Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Conversion thread..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ONTHEGRIND
Well just wanted to do a thread hopefully I can have this done before x-mas... Base engine is a 2.2 t but being that I do cylinder head and turbo charger fab and high performance engine coating's I am sure I can get some extra power out of this esp. since I am not far from Jerry woods and German precision machine is now located at our old shop I am gonna take full advantage of my resources... Just went and picked this up today a little grimey but it ran before it got pulled.. I plan on taking full advantage of the current group buys and will probably end up using the elepahant racing oil cooling lines..

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
silver74insocal
piratenanner.gif lets do this!!!
ONTHEGRIND
Just got done rebuilding some carbs for this engine still waiting on my big box of parts...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(ONTHEGRIND @ Nov 12 2010, 04:52 PM) *
since I am not far from Jerry woods

Say hi to Rich Walton from me when you're over there ... bye1.gif

This thread will be interesting to watch. biggrin.gif
ONTHEGRIND
Yeah I thought I was gonna tear the engine apart and build it but I am just going to leave it as is and just put it in the car and get it running.. I need to finish this so I can start on the next project..

IPB Image
Scott S
Did you just buy this car, or was it recently for sale? I really think it is great looking - and I am usually not a big fan of the 916 stuff. Fun to watch it come together! beerchug.gif

FANTASTIC long nose. Steel or glass body work? I really want an ST replica some day.

Good stuff!!
ONTHEGRIND
Thanks I have had the car for a few years now.It had a 1.7 Then I started having issues with the 1.7 So i was going to sell it and work on the 911 but decided I was going to do the swap..

The white car is all steal.. probably gonna use a 3.0 iroc front bumper
ONTHEGRIND
Got caught up working on my Dads Hot Rod.. SO I haven't done much Other then yank the fan off and blasted it to get ready for coating which should arrive today. I may end up going with the getty Carbon Fiber engine shroud even though I really wanted to make my own along with some carbon fiber engine tins..
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
ONTHEGRIND
Here are some more pics of the fan ..
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
silver74insocal
looks great! hows the car? is it ready for the new power plant ? any stiffening happen yet? (thats what she said) ..what brakes are you currently/going to run? sticking with the 901 gearbox? please elaborate..thanks and keep up the good work beerchug.gif Dave
ONTHEGRIND
Well i am fixing some monor rust issue's on the body when i am done with that will be doing some stiffining i do have one of mcmarks gt cages on the way, rite now my main focus is getting the engine in the car and deciding whether i am going to run the petersen oil tank or a stock mount set up.. Although i am leaning towards the petersen system ...
ONTHEGRIND
Today I didn't get much done just some cleaning and I ordered some timing chain cover gaskets for now i just put the old ones on just to keep dirt out of the engine even though they look horrible in the pics and were previously covered with a gallon of sealant..

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
plymouth37
That engine looks great, nice work!
ONTHEGRIND
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
ONTHEGRIND
I am waiting for some parts on my other carb to arrive So I started getting the car ready for mcmarks gt cage I Yanked the seats scraped the floor pan and found some rust on the floor pans I am going to replace the rear pan and patch the front pan and going to lower the seat mounting brackets anyone know the best spot weld remover to use ? I will post videos in about an hour..

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
ONTHEGRIND
I was looking at other projects looks like alot of people with worse rust were using patches instead of whole pans what do you guys recomend ?
two-strokejohn
Partial and full pans aren't that expensive from restoration design. If you're going to cut one out correctly, use the reproduction parts. Most of them fit like new. IMHO
biosurfer1
where about in CA are you?
ONTHEGRIND
I am in San Jose Ca I am going to get the repro. Pans I dont want to cut corners I did make these up today the are lower then the stock one by 3/4 in. I will finish them tomorrow

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
ONTHEGRIND
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WAJRTlJ51Y
ONTHEGRIND
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
McMark
Pretty standard rust damage you got there. I'd pick up a reproduction rear floor pan and just use the sections that are rusted out if you want to take some acceptable shortcuts. Installing a full rear pan takes a long time, so it's not a project to be undertaken lightly, but the payoff is some peace of mind knowing that you've eliminated a lot of surface rust.

The rust on the vertical walls is the kind of stuff that I just make my own panels for. No complicated bends, so it's just trim & patch. Not worth the expense of buying formed pieces.

Check under your pedal cluster for rust as well. And what's up with the area where the seat belt reel attaches?
arkitect
Great before and after shots on your carbs and motor, amazing the difference.

What did you do to make such crisp bends for your seat mount? Almost looks like put a slight cut on one side before the bend.

Dave
ONTHEGRIND
Yeah i put a nice slice in them and then put tach welds on them..
ONTHEGRIND
The front of the car looks good and solid around the pedals only the rear part had carpets.. As for the seat belts looked like jb weld i ground it off and the metal was real solid i am gonna use harness's so i am gonna delete the holes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.