Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rebuilt transmission shifting issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I'm having transmission shifting issues with the box that I rebuilt (I rebuilt this at one of Dr. Evil's clinics so I know it's good) .

The main issue is that the fore and aft movement feels like molasses. The transmission has been in for a week or two and initially the shifting was smooth.

I'm guessing the issue is the shift console at the transmission but I would like the groups opinion.

Is there anywhere along the shift rod that needs greased?
Dr Evil
If it is bad now and was recently good, look externally. Especially if it is all fore and aft movement. You may be impinging on something under the car, or a bushing may be screwed up.
Cap'n Krusty
Like the shift rod is the only thing keeping the engine from falling on the ground?

The Cap'n
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 11 2010, 07:55 PM) *

Like the shift rod is the only thing keeping the engine from falling on the ground?

The Cap'n

Translation: Check your engine and tranny mounts. While you are at it check all the shift bushings.
echocanyons
I had the good fortune shades.gif of changing my engine mounts when I switched the transmission. For reference on my car which is a sideshifter, the rubber engine mounts were completely sheared from the top bolts and the whole of the engine was not connected in any way to the engine bar other than by gravity.
With this situation there was still no way for the engine to rest on the shift bar and the shifting was very light and smooth except for a crunching sound when prior to 1-2 gear engagement huh.gif.

The trans mounts were in fine shape.

The bushings looked good upon inspection before the install, but I will check them again and report back.
Dr Evil
The easiest way to localize your issue is to remove the cone screw at the fire wall and then pull the external shifter coupler off of the internal rod. Move the stick around and see if you feel resistance. You can remove the cone screw at the tranz as well and then try hand shifting it at the box. Before that, bit the bushings at the side shifter and fire wall with some penetrating oil or WD40 and see if there is any change.
echocanyons
I think I found the culprit. The firewall bushing had partially exploded and was trying to move with the shift bar.

I don't think that that is secondary to another issue, just weird timing.

Drums66
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Nov 13 2010, 11:13 AM) *

I think I found the culprit. The firewall bushing had partially exploded and was trying to move with the shift bar.

I don't think that that is secondary to another issue, just weird timing.

...Crunched bushing??(in my thoughts) idea.gif
shades.gif bye1.gif Glad you found it!(I always lube them,for slippage)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.