Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: External oil cooler components
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
I have reviewed the PP tech article and looked up the components. A few questions still need answers. Since you are placing a remote spin on oil filter, can you not use a larger capacity filter? Is there an advantage to the use of two filters, either in series or parallel? What is the optimal temperature for the oil thermostat to open flow to the oil cooler, 170° or 180°? MG makes a thermostat which flows at 170° at a lower price.
Images of the remote filter mount shows four fittings. However, for a flow through system, only two would be required. Are the other fittings for selection for linear left to right oil flow or the alternative of left to left flow? Since the fan is wired to produce air flow in a pull fashion (air flow through the cooler and then into the fan), do you not need to place spacers between mounting surface (rear trunk floor) and cooler? If so, what is the appropriate amount of space? The electrical thermostat is mounted via a T prior to the filter. Can this thermostat also provide an oil temp reading?
The use of NPT, JIC fittings are very neat. However, is there a problem with also using solid brass pip sittings where capable? Since the exposure of these lines are relatively protected, what is the down side of using non steel braided but re-enforced rubber lines? What is the down side of the use of barbed fittings with hose calmps? Can the entire system use 1/2" lines/connectors?
Thanks,
L. McChesney
Dave_Darling
See my post on the Bird board. I don't wanna type it in all over again....

--DD
lmcchesney
Would it be helpful to include shut off valves at the engine output side to contain the oil in the external cooler when removing the engine?
The tech article describes mounting the remote filter mount and the oil thermostat to the sheet metal behing cylinder three. Would it not work to attach the filter mount and thermostat to the under surface of the trunk behind the engine weatherstripping and forward of the cooler?user posted image
Someone in a post a few years ago spoke of pulmbing the oil cooler with _10 on the inflow side and _8 on the outflow side. The statement was because of the restriction at the outflow side of the cooler, there was delay of the oil in the cooler producing a significant cooling effect. Is this theory/standard still used? If the cooler is an _8An cooler, would you go to a _6 outflow?
Thanks,
L. McChesney
lmcchesney
Bump
Brad Roberts
I have a few years of experience here.

You are wasting your time even thinking about mounting a cooler under the car. I have NEVER seen one work correctly. All of the heat gets trapped under the car not too mention all the heat from the exhaust. A fan setup doesnt even work. Also: dont mount it on the engine lid. Another waste of time. If you want to add an oil cooler put it up front with proper ducting. It works every time. I counted 6 cars between this year and last year that came into the shop after another local shop had installed coolers for their cars in every place but the right place. You have to flow air over a heat exchanger. A fan wont do it on its own.

can you not use a larger capacity filter?

Yes.

Is there an advantage to the use of two filters, either in series or parallel?

Yes

What is the optimal temperature for the oil thermostat to open

180. Any cooler and the oil pressure is normally high.

Please show me a link to the PP oil cooler setup so I can slam it in public.

B
lmcchesney
Thanks Brad. Despite others thoughts, I do appreciate years of experience.
It should not be that much of a problem. The fiberglass rockers are not riveted down as yet. I too was concerened with the quanity of head in the engine compartment. If it is enough to cause vapor lock 2-3 feet away, it probably would not provide enough temp differential. So, plumb to the front like the -6 GT style? Run _10 to the front? Cooler size 11 x 8.5 adaquate? Even up front, would it be helpful to place the pull fan on the cooler, i.e. could you get adaquate cooling with the smaller cooler?
Another option I have heard of is the GT flares. Mine has the 9" flares in the rear. Certainly enough room in there even if I put the 255's in there. This would provide a heat sheild between the cooler and engine compartment and would allow for short plumbing/wiring. I quess you would have to design a way to cover from mud/dirt from the tire. Have you seen this setup?
Thanks,
L. McC

The tech article on the Bird site:http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_ext_oil_cooler/914_ext_oil_cooler.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.