Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cold, damp and won't start! What's the trick?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris Pincetich
For the second time this month I got up, saw the sun shining, took the cover and tarp off the 914, and it won't start. It is parked in a place that is always cold and damp in the mornings, and no other options exist to park it elsewhere. Because of the leaves and bird droppings and intense morning dew, it will remain double covered most days and overnight.

I recall my old superbeetle had this problem too - It wouldn't start after rain.

I turn the key, hear the fuel pump, hear some other electrical type hum, no clicking and no cranking. My battery has been very good to me, I do think it is A-OK.

I recall popping the distributor cap on the bug, drying out that area, and usually that worked.

What's the trick in the 914? I want to drive it more often, but don't have time in the morning before work to play with it to diagnose this.

FYI - it did this last week, and this weekend around noon I started it up no problemo. It just hates cold, damp, morning starts. Coffee works for me! What works for the 914?? beerchug.gif

jt914-6
Using points?? Take the dist. cap off and spray points with WD-40 and inside of cap...gets rid of any moisture that's there....if no points, spray inside of cap/rotor anyway....
SirAndy
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Nov 12 2010, 10:25 AM) *
no cranking

How old is your ignition switch? idea.gif
Chris Pincetich
Stock FI throughout, so yes, points (just changed them 3 months ago)

Original ignition switch, new one in box on shelf for planned interior restoration.

Rain tray installed.
TheCabinetmaker
Replace that switch now, and maybe that will help. Certainly can't hurt.
bandjoey
Agree on Ign switch. There is a plastic plug on the rear that cracks and
causes starting problems. It's a simple process to change that part. I think there's a tech article on Pelican. Search here might turn up a thread too.
r_towle
Ed taught me this one...its simple.
Put car in NEUTRAL
Chock the wheels.
Take a quarter and while leaning under the passenger rear wheel, you are going to touch the big positive lead on the starter to the small spade plug on the starter (pull off the yellow wire)

The quarter spans the distance perfectly.

If the car turns over, its a dead ignition switch.
If not, you may need a new battery.

Rich
MartyYeoman
Install a "hot start relay" and take the load off that poor ignition switch. stirthepot.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Nov 12 2010, 11:02 AM) *

....So what!....do you understand the reliability of points?? sad.gif poke.gif
and listen to Marty(hot start kit)
bye1.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Nov 12 2010, 12:02 PM) *

Original ignition switch, new one in box on shelf for planned interior restoration.

Rain tray installed.

Stock EFI 1.7/1.8/2.0 - Owner'sManual says fully depress gas pedal & hold until started (pg. 13 IIRC) - if you're starting it (& Super Beetle EFI) without that technique (i.e.: as we do with more "modern" EFI cars), then it will be hard to start. If you're not starting per Porsche spec, then try altering your starting technique first, & then look for other issues if that doesn't help.

Also, 914's EFI electrical connections are susceptible to moisture &/or corrosion in a number of EFI mechanical connectors & operators (e.g.: TPS), so regularly cleaning them out & spraying with Wurth Contact Oil (or similar) helps. When I lived 3 blocks from the ocean in Huntington Beach is was a 6-12 month ritual to clean & coat them - even when my 914 was relatively new in the 70's.

BTW - an intermittent ground fault at the starter or transaxle-to-body (strap) can also cause starter to not work intermittently.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 16 2010, 12:23 PM) *
Stock EFI 1.7/1.8/2.0 - Owner'sManual says fully depress gas pedal & hold until started (pg. 13 IIRC) - if you're starting it (& Super Beetle EFI) without that technique (i.e.: as we do with more "modern" EFI cars), then it will be hard to start. If you're not starting per Porsche spec, then try altering your starting technique first, & then look for other issues if that doesn't help.

What good does that do if the starter doesn't turn over??? confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.