Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vapor Lock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
papermaster
Recently purchased a 2.0L 1974 and noticed during a long highway drive 2 1/2 hrs plus during a refuel stop. Car won't start, have lights and radio etc, idiots lights come on during turning of key. It appears the fuel pump it working (slight noise) but nothing else as in no clicking or noise from solenoid and naturally the starter. Able to get the car started via push method. Get car home (2 hrs plus from refuel point) and attempt to restart and same exact problems. Tried two days later and car starts fine now. Vapor-lock? or is this something else?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(papermaster @ Apr 22 2004, 07:32 AM)
Vapor-lock? or is this something else?

vapor lock symptoms are: engine cranks, won't fire.

no-crank is the (in)famour 914 'hot-start' problem. a search through the various archives for
'hot start' will turn up all the usual solutions, which always include cleaning all the grounds really well (especially the transmission ground strap) and (ultimately) replacing the starter and solenoid. there are a few intermediate things that sometimes work for a while, and there are some band-aids like adding a relay.
SirAndy
QUOTE(papermaster @ Apr 22 2004, 08:32 AM)
Vapor-lock?

nope. vapor lock is what rich said ^^^ ...

your starter is starting to go bad. ask me how i know. <_<
get it replaced with a new 911 starter or better yet, get a high torque starter and be happy for another 30 years ...

Andy
I had the same problem last summer...jump started it back home, and replaced the starter with a 911 starter. works great.
Targa
QUOTE(papermaster @ Apr 22 2004, 07:32 AM)
Recently purchased a 2.0L 1974

Show us some pic's of your 914 and tell us a little about how you got into 914's wink.gif
Gint
Welcome to the club! agree.gif with everyone else. You've got the dreaded hot start problem.
jarbuthnot
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 22 2004, 06:49 PM)
You've got the dreaded hot start problem.

Sounds very familiar. Ask me how I know. biggrin.gif )
Trekkor
I suffer from actual vapor lock.

Regarding the hot start, last car had it, this car has it.

Both cars got the band-aid. Problem solved.

Not the " right way " to fix it... I know.

But; hay!, eye donut mind. wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.