSP. I think that says a lot for a little 110hp 70's car.

While the best thing that YOU can do to be a award winning AXer is seat time! The more the better. Watch, listen, learn from the top drivers where you AX. Once you get to know your car then start making changes to it if you wish, but only one change at a time.

That's my 2 cents first.gif

PS My 914 (aka MYGOKRT) in action
Click to view attachment
jamesjedi
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Nov 13 2010, 07:51 AM) *

I sold the Racecar this spring. While its was awsome fast and great fun I couldn't drive it on the street. I only AX it 10 times a year, hardly worth it to me to have and maintain. So I went back to my 70 914 since I can do both with it.

As others have said it has everything I need. It has gone thru some changes over the past 8 yrs. When I bought it the PO had a 73 2.0L with euro pistions in the car with stock front & rear sway bars and adjustable koni shocks. Here is my short list of mods I have done to it since then:

Replaced front sway bar with 19mm bar
Removed rear sway bar
adjustable rear coil overs with 160Lb springs
tuna can sump pickup
lowered & corner balanced
bump steer kit
oil temp & pressure guages on A pillar
Lemans GTS seats
harness bar & 5 point belts for each seat
Minilite rims with 205x50x15 Kuhmo V710 sticky tires

While I am not the fastest, I think I do well. I know the car can do more with a better driver than me (have seen it done already) I run in SCCA DSP class and usually beat the SRT4 I race against and keep close(under 1 sec) to the WRX guys running in STX the 911 running is BSP. I think that says a lot for a little 110hp 70's car.

While the best thing that YOU can do to be a award winning AXer is seat time! The more the better. Watch, listen, learn from the top drivers where you AX. Once you get to know your car then start making changes to it if you wish, but only one change at a time.

That's my 2 cents first.gif

PS My 914 (aka MYGOKRT) in action
Click to view attachment

I agree about the needing two cars. When a performance/track car is driven on the street there in a comprimise. Comprimises have to be made in terms of suspesion and tires etc. My track car at the moment is a 944 with a very severe ride. Tires are toyo R888, which are not the greatest if it is raining. There are times when I drive the track car and say wow this in not comfortable, but that is the comprimse.

I have not heard back from the 914 owner. I think I gave him reference to this thread. I hope he is not offended. As for me, I will wait until the correct one comes along. I will wait.

Thanks to all all who have provided insite into this car and its pricing. Also for pointing out that it is an extreme street car. I do need to look at PCA and SCCA rules more closely as I do need to participate in a race at some point.

Thanks to all. This is a great site.
r_towle
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Nov 13 2010, 10:51 AM) *

I disagree, you actually need three or possibly four cars.
You will understand that as you go along.

seriously, for 8500 dollars in this market....get a DONE 2.0 liter street car that is already setup for autox...there are many to choose from.

rich
McMark
Sounds a bit like you're getting started in racing. The absolute best, #1, top performance part you can put in the car is a good driver. Buy a nice running car and just drive it. You'll learn more trying to push your 'slow' car to go faster than you will by throwing $ into the car.

Seat time, seat time, seat time.
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 13 2010, 11:22 PM) *

Sounds a bit like you're getting started in racing. The absolute best, #1, top performance part you can put in the car is a good driver. Buy a nice running car and just drive it. You'll learn more trying to push your 'slow' car to go faster than you will by throwing $ into the car.

agree.gif

Ask me how I know .....
Click to view attachment

carr914
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 14 2010, 01:22 AM) *

agree.gif

For our PCA Region DE's, I teach the classroom sessions for the Green & Blue groups. One of the things I stress is that so many people spend tons of $$$ to make their car go faster, but don't spend a Dime on their Brain - then I put a plug in for my employer, Skip Barber Racing evilgrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.